How do you get into doing voice-overs professionally?

Everything except LibriVox (yes, this is where knitting gets discussed. Now includes non-LV Volunteers Wanted projects)
kevinl

Post by kevinl »

I want to do v/o work and live on Long Island, in NY. That is one of the reasons I joined - so I could practice while being productive. Having due dates for projects are wonderful motivators! :) Is there anybody in libri-land I could ask questions of about voice-overs? I have no prior acting experience, but took v/o lessons in a professional studio around 15 years ago. I have a really mellow tone (was told it was VALIUM FOR THE EARDRUMS) :roll: . I would like to get an in-the-trenches point of view about it, before I decide to run off and join the circus :lol: instead! My testfile is attached to give you an idea of my voice.
thanks,
Kevin
:shock:

http://upload.librivox.org/share/uploads/jc/passionateshepherdtohislove_marlow_kl.mp3.mp3
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

I have moved this to the Off topic forum as you are not really asking for help about a Librivox matter .

Anne
chocoholic
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by chocoholic »

annise wrote:I have moved this to the Off topic forum as you are not really asking for help about a Librivox matter .
Oops, my fault, Kevin said "Where should I post this, in OT?" and I said "Oh, Need Help should be fine." :lol: Either way, people will find it. Good luck with it, Kevin! (The V/O work, I mean.)
Laurie Anne
Cori

Post by Cori »

I'm by no means an expert, but my suggestions would be:

Sign up in http://www.voice-overs.com/forum/ ... <disclaimer, I am not signed up there> they do seem pretty friendly, and I bet if you rummage around the forums you'll find a lot of people asking the same question and a range of answers which might be useful.

Check out some of the podcasts from http://podcasts.voices.com/voiceoverexperts/ (scroll back through the archives, and there are a number of shows dealing with setting up in business, pricing, marketing and so on. Scott Brick's recent one on audiobook demos was great.) Voices.com is another place to sign up as a jobseeker.

Record lots! I've done a few bits of non-LV work so far, which have come from people hearing my voice at LibriVox, and asking if I could just do something for them. I don't think it's the ONLY way to build a career, I certainly think you'd need to the legwork in terms of marketing and networking, but it's nice to have a ready portfolio to point people at, and as you say, it keeps your skills sharp. And it's nice to have a supportive community around, too, audio work can be kinda lonely.
There's honestly no such thing as a stupid question -- but I'm afraid I can't rule out giving a stupid answer : : To Posterity and Beyond!
CalmDragon

Post by CalmDragon »

Pick an agency at the link below and start by taking classes in voice over acting, then work on a professional demo, but not with their sample materiel, then go through the trades looking for open auditions and get your name out there in a good way.
http://www.newyork411.com/
jgrace

Post by jgrace »

I work for an audiobook publisher, and they are always looking at people to read books. They get a lot of submissions, but if you've done work before that is a huge plus, and almost no one trying to break in ever has done librivox etc.
BellonaTimes

Post by BellonaTimes »

One of our new readers, Brian (he's in the Trail of Lonesome Pine thread in Books), has done some voiceover work.
They call me Threadkiller.
My Catalog Page