All hands on deck: wiki update & transfer

Non-reading activities need your help too!
Jc

Post by Jc »

I presume pages for the Ulysses projects can be dropped
http://librivox.org/wiki/moin.cgi/ulysses15c
Put yourself in the Readers' Accents Table. See this post.
(Busy real life & traveling, sorry if not here often.)
Jc

Post by Jc »

is this page http://librivox.org/wiki/moin.cgi/AudiobookSamples still being used? (or should it be archived?) And anyone knows what is the Audio Sample Forum Thread to which it refers?
Cori

Post by Cori »

The thread is here, Jc: http://librivox.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=9299 Not sure about the currency.
There's honestly no such thing as a stupid question -- but I'm afraid I can't rule out giving a stupid answer : : To Posterity and Beyond!
Jc

Post by Jc »

Thanks!
I'll add that to the page

Note: this page http://librivox.org/wiki/moin.cgi/DetailedAudacityNoiseRemoval should be merged with the Noise Cleaning one.
Jc

Post by Jc »

Is this page outdated?
http://librivox.org/wiki/moin.cgi/HandsOnHelp
(last edit: 2007)
Jc

Post by Jc »

Quick question: the wiki says:
While typing something into the reader, BC, or MC text boxes, you may notice an autocomplete box appearing below as you type. This is to help you find a particular person's name. This autocomplete will display either the person's forum name, or the name they are credited in the catalog. It isn't necessary to select one of the names that appears, as partial searches will work as well.
Does it actually work? Is this browser-specific? (It never autocompleted for me)
gypsygirl

Post by gypsygirl »

No, this is waaaay old. It was turned off because it was using too much bandwidth, or something like that.
Karen S.
Jc

Post by Jc »

There's this To Do Stack for Torrents that doesn't look like it's being used.
http://librivox.org/wiki/moin.cgi/ToDo

There's also a LibriVox torrent uploader} that apparently existed at some point. Anyone knows what happened to that?
Cori

Post by Cori »

Looks like the torrenting was a project of Stephan's -- but the date on the majority of the page is 29.04.2006 ... so it's probably very out of date now.

Also, I've added an Italian BC template for collabs to both the old and new wikis. Credit goes to Riccardo, who emailed it to me. :D I notice there aren't any other templates transferred yet - is that just because it takes ages to put the proper links in, or just no-one's got a round tuit yet..? The Italian page needs links to the other new BC pages too ... perhaps we could just copy that table from the main page..? Or just link back to the main page from each (one link is easier to maintain!)
There's honestly no such thing as a stupid question -- but I'm afraid I can't rule out giving a stupid answer : : To Posterity and Beyond!
Jc

Post by Jc »

Ok, I'll put the ToDo page in the Archives section.

I didn't transfer the template pages, because I didn't know how long it would take to transfer the Wiki pages, so I left them till the end in case there would be modifications to them in the meantime. (they do get modified once in a while). (And thanks for the heads-up for the Italian page!)

I think a link back to the main page would be easier to maintain, like you said.
Jc

Post by Jc »

There's also this page, and its subpages: http://librivox.org/wiki/moin.cgi/BackgroundResearchDeathInfo that date back to 2008. Anyone remembers what they were for (and whether they're still useful?)
Cori

Post by Cori »

Related to putting author's dates in the catalogue page when projects are completed..? I'm afraid I don't know about the progress on that ... it seems pretty common to see now, but I don't know if all our early pages are done.
Jc

Post by Jc »

all project templates have now been moved.

Should we start modifying the links on the forums?
Cori

Post by Cori »

Yeeees ... I think there was a similar discussion a long time back, when the uploader was first implemented, about automagically changing over links for that. But I guess if we're streamlining the wiki, that wouldn't work. So, makes sense to start changing, if all the new wiki-page-names are decided upon.

What're we going to do with the old wiki..?
Jc

Post by Jc »

Cori wrote: What're we going to do with the old wiki..?
We could chuck it... It's full of spam anyway. (Spam posts get deleted, but a copy remains on the server.)

I'm wondering how we should manage the wiki to avoid spamming, while have it still be a "wiki". (We can't keep it locked down forever.) Installing a captcha would be a good solution, though not foolproof.