COMPLETE: Ulysses, by James Joyce (special rules) - AF/hu

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
miette

Post by miette »

An Idea: I've been teasing with the idea of a marathon reading of Ulysses in a live environment for next year, sleepover style, the whole blasted bleary-eyed thing in one sitting. I'm only half joking, I think: I can get us space in NY, as well as a recording setup, and whiskey of course. So out of curiosity: if Miette had a vision for a Bloomsday reading party in NY a year from now, well, would she be the only attendee?
Miette
http://www.miettecast.com
a.r.dobbs

Post by a.r.dobbs »

That's altogether too tempting to resist. To read the whole thing, though, takes nearer to 48 hours, I believe.

If a 48-hour marathon reading-recording of Ulysses were happening next year ... it would be in my sites, because my aim is crazy like that.
Anita
Gesine

Post by Gesine »

hmm yes, i think a trip to nyc is long overdue. i can hardly remember what luigi's pumpkin pie icecream actually tastes like.
"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein
hugh
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by hugh »

i would be supportive of such a project. we would want to try to live stream it as well, for those at home who would like listen.
Gesine

Post by Gesine »

Update. 15a-f are now complete and checked and NC'd and what have you, and safely in the Validator.

Kara, 15e is read by Kirsten Ferreri and Max someone-or-other (have to ask Caet). I tried to edit in the val but had my permissions denied. :(

Anita is uploading 15g for proof-listening - that's the last section.
"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein
Cloud Mountain

Post by Cloud Mountain »

a.r.dobbs wrote:That's altogether too tempting to resist. To read the whole thing, though, takes nearer to 48 hours, I believe.

If a 48-hour marathon reading-recording of Ulysses were happening next year ... it would be in my sites, because my aim is crazy like that.

To do it in 48 hours we'd need to tag team every part so that someone could be there to cover her/his partner every time he/she laughed, choked, took a bite to eat, drank water, took a nap, ran to the WC, ordered pizza, walked-the-dog, etc., etc.
[url=http://librivox.org/newcatalog/people_public.php?peopleid=254]Alan's LV catalog[/url]
Cloud Mountain

Post by Cloud Mountain »

miette wrote:An Idea: I've been teasing with the idea of a marathon reading of Ulysses in a live environment for next year, sleepover style, the whole blasted bleary-eyed thing in one sitting. I'm only half joking, I think: I can get us space in NY, as well as a recording setup, and whiskey of course. So out of curiosity: if Miette had a vision for a Bloomsday reading party in NY a year from now, well, would she be the only attendee?
Sign me up NOW!
[url=http://librivox.org/newcatalog/people_public.php?peopleid=254]Alan's LV catalog[/url]
miette

Post by miette »

Well, I've an eye for co-ordination of events of this scale, so will begin planning of it on 17th June this year with more.

Meanwhile the breath's well-bated for the public unveiling of this year's contribution. Which is just to say, it's going to be a shame to scrub the teeth after.

-- Mtte.
Miette
http://www.miettecast.com
a.r.dobbs

Post by a.r.dobbs »

Gesine wrote:
Anita is uploading 15g for proof-listening - that's the last section.
That was Anita's plan, but Audacity un-cooperated. Anita went out to dinner. Anita returned. And now Anita is re-editing the missing List of Names (preceding Hue and Cry) (which is just another one of those suddenly poofed files I used to have), recording and adding the credits, and THEN convincing Audacity to make an mp3 this year.
Anita
a.r.dobbs

Post by a.r.dobbs »

Update...

Audacity is taking the next 50 minutes to create a 55-minute mp3 ... or maybe it's only pretending (like the last time) ... then the torturously slow upload to the server... and prooflistening ...

The credits for editing and reading for parts f and g are at the end of g.

The full list of credits, consolidated, for 15_f_ and _g_ are now updated in the earlier credits post I made:
http://librivox.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=133309#133309
Anita
hugh
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by hugh »

screw the edits, clean ups extras etc. we need to get this puppy out tomorrow.
Cloud Mountain

Post by Cloud Mountain »

hugh wrote:screw the edits...
:?:
a.r.dobbs

Post by a.r.dobbs »

hugh wrote:screw the edits, clean ups extras etc. we need to get this puppy out tomorrow.
your point?

I'm fixing tags and uploading for prooflisten.
upload will likely take 47 hours
Anita
hugh
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by hugh »

erm point was: we need to get this puppy out tomorrow... but if it's 48 hrs to get it cataloged that means we'll miss bloomsday.
Gesine

Post by Gesine »

All Ulysses files are now in the Validator. I'm unable to edit tags etc for the last files - getting this strange permission error:
Permission denied - ./books/ulysses_joyce/readers
./readers.rb:33:in `initialize'
./readers.rb:33:in `open'
./readers.rb:33:in `commit'
./metadata.rb:140:in `[]='
/home/librivox/librivox.org/sandpit/validate/doedit.rb:62
/home/librivox/librivox.org/sandpit/validate/doedit.rb:57:in `each'
/home/librivox/librivox.org/sandpit/validate/doedit.rb:57
Never seen that before. I was able to set track numbers and genre ID with the global thing, though.

Kara, are you still around and do you want to catalogue? I'll PM you now as well. If you don't respond within an hour or so, I guess I'll try to catalogue myself so we get this done. :)