List Translators?

Comments about LibriVox? Suggestions to improve things? News?
Peter Why

Post by Peter Why »

Would it be possible to keep a list of LV members who are able to translate text between languages .... and are willing to do so for other readers.

They could be self-graded in terms of competence, and, perhaps have a flag auto-generated from the forum to show when they were last active here, to avoid trying to contact apostates.

Perhaps add a couple of fields to the Profile: languages I can speak, languages which I can translate between. We could prompt existing users to update their profiles, then extract into a separate database?

Peter
"I think, therefore I am, I think." Solomon Cohen, in Terry Pratchett's Dodger
metal.lunchbox

Post by metal.lunchbox »

I think this is an excellent idea. alot of things like this stay in the forums which is a terribly inefficient way of organizing information. I would only repeat exactly what you said, but suggest that we need a more diverse types of ways of handling information such as a more complex catalog of recordings which can be searched by reader, author, title, length, language, and rated but listeners. A more interesting catalogue of readers would be interesting as well, which your translator idea would be well integrated into. Unfortunately I'm not an informaticien and wouldn't be able to build such a system myself. My limited experience with scripting makes me think that it would not be challenging for someone who works in web-design. I personally would like to search for more works read by ndoo because her voice makes me weak. And sometimes that's a good thing. I also do translation, French-English, though not professionally. I would rank myself at 2/5 from English to French. 1 being able to translate a text preserving the meaning and producing a legible and somewhat natural translation and 5 being perfect. I would rank myself as 3/5 from French to English depending on the difficulty of the text.

James
James | [url=http://librivox.org/wiki/moin.cgi/JamesSmith]LV Wiki Page[/url] | "Tout et n'importe quoi mais surtout n'importe quoi" - Basile
Starlite

Post by Starlite »

Have You looked at the thread about cataloguing?

http://librivox.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=187

:D
"Reasonable people adapt themselves to the world. Unreasonable
people attempt to adapt the world to themselves. All progress,
therefore, depends on unreasonable people." George Bernard Shaw
kri

Post by kri »

Whoo boy James, would we ever wish for that too. We've been working to do what we can to have a database driven site, but it isn't a matter of someone knowing web design to be able to do it. We need someone who is familiar with back-end website design, who can create databases and websites that interact with them. Apparently these people are hard to find!
metal.lunchbox

Post by metal.lunchbox »

Starlite

Have You looked at the thread about cataloguing?
oh. I see. I suppose you're all a bit further along on this than I thought.

James
James | [url=http://librivox.org/wiki/moin.cgi/JamesSmith]LV Wiki Page[/url] | "Tout et n'importe quoi mais surtout n'importe quoi" - Basile