[COMPLETE] As a Man Thinketh by James Allen - hok

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
AudioAndrea

Post by AudioAndrea »

As a Man Thinketh by James Allen (1864-1912)

This project is now complete! All audio files can be found on our catalog page:
http://librivox.org/as-a-man-thinketh-by-james-allen-2/

As a Man Thinketh is a literary essay of James Allen, published in 1902. The title is influenced by a verse in the Bible from the Book of Proverbs chapter 23 verse 7, “As a man thinketh in his heart, so is he.” The main concepts of this book as as follows:
  • Men do not attract what they want, but what they are.
  • A man is literally what he thinks, his character being the complete sum of all his thoughts.
  • Cherish your visions. Cherish your ideals. Cherish the music that stirs in your heart, the beauty that forms in your mind, the loveliness that drapes your purest thoughts, for out of them will grow all delightful conditions, all heavenly environment, of these, if you but remain true to them your world will at last be built.
  • The soul attracts that which it secretly harbors, that which it loves, and also that which it fears. It reaches the height of its cherished aspirations. It falls to the level of its unchastened desires - and circumstances are the means by which the soul receives its own.
  • Men are anxious to improve their circumstances, but are unwilling to improve themselves, they therefore remain bound.
  • Every action and feeling is preceded by a thought.
  • Right thinking begins with the words we say to ourselves.
  • Circumstance does not make the man, it reveals him to himself.
  • You cannot travel within and stand still without.
  • As the physically weak man can make himself strong by careful and patient training, so the man of weak thoughts, can make them strong by exercising himself in right thinking.
    (Introduction by Wikipedia)
  • Target completion date: May 30, 2010
  • Text source (only read from this text!): http://www.gutenberg.org/etext/4507
  • Type of proof-listening required (Note: please read the PL FAQ): Standard

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the amount of languishing projects (and hence the amount of files on our hard-pressed server), we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't managed to record anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project will be opened up to a group project as soon as a Book Coordinator can be found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to have it re-instated).

MAGIC WINDOW:

(BC admin)

===========================================
    This paragraph is temporary and will be replaced by the MC with the list of sections and reader (Magic Window) once this project is in the admin system.

Soloist - please provide *all of* the following:
    [list]
    [*]Link to author on Wikipedia (if available): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Allen_%28author%29
    [*]Link to title on Wikipedia (if available): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/As_a_man_thinketh
    [*]Number of sections (files) this project will have: 7
    [*]Does the project have an introduction or preface [y/n]: Y (Forward)
    [*]Original publication date (if known): ?
    [*]Year of author's death (note: in some countries copyright is author's death + 50 or 70 years): 1912
============================================[/size]

[*]The reader will record the following at the beginning and end of each file:
No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!

Start of recording (Intro)
  • "Chapter [number] of As a Man Thinketh. - This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
  • If you wish, say:
    "Recording by Andrea Fiore"
  • Say:
    "[As a Man Thinketh], by James Allen. Chapter [number]"
For the second and all subsequent sections, you may optionally use the shortened form of this intro disclaimer:
  • "Chapter [number] of As a Man Thinketh by James Allen. This LibriVox recording is in the Public Domain.
  • If you wish, say:
    "Recording by [Andrea Fiore]"
  • Only if applicable, say:
    "[Chapter title]"
End of recording
  • At the end of the section, say:
    End of [Chapter]"
  • If you wish, say:
    "Recording by Andrea Fiore"
  • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
    "End of As a Man Thinketh, by James Allen."
There should be 5 seconds silence at the end of the recording, or 10 seconds for files longer than 30 minutes.

[*]Example filename
asamanthinketh_##_allen.mp3

[*]Example ID3 V2 tags
Title: ## - [Section title]
Artist: James Allen
Album: As a Man Thinketh

[*]Instructions for soloist: transfer of files (completed recordings)
Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file.
Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
  • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader (when your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread):
    http://upload.librivox.org
    (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
    You'll need to select an MC, which for this project is: hok - Hokuspokus
  • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.
[/list]
Audio Andrea
The oak sleeps in the acorn; the bird waits in the egg; and in the highest vision of the soul a waking angel stirs. Dreams are the seedlings of realities. -James Allen
AudioAndrea

Post by AudioAndrea »

Rev. James Acker has volunteered to PL this book. Thanks!
Audio Andrea
The oak sleeps in the acorn; the bird waits in the egg; and in the highest vision of the soul a waking angel stirs. Dreams are the seedlings of realities. -James Allen
Hokuspokus

Post by Hokuspokus »

Hi Andrea,

I'm your MC for this project. Will be back with the Magic Window soon.

One question about your prooflistener: Has Rev James Acker already got his password for the MW?

EDIT: MW up and running. I move us to Going Solo, when you have seen this.
At cataloging time, could you please give me some keywords for the Archive page?
RuthieG

Post by RuthieG »

I PMed it to him when Andrea was going to do a different solo, but the PM is still sitting in my Outbox, so perhaps it would be better to PM him again.

Ruth
My LV catalogue page | RuthieG's CataBlog of recordings | Tweet: @RuthGolding
AudioAndrea

Post by AudioAndrea »

Thanks for MCing! I have notified James to check his email.

Keywords: new thought, philosophy, manifesting, abundance, truth, metaphysics, awareness

Looking forward to this project.
Audio Andrea
AudioAndrea

Post by AudioAndrea »

As it turns out, this piece will only have 6 sections. I will be including the Forward along with Chapter 1.
Audio Andrea
Hokuspokus

Post by Hokuspokus »

MW has 7 sections now, numbered from 1 to 7. Is this right?

I haven't PMed Rev James Acker the MW password again. If you need it, James, please let me know.

Thank you for the keywords, Andrea.

I move us to Going Solo.

Happy recording :D
AudioAndrea

Post by AudioAndrea »

Yes, 1-7 is correct. Thank you!
Audio Andrea
AudioAndrea

Post by AudioAndrea »

Forward & Chapter 1: 7:00

I noticed that "As a Man Thinketh" is listed as "As a Man Thinketh-1" on my catalog page....
http://librivox.org/newcatalog/people_public.php?peopleid=2196

Is it possible to remove the "-1", unless you feel it is important to keep it.

Thanks ;-)
Audio Andrea
Hokuspokus

Post by Hokuspokus »

There already is a version of "As a Man Thinketh" in the catalog. That's where -1 comes from. I will change that to version 2 at cataloging time.

Please don't worry about recording a second version. Second and third versions are very welcome. The choice of voices - something you can only find at LibriVox.
AudioAndrea

Post by AudioAndrea »

There already is a version of "As a Man Thinketh" in the catalog. That's where -1 comes from. I will change that to version 2 at cataloging time.
Hokuspokus, thanks so much for explaining this to me ;-)

I've uploaded Chapter 2, duration 22:00.
Audio Andrea
Hokuspokus

Post by Hokuspokus »

Hi Andrea,

We haven't heard from your DPL. Are you in touch? If not, should we advertise for someone else?
AudioAndrea

Post by AudioAndrea »

Hi Hokuspokus,

Still here! Life has been busy lately. I apologize for not posting an audio file for awhile. Could you put my book on hold... I do want to finish it up.

Thank you,
Andrea
Audio Andrea
Hokuspokus

Post by Hokuspokus »

I wasn't worried about you reading the book. Not yet. I am worried because I have seen nothing from Rev James Acker. Is he still on board?

If you want to go on recording, we don't need to put the project on hold. Would be good to hear from you every 4 weeks or so, no matter if you have recorded something or not.

Enjoy the summer! I hope RL gets less busy soon.
AudioAndrea

Post by AudioAndrea »

Hi Hokuspokus,

Finally finished recording the remaining chapters. The urls and recording durations have been posted in the magic window. James promises to have the book PL'ed within the next few days.

Thank you for your patience!
Audio Andrea