On footnotes and parentheses

Post your questions & get help from friendly LibriVoxers
edp05mab

Post by edp05mab »

hello,

I was wondering if anyone has suggestions for how to read out footnotes and things between parentheses?

I have heard a commercial audiobook where they electronically modified the voice slightly for footnotes but it was not that much fun to listen to...

For parentheses, I sort of say what's between them quicker and in a different tone as if I was saying "by the way" but I'm not sure that makes sense to other folks?

Maha
icyjumbo

Post by icyjumbo »

edp05mab wrote:I was wondering if anyone has suggestions for how to read out footnotes and things between parentheses?
There are a variety of ways to handle footnotes. My preferred method is to read to the end of the sentence with the footnote marker in it, then say "Footnote", the text of the footnote, and finish with "End of footnote." That avoids interrupting the flow of he main text too much.

If the footnote is merely a reference to another part of the book, e.g. "See section 13", it may well be better to omit it altogether.

Your BC or MC will probably have an opinion too, which it is best to follow, to maintain coherence in the book.
edp05mab wrote:I have heard a commercial audiobook where they electronically modified the voice slightly for footnotes but it was not that much fun to listen to...
Agreed. It doesn't sound very nice.
edp05mab wrote:For parentheses, I sort of say what's between them quicker and in a different tone as if I was saying "by the way" but I'm not sure that makes sense to other folks?
Makes perfect sense to me, as that is exactly what I try to do. It's a bit like an actor on stage saying his lines, then leaning out to the audience and saying something behind his hands. In other words, an aside.
catchpenny

Post by catchpenny »

For parentheses, I sort of say what's between them quicker and in a different tone as if I was saying "by the way" but I'm not sure that makes sense to other folks?
that's what I do. Unless it is a really, really, long one. Then my tone drags on and I lose track of what I was trying to read. In that case, I say "note," and "end note." That is to differentiate from footnotes, Which I read: Footnote/End Footnote"
Anyone can read accurately. [i]I[/i] read with great expression.
Jc

Post by Jc »

I say Footnote / End Footnote, and I try to read it quicker. I think there was a reader, a while back, who experimented with some filters in Audacity, because the text was full of notes, and it would be annoying to go Footnote, End Footnote all the time, and the result was quite good. (I think he applied a high pass filter). But then again that's a matter of opinion.
Put yourself in the Readers' Accents Table. See this post.
(Busy real life & traveling, sorry if not here often.)
Hokuspokus

Post by Hokuspokus »

See this topic => http://librivox.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=16122

It sounds very good with this book, but it depends on the subject of the text.