[COMPLETE] Bury's Students' Roman Empire pt 2 - km

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
kmerline

Post by kmerline »

The Students' Roman Empire part 2, A History of the Roman Empire from Its Foundation to the Death of Marcus Aurelius (27 B.C.-180 A.D.) by John Bagnell Bury (1861-1927).

This project is now complete! All audio files can be found on our catalog page: http://librivox.org/students-roman-empire-part-2-by-j-b-bury/
The writings of J. B. Bury (1861-1927), on subjects ranging from ancient Greece to the 19th-century papacy, are at once scholarly and accessible to the layman. This work covers the period from the beginning of the Roman Empire until Gibbon begins; from Augustus through Marcus Aurelius and the Antoinine Emporers. (Summary by kmerline)

J.B. Bury
  1. How to claim a part:
    To find a section to record, look at the sections in the box below. All those without names beside them are available. Click "Post reply" at the top left of the screen and tell us which section you’d like to read (include the section number from the left-most column in the reader list, please). Read points 6 to 8 below for what to do before, during and after your recording.
  2. New to recording?
    Please read our Newbie Guide to Recording!
  3. Is there a deadline?
    Target completion date of this project: Date April 1, 2010, but try to send your recordings as soon as you can. I will note the date you volunteer for a chapter, and if you haven't recorded or posted about the progress of your chapter(s) for a month at any time, I may put them back to the pool. This doesn't mean you have to record within a month of making a claim, just be sure to keep in touch to let me know how things are going. As reading progresses, after due warning, we may reassign your sections if your claim languishes! If you cannot do your section, for whatever reason, just let me know and it’ll go back to the pool. There’s no shame in this; we’re all volunteers and things happen.
  4. Where do I find the text?
    Source text (please only read from this text!): http://www.archive.org/details/studentsromanemp00buryuoft
  5. Please claim sections (the numbers in the first column below)!
    If this is your first recording, please let me know under which name or pseudonym you'd like to appear in the LibriVox catalogue. We can also link to a personal website/blog.

Prospective Prooflisteners: Please read the Listeners Wanted FAQ before listening! Level of prooflistening requested: Standard

SPECIAL INSTRUCTIONS: The above link to the text of this book takes you to the Internet Archives catalog page, which offers a variety of formats to use for reading the text. The "entire text" button leads to an unedited OCR scan with many errors and omissions. I recommend using one of the image formats. The .pdf file is downloadable using the Adobe Acrobat software available available as a free download. The other formats allow you to read on line. Navigation is pretty intuitive, and you can zoom in and out to suit. Either way, use the "image page numbers" I've provided to find the beginning/end of your section. These are the page numbers on the image itself, not on the software menu bar; they will be correct whichever image format you choose.

Readers who would like help pronouncing Roman names may consult the following references:
    http://dictionary.reference.com/
    http://bartleby.com/65/
    Or, consult the new :D LibriVox Wiki page for pronounciation resources at:
    http://librivox.org/wiki/moin.cgi/HowToReadGuides_%28pronunciation%2C_reading_footnotes%29

Please do not read the summary of topics at the beginning of each chapter. Please do not read the paragraph numbers. Also please omit the footnotes and the extensive chapter end notes for some chapters. The image page numbers for the reading sections reflect omission of the end notes. See intro and outro directions below.

One Final Detail: Please pronounce "Bury" as "BYOO ree", to rhyme with "fury".

Any questions or problems, please post in the thread or pm me.

MAGIC WINDOW:

(BC admin)
  6. BEFORE recording:
    Please check the Recording Notes:
    http://librivox.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6427#6430

Set your recording software to:

Channels: 1 (Mono)
    Bit Rate: 128 kbps
    Sample Rate: 44.1 kHz
  7. DURING recording:
    Make sure you add this to the beginning and end of your recording:
    Start of recording (Intro)
    • "Chapter [##] Sect. [# to #] of J. B. Bury's "The Students' Roman Empire" part 2. - This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name]"
    • Say:
      "The Students' Roman Empire part 2, by John Bagnell Bury. Chapter [##], [Chapter Title] Sect [# to #]"
    End of recording
    • At the end of the section, say:
      End of Chapter [##] Sect. [#]
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
      "End of J. B. Bury's "The Students' Roman Empire, part 2"".
    Please leave 5 seconds silence at the end of your recording, or 10 seconds for files longer than 30 minutes!

Also, please remember to check this thread frequently for updates!
  8. AFTER recording:
    Need noise-cleaning?
    Listen to your file through headphones. If you can hear some constant background noise (hiss/buzz), you may want to clean it up a bit. The new (free) version 1.3.3. of Audacity (Mac/Win) has much improved noise-cleaning. See this LibriVox wiki page for a complete guide.

Save files as
    Channels: 1 (Mono)
    Bit Rate: 128 kbps
    Sample Rate: 44.1 kHz
    studentsromanempire2_##_bury.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is your section number. (e.g. studentsromanempire2_01_bury.mp3)

ID3 V2 tags
    (To find out more about ID3 tags, go to our wiki: http://librivox.org/wiki/moin.cgi/WhatIsID3)
    Add the following tags to your .mp3 file (how you do this depends on which software you use – if you are unsure about ID3 tags, send me a message). Please mind upper and lower case!

Title: ## - [Ch ##, Sect #-#] (first ## is your reading section number)
    Artist: John Bagnell Bury
    Album: Students' Roman Empire pt 2

Please ignore tags for Genre and Track Number - these will be filled in automatically at the cataloguing stage.

Transfer of files (completed recordings)
    Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file.
    Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
    • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader (when your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread):
      http://upload.librivox.org
      (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
      You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: km - kmerline
    • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.
Any questions?
Please post below or PM me. :)
Last edited by kmerline on September 2nd, 2009, 9:47 am, edited 2 times in total.
kmerline

Post by kmerline »

OK! Open for claims!
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Sign me up for 31-34. :)
School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
kmerline

Post by kmerline »

Leni will do Sec 16 - 19 : It's her field of study.
lukkystarr

Post by lukkystarr »

I'd like to do the first three sections.
kmerline

Post by kmerline »

Welcome, lukky! The sections are yours!
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

kmerline

Post by kmerline »

thank you, Tricia - fine work!
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

kmerline

Post by kmerline »

Thank you again! Sec 32 is just fine. :)
Last edited by kmerline on September 22nd, 2009, 3:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

section 33 (13:21)

http://upload.librivox.org/share/uploads/km/studentsromanempire2_33_bury.mp3

I noticed on the last one (sect 32) I SAID section 32 but I linked to section 31. I didn't check the MW.
kmerline

Post by kmerline »

Thank you, Tricia. :)
Kikisaulite
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kikisaulite »

Could I have sections 27 - 30, please ?
Keep your mind here and now, where it belongs.
nebgreen

Post by nebgreen »

I would like to start out with two sections (I'll see about claiming more later), namely, Sections 07-08. Vespasion, Titus, and Domition, oh my!!!!! :lol:
m@rk p&nfold :mrgreen:

"I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess."---Possum Lodge Man Prayer, "The Red Green Show"

Check out my Bible podcast!: http://newheartbible.mypodcast.com/index.html
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »