Librivox Community Podcasts - 2011

Non-reading activities need your help too!
RuthieG

Post by RuthieG »

Thank you, Lars. :) I will go and pinch it from there as I am doing it this time.

Ruth
My LV catalogue page | RuthieG's CataBlog of recordings | Tweet: @RuthGolding
Rowland

Post by Rowland »

Fine.
I wasn't sure who was taking charge this time, as both of you had volunteered to do it.

Good luck.
Lars :)
Good friends are like angels... ...you don't have to see them to know they are there
Sandra7

Post by Sandra7 »

Hello again,
Thank you for your suggestions Cori. Esther, where can I find a copy of the phone interview so that I can listen to it?

All the best,
Sandra.
RuthieG

Post by RuthieG »

There is a separate post for the 6th Anniversary Podcast, Lars, but it has slipped down the list a little. It is here: viewtopic.php?f=22&t=34293

Ruth
Starlite

Post by Starlite »

Sandra7 wrote:Hello again,
Thank you for your suggestions Cori. Esther, where can I find a copy of the phone interview so that I can listen to it?

All the best,
Sandra.
http://librivox.org/2008/07/24/librivox-community-podcast-84/

Found it!

Esther :)
"Reasonable people adapt themselves to the world. Unreasonable
people attempt to adapt the world to themselves. All progress,
therefore, depends on unreasonable people." George Bernard Shaw
RuthieG

Post by RuthieG »

As the suspense is killing me, and it must be the 10th August in Australia already...

Happy 6th Anniversary LibriVox!

Listen to LibriVox Community Podcast Show #116
http://www.archive.org/download/librivox_community_2011/librivox_community_podcast_116.mp3

Duration: 44:21
Hosted by Ruth Golding (RuthieG), with
  • Tributes to:

The late Chris Booth (icyjumbo) including an extract from his reading of William Wilberforce's 1789 speech 'On Slavery'.
    The late Alan Davis Drake (Cloud Mountain) including his reading of Jazz Fantasia by Carl Sandburg
  • Contributions from:

Andy Minter (ExEmGe) on 'Where to listen to LibriVox audiobooks'
    Hugh McGuire (hugh) taking a measured look at the future of LibriVox
    David Lawrence (aradlaw) and the readers of Karawane by Hugo Ball
    Don W. Jenkins (maxfarce) and Dawn Larsen (Bead Krazy Dawn) reading some of their conversations as reader and proof-listener during recording of The Exploits of Juve, introduced by Nadine Eckert-Boulet (neckertb)
    Bob Gonzalez (bobgon55) on the thoughts and feelings of an enthusiastic new volunteer
    Anniversary greetings from JemmaBlythe, Psudonae_Vox and Steve (slmitchell)
    Lars Rolander (Rowland) on the cultural value of LibriVox
    The first LibriVox book... and GabrielleC reading a poem in the 6th Anniversary Collection.
  • Musical silliness (as expected) from:

RuthieG - disgraceful parodies of
    My old dutch (1893) words by Albert Chevalier (1861–1923), music by Charles Ingle (Auguste Chevalier) (1863-1940)
    Waiting at the church (1906) words by Fred W. Leigh, music by Henry E. Pether (1868-1932)
    Daisy Bell (1892) written and composed by Harry Dacre (1860-1922)
    I do like to be beside the seaside (1907) written by John A. Glover-Kind (1882-1918) with a special guest appearance by Nadine. :lol:
Ruth
bart
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by bart »

Oh Ruth,
A great podcast!
And that singing!
I am a London addict (well not exactly right now...) and I used to go to the Players Theatre to see the Victorian Music Hall.
I recognised all songs you used! Pity that the Music Hall is closed, but I have their CD, and now I also have your interpretations.
Really great!

Bart
Alle Nederlandstalige projecten op de Librivox Boekenplank
RuthieG

Post by RuthieG »

Thank you, Bart!

I could get a taste for this, and I already have plans for a short podcast about copyright. It won't be as dry as that might suggest though there will NOT BE ANY SONGS! :lol:

I would welcome any questions (though not guaranteeing I will be able to answer them) or any short contributions on the subject. It would be nice for there to be some variety in the voices, not just mine, so please record them and upload to my folder (rg-RuthieG) with a file name like copyrightpodcast_[yourinitials].mp3 and PM me to let me know. If you really don't want to record them, I am happy for you just to PM your questions.

I hope that people will jump in and do some more podcasts first though, on a subject that interests you. It would be good to get them up and running on a more regular basis. Just add your details to the Community Podcast page on the Wiki, and post here to let us know about it.

Ruth
Timothy Ferguson

Post by Timothy Ferguson »

Would this be suitable for a segement in the podcast?

Next year in Australia is the National Year of Reading, which is meant ot be a rather huge sort of deal in my industry (libraries).

What I'd like to do is run a blog in which I collect all of the Australian-themed or Australian-performed material from Librivox.

I'd like to use the community podcast to ask people if they would be interested in recording Australia-relevant material, and if so, to drop me a PM.

Would that fit?

(As a challenge, the Year of Reading runs officially from Valentine's Day to about Christmas, and it would be good to be able to highlight one recording a week. There are a few already in the catalogue, to work over the holidays, and 45 or so recordings with Australian performers or related material isn't all that hard for LV, particularly since some are already done, and I'll probably record a few myself.)
My occasional blog is Games from Folktales
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Shame we can't do any of the Arthur Upfield mysteries with Napoleon Boneparte!

Todd
Cori

Post by Cori »

Timothy Ferguson wrote:I'd like to use the community podcast to ask people if they would be interested in recording Australia-relevant material, and if so, to drop me a PM.

Would that fit?
Yes, absolutely. :D You could do a tiny advert asking, that'd be fine -- but it'd also be cool to hear a bit more about the Year, plans for marking it, etc. And some samples from a few of the classics we've got already might be nice.
There's honestly no such thing as a stupid question -- but I'm afraid I can't rule out giving a stupid answer : : To Posterity and Beyond!
Timothy Ferguson

Cori wrote:
Timothy Ferguson wrote:I'd like to use the community podcast to ask people if they would be interested in recording Australia-relevant material, and if so, to drop me a PM.

Would that fit?
Yes, absolutely. :D You could do a tiny advert asking, that'd be fine -- but it'd also be cool to hear a bit more about the Year, plans for marking it, etc. And some samples from a few of the classics we've got already might be nice.
Well, there are meant to be events in most towns, run by most libraries, but it doesn't kick ofrf until afterChristmas, so many of us are keeping our powder dry for now. 8)

We have 28 books or series in the catalogue that are suitable. I typed them out by my computer ate them so... Basically this means that for my 1 book a week idea, I need another 18, ,ore if I do a whole year rather than launching on Valentine's Day. 8)
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

Hi Timothy

A Nice idea - the podcast would be good - but as well as a suggestion

We could start a thread of our own here - in which the first post had a list of what had been done , and the second post detailing what your requirements are exactly.
And maybe any suggestions for projects not already read.
A few points to consider - I assume Little Bush Maid , Seven Little Australians and The Magic Pudding for example could not be included as they are not PD in Australia (drat it :twisted: )
You would include
Australian book read by anyone - e.g. My Brilliant Career

? Books soloed by Australians that are not about Australia ?

What about books like Mark Twain's Around the equator - which has a big section about Australia in it
Or Jules Verne - "Children of Captain Grant" where they travel across Southern Australia as part of the great search ?
There are some Henry Lawson short stories - and probably some Australian poems around

Anne

The thread would need to be started by you , then I could edit it as well, if I start it you can't
Timothy Ferguson

annise wrote:Hi Timothy

We could start a thread of our own here - in which the first post had a list of what had been done , and the second post detailing what your requirements are exactly.
A few points to consider - I assume Little Bush Maid , Seven Little Australians and The Magic Pudding for example could not be included as they are not PD in Australia (drat it :twisted: )
You would include

What about books like Mark Twain's Around the equator - which has a big section about Australia in it
Or Jules Verne - "Children of Captain Grant" where they travel across Southern Australia as part of the great search ?
There are some Henry Lawson short stories - and probably some Australian poems around

Anne

The thread would need to be started by you , then I could edit it as well, if I start it you can't
Anne, these are all good ideas, which I'll follow up tonight.

Yes, I think works about Australia, or by Australians, would suit. Work by Australian narrators is the obvious extension if I can't find a way to stretch things to 52 recordings. I'd need help from Librivoxers to find the authors...I mean, its very difficult to knowthat the guy who wrote X was Australian. Many of the early athors covered it up.

It's a pity about Mary Grant Bruce and Norman Lindsay. 8(
Timothy Ferguson

annise wrote:Hi Timothy

You would include

Anne

Thread up here: viewtopic.php?f=22&t=36161