To Be Near Unto God by Abraham Kuyper, 1918 public domain?

Post your questions & get help from friendly LibriVoxers
littlecricket

Post by littlecricket »

:?: How to find out whether "To Be near Unto God" by Abraham Kuyper, D.D. published by Eerdmans-Sevensma Co, Grand Rapids, MI in 1918 is in the public domain?
I think it should be but although I have a hard copy, I can't find it online anywhere.
I think it would be a great book for someone to record sometime but rather long for a solo.
KiltedDragon
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by KiltedDragon »

If it was published in 1918, it is in the public domain.

An online copy can be found here: To Be Near Unto God but it is showing a copyright date of 1997 which makes this version NOT in the public domain.

EDIT: Found another online version here: http://www.kuyper.org/main/publish/books_essays/article_25.shtml along with this copyright notice on the website.
Web site copyright © The Kuyper Foundation 2003. Copyright on individual articles, essays, and audio files belongs to the authors. The texts of books reproduced on this site are out of copyright unless otherwise stated. Permission is hereby granted for the downloading, printing and copying of essays, articles, book texts, journals and audio files contained on this web site for personal use and for redistribution to others for personal use provided

(1) that this is done on a strictly non-profit basis,
(2) that all material downloaded from this site and subsequently reproduced identifies the authors of such material and displays their copyright, and
(3) that the Kuyper Foundation is identified as the source of this material and its full postal address (Post Office Box 2, Taunton, Somerset, England, TA1 4ZD) and web site address (www.kuyper.org) are included.

If you have any concerns please don't hesitate to contact us.
Barry
My Recordings
“I became insane. With long intervals of horrible sanity.” - Edgar Allan Poe
littlecricket

Post by littlecricket »

The 1997 version is a paraphrase by J. Schaap.
This link http://www.kuyper.org/main/publish/books_essays/article_25.shtml contains only about a third of the book.
If I understand the quotation correctly, Abraham Kuyper's "To Be Near Unto God" could be recorded on Librivox from the website (if it were the complete book) as long as Kuyper Foundation, PO Box, etc, website address were included.
Or could it be recorded from book(s) without including all that information? Just title and author as other books are recorded for librivox?
Thank you so very much.
Marian Martin

Post by Marian Martin »

I've found this version on archive.org - American Libraries.

http://www.archive.org/details/tobenearuntogod00kuyp

Regarding copyright it says: Possible copyright status: NOT_IN_COPYRIGHT. I suppose "possible" indicating that some further inquiry is in order.

It does look like an interesting book.
KiltedDragon
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by KiltedDragon »

Great job, Marian. This is a book scan and on the very first page is a copyright date of 1918...PUBLIC DOMAIN! This can be used as the source text for a recording on LV.
Barry
My Recordings
“I became insane. With long intervals of horrible sanity.” - Edgar Allan Poe