[COMPLETE;ADVENTURE] The Wizard by H. Rider Haggard -lz

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
blawprof

Post by blawprof »

The Wizard by H. Rider Haggard (22 June 1856 – 14 May 1925).

This project is now complete! All audio files can be found on our catalog page: http://librivox.org/the-wizard-by-h-rider-haggard/
Described by the author, best known for his King Solomon's Mines, as "a tale of victorious faith," this story begins on a Sunday afternoon in an English church. Most of the book, though, is set in Africa, and the adventure story is as engaging as any of Haggard's African tales. What makes this one different is the religious question: What has happened to miracles in the church? Is there any power left in Jesus' promise, "Whoso that believeth in me, the works that I do he shall do also, and whatsoever ye shall ask in my name, that will I do"?
  • Target completion date: December 25, 2010
  • Text source (only read from this text!): http://www.gutenberg.org/etext/2893 - Alternative: Public Domain Books' Kindle edition: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000JQU8Z2/ref=myk_orders_title
  • Type of proof-listening required (Note: please read the PL FAQ): Standard

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the amount of languishing projects (and hence the amount of files on our hard-pressed server), we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't managed to record anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project will be opened up to a group project as soon as a Book Coordinator can be found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to have it re-instated).

MAGIC WINDOW:

(BC admin)
  • The reader will record the following at the beginning and end of each file:
    No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!

Start of recording (Intro)
    • "Chapter 1 of The Wizard. - This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name]"
    • Say:
      "The Wizard by H. Rider Haggard. [Chapter]"

For the second and all subsequent sections, you may optionally use the shortened form of this intro disclaimer:
    • "Chapter [number] of The Wizard by H. Rider Haggard. This LibriVox recording is in the Public Domain.
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name]"
    • Only if applicable, say:
      "[Chapter title]"

End of recording
    • At the end of the section, say:
      End of [Chapter]"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
      "End of The Wizard by H. Rider Haggard."

There should be 5 seconds silence at the end of the recording, or 10 seconds for files longer than 30 minutes.
  • Example filename
    wizard_##_haggard.mp3
  • Example ID3 V2 tags
    Title: ## - [Section title]
    Artist: H. Rider Haggard
    Album: The Wizard
  • Instructions for soloist: transfer of files (completed recordings)
    Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file.
    Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
    • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader (when your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread):
      http://upload.librivox.org
      (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
      You'll need to select an MC, which for this project is: lz - lezer
    • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.
Last edited by blawprof on September 13th, 2010, 6:24 pm, edited 4 times in total.
lezer

Post by lezer »

Oh. Have fun :)

This is a good place to start to find out how: http://librivox.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=13513

Anna
lezer

Post by lezer »

Hi blawprof,
Thanks for putting in the template. Heard your test in the other subforum - seems like you are ready to go on to recording.

If you look at the template in the wiki ( http://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/Project_Templates_for_Soloists ) you'll see some of the things in the bottom part of the template are in bold. Those need to be filled out as well. I know there's a lot of details, which can be a bit overwhelming the first time. I can be your MC for this project.

I think it'll be best if we put in the link to the gutenberg text instead of the amazon.com site where you have to pay for the text... Hope you agree. And June 30 for a deadline: that's very ambitious for a complete book, especially a first solo!

I'll set up the project in the database and will be right back with more info.

Anna
lezer

Post by lezer »

Hello Michael,
Well, your solo is set up. MW is in place. Is all new to you too, of course. It may be a good idea to get familiar with the whole process by recording just a short poem or chapter for one of the collections or group projects. However, I know some people when they first come here have something against that idea. So since I know your technical setup is OK (I mean your test recording was good :)), you may as well start on your solo :D

I've filled in the rest of the template for you this time, to give you an example.
I'll send you a PM with information on how you can fill in the magic window and use it; in your solo you are your own book-coordinator. Now we only need a proof-listener. Have you read the book before? If so, it may be a good idea to put a little more in the summary, to work as an advertisement for potential PL-ers passing by. You can always decide on the final summary at the end of the project.
Because I don't know the book, I have trouble picking the right genre - could you help? (We can also fill this in at the end if you don't know yet) Here is the list of options: http://librivox.org/newcatalog/genres.php You can pick as many as you want.

OK - have fun, and don't hesitate to ask if you have any questions.

Anna
blawprof

Post by blawprof »

I edited the description, but I'm not sure where to put the genre --- and it probably fits more than one: Fiction/Adventure. Maybe even Fiction/Adventure/Religion.
lezer

Post by lezer »

Description looks good.
And that's a special combination: adventure and religion - let's put all of them. :)
lezer

Post by lezer »

Over to "Going Solo".
lezer

Post by lezer »

Hello Michael,
How are you doing? Haven't heard from you for some weeks, and no files so far....?? Could you keep us posted on your progress? Don't hesitate to ask if you have any questions.
Anna
blawprof

Post by blawprof »

Here's the link for Chapter 1: http://upload.librivox.org/share/uploads/lz/Wizard_Chapter_1.mp3

If it's okay, I'll go on to Chapter 2.

Have I posted the link in the right place, or was i supposed to put it in the Magic Window?

Mike
lezer

Post by lezer »

Hi Michael,
Thanks for sending me a PM to bring this to my attention - I'm sorry, I never noticed your post. Yes, please both post AND put it in the MW.

Glad to see that you decided to take the plunge. How did you like it, making the recording?

A few comments:
- I did a spotcheck: good recording, technical settings OK etc. The last minutes of the recording are louder than the first - it might be a good idea to try a bit of levelling: http://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/Levelling
- Also: please follow the directions in the first post about the mp3 file name (no capital letters, and in the form of "wizard_01_haggard" - this is not some frivolous suggestion, but rather to make sure files sort properly on the mp3 players or computers of your listeners)
- Also: please follow the directions in the first post about the ID3 title tag (so should be what I have now put in the title field of the MW - again, not just a frivolous suggestion but actually something that was developed over the years - some mp3 players sort on title tag so "chapter 1" would be followed by "chapter 2" and then "chapter 20"…. - that's why we put in the 01 etc there.) Tip: if you keep the title field in the MW correct it makes it easier for me in the end to correct all individual title tags with one automatic push on a button while cataloguing.
- About the MW: as soon as you put in a Listen! link I'd advise you to click the "complete" box - makes it easier for the PL-er to see what is ready for listening. I've put in a note "PL needed" as well for that purpose.
- Now that you have completed a recording I will advertise to find a PL-er for the project.
- You put a deadline for yourself of August 31, 2010…. Any ideas for a new deadline?

Anna
blawprof

Post by blawprof »

I have done light leveling, changed the name, and changed the id3 tag (there were other fields, like "genre" that I left with the previous entries...should those be blank?). The url: http://upload.librivox.org/share/uploads/lz/wizard_01_haggard.mp3.
I also changed my target finish date to Christmas. My mother can't read anymore, and Christmas is my drop-dead date if I want to get the CDs into her stocking.
Did I get it all right?
lezer

Post by lezer »

Yes! Thanks! (I updated the url link for the listen link but otherwise all looked fine!)

That's a nice goal. Since there is a little bit of cataloguing for me to do after you have completed recording, and even the final files would need to be PL-ed, perhaps it would be even better to try to finish on Dec 22 or 23 at the latest. That will give me a little time to do the cataloguing, before I leave for my own family visits. :D

But things do get easier once you've started :)
libraryanne

Post by libraryanne »

I am downloading section 1 for PL'ing.

Back soon with my notes!

Cheers,
Betty
libraryanne

Post by libraryanne »

I've PL'ed secton 1 and it is PL OK!

Great reading. :)

Best regards,
Betty