J.S. Mill Utilitarianism Error

Report & help check download problems, corrupted files, badly-named files, bad links etc. (NOT for style & reading complaints)
ominiousd

Post by ominiousd »

In J.S. Mill's Utilitarianism, the .ogg Chapter 2 part 1 to part 2 skips several paragraphs, close to a quarter a page of material.

:?
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

could you tell us what's before or after so we can find it? Or a time it occurs?
And which text you are checking it with? There are different editions with slight variations

Anne
ominiousd

Post by ominiousd »

Part II ends with him saying, "From this verdict of the only competent judges, I apprehend their can be no appeal," and then Part III starts up with "Though it is only in a very imperfect state of the world's arrangements that any one can best serve the happiness of others by the absolute sacrifice of his own."

<http://www.utilitarianism.com/mill2.htm>

This skips 9 paragraphs from my count.
russiandoll

Post by russiandoll »

Hi, ominiousd,

Thanks for the extra details and the link to the text - that was indeed the one that the reader used.
I've just downloaded and taken a listen to section 02, and it's all there, ending at 'He may be an inspiriting proof of what men can do, but assuredly not an example of what they should', followed by the end-of-section announcement. Looks like you must just have suffered a truncated download due to some glitch in your connection or at archive.org. - do try again; I can assure you the file is complete!

rd
English is the lingua franca par excellence
ominiousd

Post by ominiousd »

Thanks to all of you.

Yes it was a connection problem. However, I have come across three more minor errors under "Utilitarianism."

Time 16:09 Part 6, "there are as many questions of Justice as there are ..." was skipped.

Time: 14:07 Part 7 the word "exhorted" is skipped.

Lastly, approximately time 17:50 in Part 7 "and making him a sacrifice," him was inserted where it is not there in the text.
russiandoll

Post by russiandoll »

ominiousd, you would make a great proof-listener! Have you considered it? They are the invaluable pairs of ears that listen to each section to check for obvious errors before the project gets catalogued as complete. If you'd like to volunteer in this capacity (even listening to the odd short section here and there is a help - you don't have to make any kind of regular commitment), you will find more information in the LibriVox Wiki and in the top FAQ post of the listeners and editors wanted forum.

Thank you for the very precise notes. Unfortunately we can't and don't guarantee 100% accuracy in our efforts; there is always going to be a risk of human error. As you say, the discrepancies in this case sound minor, and they don't seem hugely to undermine the integrity of the recording or distort the listener's fundamental understanding of the text.

What I'll do is move this thread to the 'error reports' forum, and send a message to the reader to let him know of your comments in case he wishes to make amendments to his recording. It will be at his own discretion, however.

Thanks again - hope you continue to enjoy listening.
rd
English is the lingua franca par excellence