COMPLETE - Defoe's Journal of the Plague Year -AF/ec

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
RuthieG

Post by RuthieG »

Sections 15, 16 and 17 are OK, apart from a few little places which I have fixed up.

While going through the beginnings and endings of the final chapters, though, I find another missing passage at the beginning of Section 20:
I would be far from lessening the awe of the judgements of God and the reverence to His providence which ought always to be on our minds on such occasions as these. Doubtless the visitation itself is a stroke from Heaven upon a city, or country, or nation where it falls; a messenger of His vengeance, and a loud call to that nation or country or city to humiliation and repentance, according to that of the prophet Jeremiah (xviii. 7, 8): 'At what instant I shall speak concerning a nation, and concerning a kingdom, to pluck up, and to pull down, and to destroy it; if that nation against whom I have pronounced turn from their evil, I will repent of the evil that I thought to do unto them.' Now to prompt due impressions of the awe of God on the minds of men on such occasions, and not to lessen them, it is that I have left those minutes upon record.

I say, therefore, I reflect upon no man for putting the reason of those things upon the immediate hand of God, and the appointment and direction of His providence; nay, on the contrary, there were many wonderful deliverances of persons from infection, and deliverances of persons when infected, which intimate singular and remarkable providence in the particular instances to which they refer; and I esteem my own deliverance to be one next to miraculous, and do record it with thankfulness.

But when I am speaking of the plague as a distemper arising from natural causes, we must consider it as it was really propagated by natural means; nor is it at all the less a judgement for its being under the conduct of human causes and effects; for, as the Divine Power has formed the whole scheme of nature and maintains nature in its course, so the same Power thinks fit to let His own actings with men, whether of mercy or judgement, to go on in the ordinary course of natural causes; and He is pleased to act by those natural causes as the ordinary means, excepting and reserving to Himself nevertheless a power to act in a supernatural way when He sees occasion. Now 'tis evident that in the case of an infection there is no apparent extraordinary occasion for supernatural operation, but the ordinary course of things appears sufficiently armed, and made capable of all the effects that Heaven usually directs by a contagion. Among these causes and effects, this of the secret conveyance of infection, imperceptible and unavoidable, is more than sufficient to execute the fierceness of Divine vengeance, without putting it upon supernaturals and miracle.
Ruth
My LV catalogue page | RuthieG's CataBlog of recordings | Tweet: @RuthGolding
DSayers

Post by DSayers »

Here are the three paragraphs missing as the initial excerpt of Section 20:

http://upload.librivox.org/share/uploads/rg/plague_year_20_edits_rev_defoe.mp3

-denny
[u][url=http://tinyurl.com/MyLVReadings][color=purple][size=84]Projects Completed & In Progress[/size][/color][/url][/u].
RuthieG

Post by RuthieG »

OK, Denny. I have now uploaded all the new files to Internet Archive. There is still quite a bit of work to do before the catalogue page is correct, but I have to wait until Internet Archive has finished deriving the other formats before I can finish off the cataloguing.

Ruth
DSayers

Post by DSayers »

RuthieG wrote:OK, Denny. I have now uploaded all the new files to Internet Archive. There is still quite a bit of work to do before the catalogue page is correct, but I have to wait until Internet Archive has finished deriving the other formats before I can finish off the cataloguing.

Ruth
Thanks a million for all you've done so far!

-denny
[u][url=http://tinyurl.com/MyLVReadings][color=purple][size=84]Projects Completed & In Progress[/size][/color][/url][/u].
RuthieG

Post by RuthieG »

This project is now really complete!

All audio files can be found on our catalog page:
http://librivox.org/a-journal-of-the-plague-year-by-daniel-defoe/

Well done, Denny... :clap:

Ruth

PS The new cover and M4B are in process of being made.