This Way to Christmas by Ruth Sawyer(died 1970)

Suggest and discuss books to read (all languages welcome!)
chance.d.ervin

Post by chance.d.ervin » January 18th, 2010, 7:02 pm

This Way to Christmas
by Ruth Sawyer

Stranded in upstate New York with just seven days to go until Christmas, a lonesome boy comes up with an ingenious way to bring Christmas to the equally lonesome inhabitants of his small mountain community, all of whom were spending the winter far from home. Visiting each in turn, David befriends his neighbors and delights in hearing the Christmas stories they share with him, stories they heard in their homelands long ago. A final celebration brings all the neighbors of different nationalities together, forging relationships that will outlast the holiday season and sending a message of hope to a war-torn world.

I saw this on the Google books project but not on project gutenberg. It was published in 1916, so I believe it is PD in the US. First caught this because of the recent post by neerajanagarajan.

This seems like it would be a fun one to do.

TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG » January 18th, 2010, 7:30 pm

Sounds nice!

Here is an archive.org link, since I see that the Google book only has a limited preview for me here in Canada. :evil:

http://www.archive.org/details/thiswaytochristm00sawy

10 chapters, not sure how long they are.
Fiction, open sections mostly adventure in Australia: It Is Never too Late to Mend
Irish Home Rule Arguments: Handbook on Home Rule
Sci-Fi removing memories: Dr. Heidenhoff's Process

kayray
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by kayray » January 19th, 2010, 12:19 pm

Kara
http://kayray.org/
--------
"Mary wished to say something very sensible into her Zoom H2 Handy Recorder, but knew not how." -- Jane Austen (& Kara)

ColleenMc

Post by ColleenMc » September 13th, 2018, 4:19 am

Nothing to add to this suggestion except a desire to bring it back to the top of attention here. It sounds like a fun little book and maybe something nice to do 1) for the upcoming holiday season and 2) as a nod to the wrapping up of WWI centenary observations, since it is specifically about celebrating Christmas during the world war.

Also, the author is a Newberry winner, though not for this book.

Colleen

anneflebari

Post by anneflebari » September 16th, 2018, 1:20 am

Sadly not PD in Australia as Ruth Sawyer died in 1970 (: