All hands on deck: wiki update & transfer

Non-reading activities need your help too!
Jc

Post by Jc »

There has long been some talks of updating the wiki, and using a wiki software that's easier, and more user-friendly. Well, this was made possible thanks to our sysadmin (Dan)!
We now have a brand new wiki software up ( http://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/Main_Page ), and all that's missing is the content!

It would be very nice if people could pitch in and start creating the pages. What we need is to take the pages from the old wiki, review and update them, and reformat them to make them compatible with the new wiki. It's not that complicated, it's mostly just some tags that need to be changed.

Also, a different way of organizing the pages might be helpful to make finding the info easier. I have suggested a new arrangement here: http://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/Tentative_Index_Page Feel free to make comments and suggestions.

For the moment, the new wiki has been locked down to avoid spam, so if you want to help out, please PM me and I will create an account for you. (Please mention the username you want).

Thanks a lot!!

EDIT:

As per Chris's (icyjumbo) suggestion, in order to avoid having 2 people transferring the same page at the same time, please follow these steps:
1. Go to this page: http://librivox.org/wiki/moin.cgi/AllPages (taken from TitleIndex, I removed the user pages) and put a note beside the page you want to work on, with your forum name so that people might know who's working on it in case they need to contact you.
2. Leave a note on the top of the page you are working on, such as "this page is being moved" or "this page has been moved"
3. when done, strike the page name from the list (code: 2 dashes +parentheses around what you want to strike: --(PageTitle)-- )

Things to keep in mind:
- Every page should be accessible from the index page. If you don't know in which category to put it, insert the link at the bottom of the page, so that we know the page is there.
- Do no be afraid to edit a page if you think you can present the info in a simpler way.
- If page A contains a link to a page B that hasn't been created yet, please put a link to B in the index, below the link to A (see example for Newbie Guide to Recording). It'll be helpful to keep track of the structure of the Wiki.

We're aiming for user-friendliness.

(and yes, it's normal to find a page you've never heard about in the old Wiki)
PS: all page names in the AllPages list are correct. if the link isn't active, just copy/paste it in the browser address bar.
Last edited by Jc on May 20th, 2009, 2:04 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Put yourself in the Readers' Accents Table. See this post.
(Busy real life & traveling, sorry if not here often.)
Cori

Post by Cori »

Aye aye, Cap'n! (I can't do much tonight, just catching up on foruming before zooming out again, but I will be in as soon as possible.)
There's honestly no such thing as a stupid question -- but I'm afraid I can't rule out giving a stupid answer : : To Posterity and Beyond!
Jc

Post by Jc »

thanks a lot, Cori!

I've added some more info to the first post.
RuthieG

Post by RuthieG »

I will try and do some tomorrow - you really don't want me wiki-ing late at night. My brain dies. ;)

Ruth
My LV catalogue page | RuthieG's CataBlog of recordings | Tweet: @RuthGolding
Jc

Post by Jc »

Great1 Thanks, Ruth!

I just came across this section while editing: http://librivox.org/wiki/moin.cgi/Audacity#head-de7a0ea2a854cf2334724e68b5217fb3f81c79ab

Is anyone using the 2nd method, and does it really make a difference? (Or is it more likely to confuse the readers?)
hugh
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by hugh »

Ok I will try to get some of this done in the next 2 days.

good job JC!
chocoholic
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by chocoholic »

Jc wrote:I just came across this section while editing: http://librivox.org/wiki/moin.cgi/Audacity#head-de7a0ea2a854cf2334724e68b5217fb3f81c79ab

Is anyone using the 2nd method, and does it really make a difference? (Or is it more likely to confuse the readers?)
I think that whole section is confusing! I like the Noise Cleaning page much better. Could we just link the noise cleaning page instead?
Laurie Anne
icyjumbo

Post by icyjumbo »

In fact, that second method seems rather odd to me. Surely reducing the amount of noise-cleaning applied (the first slider in the dialog box) will achieve the same effect? The method even alludes to that when it says "When actually doing the noise removal, use a very low setting on the slide-bar."
Jc

Post by Jc »

"Advice From" pages: move or drop?

I was thinking of dropping them, and replace them with Categories (eg: Category:User Advice)
They,re not particularly useful anyway, since they're pretty empty...
Cori

Post by Cori »

The one I'm looking at (Readers) is pretty astonishing ... telling me how to configure my WinXP startup routine and automatic updates. Umm, not that it's not interesting, but I'm struggling to find it LibriVoxy. I think these are a starting place to collect ideas, but that perhaps the stuff could usefully be rolled into other pages (after all, the whole wiki is "Advice from", really.)
There's honestly no such thing as a stupid question -- but I'm afraid I can't rule out giving a stupid answer : : To Posterity and Beyond!
Cori

Post by Cori »

The more I look at it, the more I love that index.

Wondering where to fit in pages for the Sci-fi Short Story index (lists all the stories which folks might read for that collection, since Gutenberg doesn't allow searches by length.) Resources? What about the UK chapter's page and the Community Podcast. Do these fit under a new index heading of 'Community' or somewhere better..?
Jc

Post by Jc »

Hmmm... maybe an "advanced" section for more tech savvy people?
CarlManchester

Post by CarlManchester »

This page is displaying weirdly.

The tabs at the top are little, and the left hand menu is right at the bottom.

http://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/LibriVox_in_the_News

Cheers,
Carl.
American Psychology 1922-1947. It's the nearest thing to American Psycho that we are allowed to record.
Jc

Post by Jc »

OMG you broke the WIKI!!
:P
Just kidding.

I took out all the <div> tags, and it's OK now. (there were single <div> tags. You may have forgotten to close them, or they didn't need to be there/wrong tag)
icyjumbo

Post by icyjumbo »

Jc wrote:OMG you broke the WIKI!!
ROTFL.

That was much funnier than the real answer. We should do that more often.

(I may have had slightly too much to drink this evening.) :P