New visitor saying hello

Get to know your fellow readers and tell us a little about yourself
zippercdomics

Post by zippercdomics »

Hi!

Well, if the typo in my login name doesn't say it all (after all, "cdomics" isn't a word yet) ....

My name's Ry Stevenson, I'm a wannabe everything. I found this site after listening to the Podiobooker podcast from Podiobooks dot com. I'm interested, if not initially, because I used to be a radio disc jockey, and also because I'm a musician, and this seems like a great way to get the best of those two worlds.

I'll likely be spending the next few weeks / months perusing the site and getting used to the "way of things". Once that happens, if my allergies give me the bass back in my voice, I'd love to start volunteering. I'm Canadian, but I don't have the fabled Canadian accent that apparently a lot of Americans think we have (at least all the ones I've talked to).

Anyway, blah blah blah. Point is, I can tell I'm going to enjoy myself here, and I look forward to years of good times. Thanks!

Ry Stevenson (who now, out of habit, will be rechecking his user names before he submits them ... zippercdomics ... like I'm going to remember that ... lol)
kri

Post by kri »

zippercdomics wrote:Ry Stevenson (who now, out of habit, will be rechecking his user names before he submits them ... zippercdomics ... like I'm going to remember that ... lol)
Hah, that's funny Ry. Welcome to LibriVox :) I really think you'll enjoy it here. We love new readers, and it'll be great once you can start recording. You can still help us in the meantime though. We have a proof-listening process that most projects go through before they're submitted to the world. You can help with that, and it really isn't much of a process. You go to the Proof Listening section of this forum, find an open thread, and listen to one of the chapters that need listening. It's just a matter of checking for missed edits, and other technical problems.

Have fun!
Odd_Bloke

Post by Odd_Bloke »

Welcome to Librivox, Zipper Charles Domics!
"I am, after all," said Pooh, "a bear of very little brain." -- A.A. Milne

"Fry, look, I'm steering with my ass!"
"That's the best thing I ever saw!"
Stephan

Post by Stephan »

Hi funny guy. :D You?re a prefect match (sorry for the typo or anything) to claim one of those just orphaned chapters over in my cheesy funny sci-fi classic Princess of Mars. http://librivox.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=539
Don't read forum for a month, jump right in. Nothing can go wrong...uhm yeah...really nothing.
[url=http://librivox.org/wiki/moin.cgi/PromotionalMaterial][color=indigo]Want to promote LV? Print the poster and pin it at your library[/color][/url] | [url=http://librivox.org/wiki/moin.cgi/Stephan_Moebius][color=indigo]My wiki page[/color][/url]
zippercdomics

Post by zippercdomics »

kri wrote:
zippercdomics wrote:Ry Stevenson (who now, out of habit, will be rechecking his user names before he submits them ... zippercdomics ... like I'm going to remember that ... lol)
Hah, that's funny Ry. Welcome to LibriVox :) I really think you'll enjoy it here. We love new readers, and it'll be great once you can start recording. You can still help us in the meantime though. We have a proof-listening process that most projects go through before they're submitted to the world. You can help with that, and it really isn't much of a process. You go to the Proof Listening section of this forum, find an open thread, and listen to one of the chapters that need listening. It's just a matter of checking for missed edits, and other technical problems.

Have fun!
Will do! I've just been itching (literally, due to allergies, and figuratively, due to an exceess of creative energy) to get into a creative endeavor like this. I'll definately help out in any way I can.

I'll hop over to the Proof Listening section to start, and give it a go!

Thanks!
zippercdomics

Post by zippercdomics »

Stephan wrote:Hi funny guy. :D You?re a prefect match (sorry for the typo or anything) to claim one of those just orphaned chapters over in my cheesy funny sci-fi classic Princess of Mars. http://librivox.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=539
Don't read forum for a month, jump right in. Nothing can go wrong...uhm yeah...really nothing.
I'd be more than happy to check it out, although so far, I'm sans-recording ability. I have this nice, expensive mic, a nice, expensive computer, and a nice (ie: crappy), cheap mixing board. And, to top it all off, I very intelligently bought my computer from a place that - upon closer inspection, following months of consumer-to-retailer battles - doubles as an alcohol delivery service. Naturally, these components get along like the main event at a WWF Wrestlemania. And are just about as usefully as said event, too.

Doesn't mean I can't check it out, though. Thanks for the direction!

The warm reception here is fantastic! I love a community that feels like a, well, community!
Starlite

Post by Starlite »

Hi Zipper, A fellow Canadian here. My voice is crap for reading but i like to do proof listening. The many voices here are music to my ears. I wonder what does a non-accented Canadian sound like????? I'm just north east of you. Happy listening!!!
"Reasonable people adapt themselves to the world. Unreasonable
people attempt to adapt the world to themselves. All progress,
therefore, depends on unreasonable people." George Bernard Shaw
zippercdomics

Post by zippercdomics »

Starlite wrote:Hi Zipper, A fellow Canadian here. My voice is crap for reading but i like to do proof listening. The many voices here are music to my ears. I wonder what does a non-accented Canadian sound like????? I'm just north east of you. Happy listening!!!
I don't know, to be honest with you. :)

I got a call from a few Americans during my music / recording years, and they'd always say that I didn't sound like they'd expected a Canadian to sound like. I think a lot of people think that Canadians, by and large, sound like Newfoundlanders / East Coasters. :)
Proofreading your user name is not required, despite popular contention and modern social trends. Be a rebel, and don't proofread your user name before you register with a website! Take it from me, zippercdomics!
kri

Post by kri »

zippercdomics wrote:
Starlite wrote:Hi Zipper, A fellow Canadian here. My voice is crap for reading but i like to do proof listening. The many voices here are music to my ears. I wonder what does a non-accented Canadian sound like????? I'm just north east of you. Happy listening!!!
I don't know, to be honest with you. :)

I got a call from a few Americans during my music / recording years, and they'd always say that I didn't sound like they'd expected a Canadian to sound like. I think a lot of people think that Canadians, by and large, sound like Newfoundlanders / East Coasters. :)
I bet I could detect a bit of a Canadian accent in you. I can tell teh slight accent in Hugh, and some of our other Canadian volunteers.
tina

Post by tina »

I was born in Tennessee and grew up in various parts of the US, where people speak with different accents. And now I'm living in England. The result is that I can't hear accents at all. It all sounds like English to me! I only pick up on it when I hear words pronounced markedly different (bay-sil vs. baa-sil, for example) or if the speaker doesn't have English as their first language.

All that is to say that I can't imagine noticing a Canadian accent or lack thereof! :lol:

-tina
ceastman

Post by ceastman »

Welcome Ry! Can't wait to hear the fabled accent. :)

-Catharine[/url]