COMPLETE: Aesop's Fables, Volume 9 (Fables 201-225) - SW/ll

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
ChipDoc

Post by ChipDoc »

All recordings can be found on the catalog page: http://librivox.org/aesops-fables-volume-9-fables-201-225/

Aesop's Fables, Volume 9 (Fables 201-225)

Here's the NINTH volume in this series! These Fables are very popular, and folks love to sign up for them. What's more, they're all SHORT - even a new reader can go from signup to sending the completed file in less than an hour. Experienced readers can literally do these in less than ten minutes. But real life often intrudes upon the best intentions, and sometimes these Fables go unread for extended periods.

So sign up for as many of these as you like, but only sign up for those which you're intending to read NOW. If I haven't received the file by the morning of the second day after I acknowledge your request for a Fable, that fable will again become available for readers to choose.

In order to make this easier, each Fable now has its own hotlink so you can just click on the Fable name and see the text of the Fable itself without having to download all 284 of them from Gutenberg. That way you can see what you're signing up for right off the bat - and even have it there in front of you to read then and there. They're tiny text files so they should pop up essentially instantly, even over a modem line. You may of course also download the complete text from Gutenberg.

I thought that the idea of doing Aesop's Fables was charming, but was daunted by the fact that there are 284 of the things. Thanks to Annie for the elegant solution of breaking them up into Volumes of 25 Fables each. That'll allow us to read each Fable as an individual chapter. It'll make for short readings, which should prove a comfortable way for new folks to get their feet wet in the strange new format of reading aloud into your computer. A nice side benefit is that even folks with modem lines should be able to upload these without too much trouble. Most are less than 2 minutes long. Feel free to take a bunch of them!

Target completion date: March 11, 2006
Project Gutenberg e-text: http://www.gutenberg.org/files/11339/11339-8.txt

AESOP'S FABLES Volume 9 (Fables 201-225)

*DONE*09-01 THE PACK-ASS, THE WILD ASS, AND THE LION <OldakQuill>
*DONE*09-02 THE ANT <OldakQuill>
*DONE*09-03 THE FROGS AND THE WELL <OldakQuill>
*DONE*09-04 THE CRAB AND THE FOX <OldakQuill>
*DONE*09-05 THE FOX AND THE GRASSHOPPER <SpectralDesign.Net>
*DONE*09-06 THE FARMER, HIS BOY, AND THE ROOKS <Balfegor>
*DONE*09-07 THE ASS AND THE DOG <Balfegor>
*DONE*09-08 THE ASS CARRYING THE IMAGE <Balfegor>
*DONE*09-09 THE ATHENIAN AND THE THEBAN <AaronH>
*DONE*09-10 THE GOATHERD AND THE GOAT <pipacsos>
*DONE*09-11 THE SHEEP AND THE DOG <pipacsos>
*DONE*09-12 THE SHEPHERD AND THE WOLF <AaronH>
*DONE*09-13 THE LION, JUPITER, AND THE ELEPHANT <Bronwyn Kate>
*DONE*09-14 THE PIG AND THE SHEEP <SpectralDesign.Net>
*DONE*09-15 THE GARDENER AND HIS DOG <SpectralDesign.Net>
*DONE*09-16 THE RIVERS AND THE SEA <SpectralDesign.Net>
*DONE*09-17 THE LION IN LOVE <Bronwyn Kate>
*DONE*09-18 THE BEE-KEEPER <pipacsos>
*DONE*09-19 THE WOLF AND THE HORSE <Bronwyn Kate>
*DONE*09-20 THE BAT, THE BRAMBLE, AND THE SEAGULL <OldakQuill>
*DONE*09-21 THE DOG AND THE WOLF <AaronH>
*DONE*09-22 THE WASP AND THE SNAKE <Bronwyn Kate>
*DONE*09-23 THE EAGLE AND THE BEETLE<Bronwyn Kate>
*DONE*09-24 THE FOWLER AND THE LARK <AaronH>
*DONE*09-25 THE FISHERMAN PIPING <pipacsos>

There are no numbers in the Gutenberg text, so if you choose to download from there, please search for your fable by name.

File Name Format
Please use Volume and Fable number to distinguish between the fables. For instance, THE SHEEP AND THE DOG would be
fables_09_11_aesop.mp3

ID3 Tag Formats:
Title/Name: The Sheep and The Dog
Artist: Aesop
Album: Aesop's Fables Volume 9

File Format:
Stereo, 128kpbs, 44,100Hz, MP3

You may either post a link to your completed files here in the forum or email them to yourself by clicking this link:
http://www.yousendit.com/

If you use YouSendIt.com, please post the yousendit link here in the forum.

These things are so short that they should easily fit in a mail attachment too, so if you like you can just send them to me at Chip@ChipDoc.com If you do this, PLEASE include the word "LibriVox" in the Subject Line so I don't simply mass-delete them with the hundred spam messages I get each day... sigh.

Please include the following with your file:
- Your name as you would like it to appear on the catalog page
- URL of your homepage if you have one you would like linked to your name on the catalog page

Please check the Recording Notes thread before recording:
http://librivox.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6427#6430
If this is your first recording, you'll also find this useful:
http://librivox.org/wiki/moin.cgi/NewbieGuideToRecording
The following information should be included within the recordings:

INTRO

"This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: LibriVox.org"

If you wish, say: "Recorded by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"

Say: "Aesop's Fables, [title of fable]"

END OF RECORDING
Please say "end of [title]" and leave a few seconds of silence.

Pease remember to check this thread often for updates!
Last edited by ChipDoc on March 27th, 2006, 5:40 pm, edited 13 times in total.
-Chip
Retired to Colorado
The man who does not read good books has no advantage over the man who cannot read them.
~Mark Twain
Bronwyn Kate

Post by Bronwyn Kate »

I have recorded

19 ( http://s32.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=3QANM5GQA6NCL36J6G0FFGVDP9)
22 (http://s32.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=06G9XMYDYL5322WM4M21G7SQUX)
and 23 (http://s32.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=2JA06YIWWVBJU1QXE9WSXOIGLR).

And I will record 13 (http://s24.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=1UHB0V7QGB9NO0Y81O1EG2RV49)
and 17 (http://s24.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=1W7YEVQLIY0IX0WYPMMO0QU463)
unfortunately the mail could not be sent. Why not?
too.
(As soon as I find them that is ... WHY don't you make the directory accessible? They're only itty text files which won't hurt anyone!).
Last edited by Bronwyn Kate on March 17th, 2006, 9:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RebeccaBrown

Post by RebeccaBrown »

Hi, Chip! I'll take the first 5, if that's all right
ChipDoc

Post by ChipDoc »

Bronwyn Kate wrote:unfortunately the mail could not be sent. Why not?
I don't honestly know why, but that's the advantage of pasting all of those links into the forum here. I got all five of them - well, three of them so far. Thost three sound great - thanks!
Bronwyn Kate wrote:WHY don't you make the directory accessible? They're only itty text files which won't hurt anyone!).
Blocking access to the directory except through a link is one of the basic tenets of internet security. You should be able to simply click on the name of the fable and it'll pop right up. The naming convention is pretty obvious too, so you can just type in the name of the fable you want and it'll pop up that way too.
-Chip
Retired to Colorado
The man who does not read good books has no advantage over the man who cannot read them.
~Mark Twain
ChipDoc

Post by ChipDoc »

That's fine Rebecca. I've got you marked down for the first five:

09-01 THE PACK-ASS, THE WILD ASS, AND THE LION <RebeccaBrown>
09-02 THE ANT <RebeccaBrown>
09-03 THE FROGS AND THE WELL <RebeccaBrown>
09-04 THE CRAB AND THE FOX <RebeccaBrown>
09-05 THE FOX AND THE GRASSHOPPER <RebeccaBrown>

Please remember to boost the sound level around 25dB from the last ones and use the file naming conventions in the first post. Thanks!
-Chip
Retired to Colorado
~Mark Twain
SpectralDesign.Net

Post by SpectralDesign.Net »

09-14 THE PIG AND THE SHEEP
09-15 THE GARDENER AND HIS DOG
09-16 THE RIVERS AND THE SEA

Recorded, tagged, compressed, and emailed!
Last edited by SpectralDesign.Net on March 18th, 2006, 6:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Balfegor

Post by Balfegor »

I would like to do

09-06 THE FARMER, HIS BOY, AND THE ROOKS
09-07 THE ASS AND THE DOG
09-08 THE ASS CARRYING THE IMAGE

Actually, I have already done them, and am just converting them to MP3 at the moment.

Tae
pipacsos

Post by pipacsos »

Hi Chip,

I'd like to do

09-10 THE GOATHERD AND THE GOAT
09-11 THE SHEEP AND THE DOG
09-18 THE BEE-KEEPER
09-25 THE FISHERMAN PIPING
Mariann
ChipDoc

Post by ChipDoc »

OK, SpectralDesign.Net - These are yours:

09-14 THE PIG AND THE SHEEP <SpectralDesign.Net>
09-15 THE GARDENER AND HIS DOG <SpectralDesign.Net>
09-16 THE RIVERS AND THE SEA <SpectralDesign.Net>

Be sure to let me know how you'd like to be credited on the Catalog page. Name? URL?

Come to think of it, I can probably guess the URL... ;)
-Chip
Retired to Colorado
~Mark Twain
ChipDoc

Post by ChipDoc »

Well I certainly can't fault your enthusiasm, Balfegor. Just for the record, though there wasn't any problem here, if I get two versions of something we go with the version done by the person who requested it first.

*DONE*09-06 THE FARMER, HIS BOY, AND THE ROOKS <Balfegor>
*DONE*09-07 THE ASS AND THE DOG <Balfegor>
*DONE*09-08 THE ASS CARRYING THE IMAGE <Balfegor>

That's a nice set of pipes you've got there, Tae! Hope to hear lots more from you here on LibriVox! Don't worry about the mono/stereo thing. When you read into a single mic (unless it's a stereo mic) the same thing is laid onto both tracks of the "stereo" recording anyhow. The listener can't tell the difference between the two.
-Chip
Retired to Colorado
~Mark Twain
ChipDoc

Post by ChipDoc »

Thanks, pipacsos - these are yours:

09-10 THE GOATHERD AND THE GOAT <pipacsos>
09-11 THE SHEEP AND THE DOG <pipacsos>
09-18 THE BEE-KEEPER <pipacsos>
09-25 THE FISHERMAN PIPING <pipacsos>
-Chip
Retired to Colorado
~Mark Twain
ChipDoc

Post by ChipDoc »

I got your three, Curtis. All three sound great! Nice and loud, nicely paced, and no noticeable noise in the recording - wonderful job!

Thanks for the kind words, but it really does take everyone's efforts to make LibriVox run. There are folks here who don't read at all, but who make valuable contributions with such things as prooflistening, cataloging, and maintaining the Wiki. Incidentally, did you add yourself to the Wiki? I noticed that you'd appeared in the List of Reader's Names between the time that I asked you that question and when I went to update it just now. Incidentally, if you put a ! just before a name with twin caps (like SpectralDesign), it won't try to make a link out of it.
-Chip
Retired to Colorado
~Mark Twain
SpectralDesign.Net

Post by SpectralDesign.Net »

Thanks, Chip!

Yes, I made a wiki account and added myself to the catalog after I sent in the 3 recordings to you. Thanks for that tip about the auto-linking issue... Thank you for correcting it in the catalog, and thanks for the kind feedback!

^Curtis
ChipDoc

Post by ChipDoc »

Oh and I can't help you with Linux, but I believe that Stephan is the Linux guru amongst us.
-Chip
Retired to Colorado
~Mark Twain
AaronH

Post by AaronH »

I'd like to try some if thats ok - I've just got my PC all set up to record.

09-12 - The Shephard and the Wolf
09-21 - The Dog and the Wolf
09-24 - The Fowler and the Lark

Cheers

Aaron