[COMPLETE] Gitanjali by Rabindranath Tagore - arb

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Hilara

Post by Hilara »

Gitanjali by Rabindranath Tagore (7 May 1861 – 7 August 1941). [Translated by original author].

This project is now complete! All audio files can be found on our catalog page:http://librivox.org/gitanjali-by-rabindranath-tagore/
Gitanjali is a collection of 103 poems in English , largely translations by the Bengali poet Rabindranath Tagore. This volume became very famous in the West, and was widely translated into other languages. In England a slender volume was published in 1913, with an exhilarating preface by W. B. Yeats. In the same year , Rabindranath became the first non-European to win the Nobel prize. (summary by Hilara)

"On many an idle day have I grieved over lost time. But it is never lost, my lord. Thou hast taken every moment of my life in thine own hands.

Hidden in the heart of things thou art nourishing seeds into sprouts, buds into blossoms, and ripening flowers into fruitfulness.

I was tired and sleeping on my idle bed and imagined all work had ceased. In the morning I woke up and found my garden full with wonders of flowers."
81, Gitanjali
  1. How to claim a part, and 'how it all works' here
    To find a section to record, simply look at point 5. below at the sections. All the ones without names beside them are “up for grabs.” Click "Post reply" at the top left of the screen and tell us which section you’d like to read (include the section number from the left-most column in the reader list, please). Read points 6. to 8. below for what to do before, during and after your recording.
  2. New to recording?
    Please read our Newbie Guide to Recording!
  3. Is there a deadline?
    Target completion date of this project: the 28th of February, 2010 – but try to send your recordings as soon as you can. Please note that if we haven't heard from you for two months, your section(s) will automatically be re-opened for other readers. If you cannot do your section, for whatever reason, just let me know and it’ll go back to the pool. There’s no shame in this; we’re all volunteers and things happen.
  4. Where do I find the text?
    Source text (please only read from this text!): http://en.wikisource.org/wiki/Gitanjali
    Pronunciation guide:
    Gitanjali = gee-THAHN-jalee
    Rabindranath = ra-BIN-dhra-naath
    Tagore = ta-GORE
    babla = BUB-la (from Verse 54)
    maya = MAA-yaa (Verse 71 and 72)
    Vina = VEE-naa (Verse 88)
  5. Please claim sections (the numbers in the first column below)!
    If this is your first recording, please let me know under which name or pseudonym you'd like to appear in the LibriVox catalogue. We can also link to a personal website/blog.

Prospective Prooflisteners: Please read the Listeners Wanted FAQ before listening! Level of prooflistening requested: Standard PL

MAGIC WINDOW:

(BC admin)
    ======================================================
    This paragraph is temporary and will be replaced by the MC with the list of sections and readers (Magic Window) once this project is in the admin system.

BC - please provide *all of* the following:
    [list]
    [*]Number of sections (files) this project will have: 11
    [*]Does the project have an introduction or preface [y/n]: y
    [*]Link to author on Wikipedia (if available): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rabindranath_Tagore
    [*]Link to title on Wikipedia (if available): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gitanjali
    [*]Short description (please state who wrote the description. This can be a paragraph copied from Wikipedia. If you write this yourself, please be aware that your summary will be in the PD): Summary from Wikipedia
    [*]Date of first publication: 1913
    [*]Year of author's death (note: in some countries copyright is death of author plus 50 or 70 years): 1941
=======================================================[/size]

[*]BEFORE recording:
Please check the Recording Notes:
http://librivox.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6427#6430

Set your recording software to:

Channels: 1 (Mono)
Bit Rate: 128 kbps
Sample Rate: 44.1 kHz

[*]DURING recording:
Please leave no more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of your recording!

Make sure you add this to the beginning and end of your recording:
Start of recording (Intro)
  • "Chapter [number] of Gitanjali. - This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
  • If you wish, say:
    "Recording by [your name]"
  • Say:
    "Gitanjali, by Rabindranath Tagore. [Translated by the original author]. [Chapter]"
End of recording
  • At the end of the section, say:
    End of [Chapter]"
  • If you wish, say:
    "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
  • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
    "End of Gitanjali, by Rabindranath Tagore. [Translated by the original author]. "
Please leave 5 seconds silence at the end of your recording, or 10 seconds for files longer than 30 minutes!

Also, please remember to check this thread frequently for updates!

[*]AFTER recording:
Need noise-cleaning?
Listen to your file through headphones. If you can hear some constant background noise (hiss/buzz), you may want to clean it up a bit. The new (free) version 1.3.3. of Audacity (Mac/Win) has much improved noise-cleaning. See this LibriVox wiki page for a complete guide.

Save files as
128 kbps MP3
gitanjali_##_tagore.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is your section number. (e.g. gitanjali_01_tagore.mp3)

ID3 V2 tags
(To find out more about ID3 tags, go to our wiki: http://librivox.org/wiki/moin.cgi/WhatIsID3)
Add the following tags to your .mp3 file (how you do this depends on which software you use – if you are unsure about ID3 tags, send me a message). Please mind upper and lower case!

Title: ## - [Section title]
Artist: Rabindranath Tagore
Album: Gitanjali

Please ignore tags for Genre and Track Number - these will be filled in automatically at the cataloguing stage.

Transfer of files (completed recordings)
Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file.
Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
  • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader (when your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread):
    http://upload.librivox.org
    (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
    You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: arb - annise
  • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.
[/list]

Any questions?
Please post below or PM me. :)
Last edited by Hilara on November 17th, 2009, 8:00 am, edited 4 times in total.
-Hitha.
Hilara

Post by Hilara »

Yay! The first ever project I'll be BCing....

Just a few clarifications (in other words: Help?!) :
  • I've used the Wikisource file, because it would make it a lot easier for all of us to segregate the sections. The Gutenberg file just seems to run on, and on- with no way to separate one poem from another. Is this OK?
  • About that "notify" line; whose name do I put in? Mine- or does the MC do that?
  • Also, this happens to be a prose translation of poetry... So, I just took a guess in naming the subject "Poetry". Was I wrong?

So, there you go... Readers of any nationality invited. I don't anticipate any pronunciation problems, so no worries! :wink:

ETA: There's a pronunciation guide added in, just in case!
Last edited by Hilara on November 16th, 2009, 7:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
-Hitha.
neerajanagarajan

Post by neerajanagarajan »

Hey Hilara,

CONGRATS ON YOUR FIRST PROJECT! :9:

Don't think there's a problem with Wikisource. But if you want to provide separate Google Docs for each section, I think that would be more helpful. You can use the Wikisource separation and make Google Docs for each section.
You don't do anything on the notify line. The MC will take care of it.
I think Poetry is OK. :D
Hilara

Post by Hilara »

Thank you kindly, Ms Nagarajan!!! :D
I'm gonna need help on the Google Doc thingy, though... You know me. :|
-Hitha.
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

Hi
Great idea . One MC signing on - all looks good .
The wiki source looks great to read from , google docs are always popular but not essential - I am assuming you plan to have "section 1 - poems 1-9" type sections?.
We can link to the gutenberg one in the catalogue but use this to read from - I'll get you a window

Anne
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

All set up .
I will PM you your password for the MW as I see you haven't used one before.
I've changed your target date - some readers seem to believe that target date = when they have to finish the reading , and with small sections like this there is no need to wait so long (I hope :D)
I set up a sample title as it is easier to see than explain - but the number of poems etc is up to you - maybe Verses would be a better description ?

Readers would probably like a rough guide to the Author and title - how many syllables in Tagore (2 or 3?) and is the stress which one etc.

Any questions that come up ask - the only dumb question is the one you don't ask :D
And have fun

Anne
Hilara

Post by Hilara »

@Anne:
Thank you very much, Anne! BCing my first project is a bit like my first Veena recital in front of a humongous audience, you know... I'm nervous and wonderfully excited! Image
The changes you've made are perfectly fine. Thanks! And you'll find that I took your suggestion to name the sections verses. Also, there's a tiny box of a pronunciation guide on the first post now.

@Neeru:
God bless you, honey pie!!! I have no clue where I'd be without you... And I know I should be sorry for bombarding you with those million-odd questions, but I'm really not! Image
-Hitha.
neerajanagarajan

Post by neerajanagarajan »

I'll take the first two sections 8-)
Hilara

Post by Hilara »

:mrgreen: DONE! The first 2 sections assigned to you as promised! :9: And thanks, yet again!
-Hitha.
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

All looks great - I'll put myself in as DPL - I'd like to listen to them. The guide is great too :D. We'll hang around just a little then move off to short works

Anne
Hilara

Post by Hilara »

:9: I'm doing the 2nd and 3rd sections.
-Hitha.
aravis

Post by aravis »

Hi Hilara!

I'd love to read section 5! :D

Elli
Elli

"Tiefer und tiefer zogen die Buchstaben ihn hinab, wie ein Strudel aus Tinte...dorthin wo auch Staubfinger verschwunden war. An den Ort, an dem alle Geschichten enden." (Cornelia Funke)
Hilara

Post by Hilara »

:D Super! Thanks, Elli!
-Hitha.
runjhun

Post by runjhun »

Hi Hilara

please let me know if I can record this verse if possible
I am a little familiar with the works of rabindra nath tagore.

Runjhun Kejriwal

06 06 - Verses 41 to 50 1562 words
Hilara

Post by Hilara »

runjhun wrote:Hi Hilara

please let me know if I can record this verse if possible
I am a little familiar with the works of rabindra nath tagore.

Runjhun Kejriwal

06 06 - Verses 41 to 50 1562 words
Thanks, Runjhun! I'd be delighted to sign you up for Section 6.

Could you please let me know under which name or pseudonym you'd like to appear in the LibriVox catalogue? We can also link to a personal web site/blog.

Also, if this is your first recording, you may want to send a sample recording of a minute or so, to make sure the sound quality etc is all right - often things can be improved at the outset that are difficult to fix later.

This site should help you understand everything there is to getting started:
http://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/Newbie_Guide_to_Recording
If you have any questions at all, you have only to ask! :D
-Hitha.