COMPLETE: Ayala's Angel by Anthony Trollope - mla

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
tabithat

Post by tabithat »

Stav has kindly offered to pl this for me...

Ayala's Angel by Anthony Trollope 1815-1882 .

This project is complete! All audio files can be found on our catalog page:
http://librivox.org/ayalas-angel-by-anthony-trollope/

Lucy and Ayala Dormer are left penniless by the death of their parents. Ayala is taken in by their rich aunt Lady Tringle and Lucy by their poor uncle Mr Dosett. The girls find it hard to get used to their new surroundings. Lucy becomes engaged to one of her father's artist friends but they are too poor to marry. Three different men fall in love with Ayala but none live up to her ideal of the perfect man. Will Lucy be able to marry her sweetheart and will Ayala find her 'Angel of Light'? For the answers to these and many other questions, read this book. (Summary by Stav Nisser)
  • Target completion date: 15th September 2009
  • Text source (only read from this text!): http://ebooks.adelaide.edu.au/t/trollope/anthony/ayala/
  • Type of proof-listening required: Standard

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the amount of languishing projects (and hence the amount of files on our hard-pressed server), we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't managed to record anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project will be opened up to a group project as soon as a Book Coordinator can be found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to have it re-instated).

===========================================
    MAGIC WINDOW:

(BC admin)

Soloist - please provide *all of* the following:
    • Link to author on Wikipedia (if available): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anthony_Trollope
    • Link to title on Wikipedia (if available): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ayala%27s_Angel
    • Number of sections (files) this project will have:64
    • Does the project have an introduction or preface [y/n]:n
    • Original publication date (if known):1880
    • Year of author's death (note: in some countries copyright is author's death + 50 or 70 years):1882
    • If you are a new volunteer, how would you like your name (or pseudonym) credited in the catalog? Do you have a URL you would like associated with your name?:
    ============================================
  • The reader will record the following at the beginning and end of each file:
    No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!

Start of recording (Intro)
    • "Chapter nn of Ayala's Angel. - This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by Tabithat"
    • Say:
      "Ayala's Angel, by Anthony Trollope. Chapter nn"
    For the second and all subsequent sections, you may optionally use the shortened form of this intro disclaimer:
    • "Chapter nn of Ayala's Angel. This LibriVox recording is in the Public Domain.
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name]"
    • Say:
      "Ayala's Angel, by Anthony Trollope. Chapter nn [Chapter Name]"
    End of recording
    • At the end of the section, say:
      End of Chapter nn"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
      "End of Ayala's Angel, by Anthony Trollope."
    There should be 5 seconds silence at the end of the recording, or 10 seconds for files longer than 30 minutes.
  • Example filename
    ayalasangel_02_trollope.mp3
  • Example ID3 V2 tags
    Title: ## - Chapter nn [Chapter name]
    Artist: Anthony Trollope
    Album: Ayala's Angel
  • Instructions for soloist: transfer of files (completed recordings)
    Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file.
    Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
    • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader (when your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread):
      http://upload.librivox.org
      (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
      You'll need to select an MC, which for this project is: mla - AmethystA
    • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.
Last edited by tabithat on September 2nd, 2009, 6:06 am, edited 3 times in total.
miss stav

Post by miss stav »

Hi Tabithat,
here I am to pl for you again.
(Very happy).
I am so glad that you are going to record this wonderful book.
Stav,
Love gothic novels? Try Children Of The Abbey. Like surprising mysteries? Try The Amathist Cross. Looking for an easy read? Try Harriet's Choice.
AmethystA

Post by AmethystA »

I am happy to MC for you again for this project. Give me a bit to get you set up, then I'll go ahead and pop you over to the Going Solo forum. :D

Mary
Bloom where you’re planted!
EHB

Post by EHB »

I'm delighted to see this wonderful project going ahead. Ayala's Angel has always been one of my very favourite Trollope novels... it's the kind of book that keeps coming down off the shelf for re-reading. And I know other people who feel the same way about it. Thank you so much for doing it!
E. H. Blackmore
tabithat

Post by tabithat »

We have Stav to thank for the book selection - she suggested it. I was a little doubtful because I had never heard of it, and lesser known works of well-known authors are sometimes lesser known for a good reason. I am glad to know that is not the case here.

I must go get stuck into it.

T.
tabithat

Post by tabithat »

And we're racing...

http://upload.librivox.org/share/uploads/mla/AyalasAngel_01_trollope.mp3
Length: 19:13

And thank you for MCing this for me again, Mary.
miss stav

Post by miss stav »

Chapter 1 is perfect. I hope you enjoy this book.
Love gothic novels? Try Children Of The Abbey. Like surprising mysteries? Try The Amathist Cross. Looking for an easy read? Try Harriet's Choice.
AmethystA

Post by AmethystA »

Enjoy your new project tabithat!

Oh, I just noticed your file name, if you could use all small letters, it would be appreciated. I can re-name the first file, no problem.

So: ayalasangel_02_trollope.mp3 will be the new file naming scheme.

I've renamed the file on the uploader and changed the Magic Window listen link to point to the renamed file.

You're off to a great start. :D

Mary
Bloom where you’re planted!
tabithat

Post by tabithat »

No capitals. Gottit.

It begins badly...

http://upload.librivox.org/share/uploads/mla/ayalasangel_02_trollope.mp3
Length 18:50

Stav, I know English isn't your first language, but if you should hear anything you think might be a mispronunciation will you let me know? I'll check it out and if it really is wrong, I'll change it.
miss stav

Post by miss stav »

Chapter 2 is splended. Sure, I will let you know about words that I do not understand. I will coppy them from the text, in order that you won't have to cope with my creative spelling in english. "It begins badly"? What do you mean by this sentence? If you mean that you don't like the book, I would advice you- for your best- not to record a book that you don't like. If you mean that you are sorry for the mistake, than I am sure it is fixable.
Stav.
tabithat

Post by tabithat »

No, no, Stav. I like the book. All I meant was that Lucy is not happy with the Dosetts. She doesn't understand her aunt, she hates sewing sheets and she misses her life in the bijou residence. Life does not look good for her.

Use your creative spelling. I can understand your creative spelling. Everyone under thirty uses creative spelling. I don't because I am old enough that the proper spelling comes off my fingertips without thinking.

It can be very irritating if someone keeps saying something with the wrong pronunciation. Someone was having a rant in one of the other fora about that. I look up how to say words that I don't know, but there are words that I don't know I don't know.

Once I had to read a couple of chapters from the Torah for somebody. It was in English but as you know it is full of names that are pronounced differently in Hebrew to what they are in English or have no English equivalent at all. Luckily I found a place on the internet where someone was chanting the Torah and for each verse it had not only the Hebrew but an English transliteration (in Hebrew but written with English letters) and a translation into English so I could get the proper way to say the names. Other cases have been harder. Names from Thailand, anyone?
miss stav

Post by miss stav »

Though Mrs. Doset really does her best... Well, to know that your sister has been chosen by a rich aunt to lead a better life because she is more beautiful? How afensive! Now we will have to see if Ayalas life are really better... I wouldn't trust the internet as an only sorse of hebrew pronounsiation. I am working with another reader on a solo which has many hebrew names and I discovered that some of the pronounsiations on the internet are not correct.
tabithat

Post by tabithat »

In which neither of the sisters are happy

http://upload.librivox.org/share/uploads/mla/ayalasangel_03_trollope.mp3
length 18:34

With regard to Hebrew names - I didn't have someone like you to help, so I had to do the best I could. I'm sure my accent was awful. But it was better than guessing.
miss stav

Post by miss stav »

Chapter 3 is wonderful. Yu can mark 2 and 3 complete in the magic window. I do pitty Lucy and Ayala, but somehow I like Lucy much more.
tabithat

Post by tabithat »

Will fix the Magic Window when I've uploaded today's chapter.

I'm glad I don't live in Victorian times. The restrictions on women are not something we would easily take to today.

http://upload.librivox.org/share/uploads/mla/ayalasangel_04_trollope.mp3
Length: 18:12