[COMPLETE] Sylvie and Bruno Concluded, by Lewis Carroll - ce

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
ceastman

Post by ceastman »

Sylvie and Bruno Concluded, by Lewis Carroll (1832-1898) .

This project is now complete! All audio files can be found on our catalog page: http://librivox.org/sylvie-and-bruno-concluded-by-lewis-carroll/
Sylvie and Bruno Concluded continues the adventures of the many characters in the previous volume Sylvie and Bruno. The fairy-children Sylvie and Bruno are charming whenever they appear, their fairy companions such as the Professor delight in taking ideas to their logical (and humorous) conclusions, and many nonsense songs are sung. Meanwhile, the mortals (comprised of the unnamed narrator, the gracious Lady Muriel and the sententious Arthur) tend to become the vehicles for Carroll's regular sermons on morality and proper Christian values. (Summary by Catharine Eastman)
  • Target completion date: Dec 31, 2011
  • Text source (only read from this text!): link here
  • Type of proof-listening required (Note: please read the PL FAQ): Standard

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the amount of languishing projects (and hence the amount of files on our hard-pressed server), we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't managed to record anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project will be opened up to a group project as soon as a Book Coordinator can be found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to have it re-instated).

Magic Window:

BC Admin
  • The reader will record the following at the beginning and end of each file:
    No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!

Start of recording (Intro)
    • "Chapter [number] of [Book title]. - This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name]"
    • Say:
      "[Book title], by [Author]. [Translated by [translator]]. [Chapter]"
    For the second and all subsequent sections, you may optionally use the shortened form of this intro disclaimer:
    • "Chapter [number] of [Book title] by [Author]. [Translated by [translator]]. This LibriVox recording is in the Public Domain.
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name]"
    • Only if applicable, say:
      "[Chapter title]"
    End of recording
    • At the end of the section, say:
      End of [Chapter]"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
      "End of [Book title], by [Author]. [Translated by [translator]]."
    There should be 5 seconds silence at the end of the recording, or 10 seconds for files longer than 30 minutes.
  • Example filename
    sylviebrunoconcluded_##_carroll.mp3
  • Example ID3 V2 tags
    Title: ## - [Section title]
    Artist: Lewis Carroll
    Album: Sylvie and Bruno Concluded
  • Instructions for soloist: transfer of files (completed recordings)
    Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file.
    Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
    • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader (when your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread):
      http://dev.librivox.org/login/uploader
      (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
      You'll need to select an MC, which for this project is: ce - ceastman
    • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.
ceastman

Post by ceastman »

Time for a new solo project!

Having listened to and greatly enjoyed the recording of Sylvie and Bruno, I thought it only reasonable to record the other half of the story - so as to find out how the story concludes, you see.

I'm giving myself plenty of time. This is a longer book than any I've ever done before, and between the demands of family, work, and the siren call of collaborative projects, I'm figuring it'll take me at least a year and a half to finish this.

Peter and I will listen to the files at home before I submit them, but I can always stand to have another ear on, if someone wishes to sign up to be DPL. I'll move this to the Going Solo forum in a couple of days either way.

-Catharine
aravis

Post by aravis »

Hi Catharine!

I'd love to DPL, if I may! :D
Elli

"Tiefer und tiefer zogen die Buchstaben ihn hinab, wie ein Strudel aus Tinte...dorthin wo auch Staubfinger verschwunden war. An den Ort, an dem alle Geschichten enden." (Cornelia Funke)
ppcunningham

Post by ppcunningham »

I have a text version I've been working on to submit to Gutenberg, if you'd rather read from that -

Patti
The trouble with life isn't that there is no answer, it's that there are so many answers. Ruth Benedict

Non curo. Si metrum non habet, non est poema

My Page
Lucy_k_p

Post by Lucy_k_p »

And I've got a set of GoogleDocs. I was going to do this as a group project eventually but I kept putting it off. Unfortunately I find bits of the Sylvie and Bruno series rather dull and preachy, and I hadn't quite decided what to do with the tables in the preface.
I'm glad you liked Sylvie and Bruno though and I am glad this is getting done for completenesses sake.
So little space, so much to say.
ppcunningham

Post by ppcunningham »

Ditto from me on the preachy bit - not nearly as fun as the first book.

Patti
The trouble with life isn't that there is no answer, it's that there are so many answers. Ruth Benedict

My Page
ceastman

Post by ceastman »

Aravis, you're on for DPL!

Patti, I'd love to have access to the Gutenberg project you're working on.

Hmm. I haven't actually read the book... If it gets preachy beyond my ability to deal, I'll open it up as a collaborative. Thanks very much for the warnings.

Moving to Going Solo.

-Catharine
Lucy_k_p

Post by Lucy_k_p »

The story isn't too bad, especially the Fairyland bits, but the Preface is rather rambling and he does take the opportunity to pontificate a little.

Although I don't think it's quite as bad as the Preface for the first book, where, among other things, he said young ladies should be given editions of Shakespeare with all the interesting (well, he said unsuitable, but it's basically the same thing) bits cut out. Or that while hunting was bad, it was particularly bad when women did it, as women are meant (by God!) to be sweet, gentle and nurturing creatures.

By the way, if you come up with a better summary than the one I ended up copying from Wikipedia and using for Sylvie and Bruno, may I steal it? We'll need to link the two catalogue pages when you're done as well.
So little space, so much to say.
ppcunningham

Post by ppcunningham »

https://docs.google.com/document/edit?id=1WRFLhC5DDZ5eLUjs3R2H_90kCUmJp_FlGGpDZaX2sgU&hl=en&authkey=CNOF0rgC

Here is the link to the Gutenberg project I have in progress.

It's up to you, of course, but I'd suggest skipping the Preface and just reading the chapters.

Patti

My Page
ceastman

Post by ceastman »

Thanks, Patty!

I actually find the Preface kind of interesting, so I'm recording it. The complex (and utterly useless to a listener) table is being left out - I'm just saying 'please see electronic text' instead. The second table is both short and, if anyone feels like paying that much attention, potentially interesting, so it's going in, with a short bit of explanation. I'm happy to change either one if people feel it's contrary to the usual Librivox practices.

Muchly done with recording the Preface; I 'spect I'll post it next weekend or early next week.

-Catharine
aravis

Post by aravis »

Looking forward to listening! :D
Elli

"Tiefer und tiefer zogen die Buchstaben ihn hinab, wie ein Strudel aus Tinte...dorthin wo auch Staubfinger verschwunden war. An den Ort, an dem alle Geschichten enden." (Cornelia Funke)
ceastman

Post by ceastman »

aravis

Post by aravis »

Downloading! :D
Elli

aravis

Post by aravis »

Preface is great! :D
Elli

ceastman

Post by ceastman »

Thank you!

-Catharine