[COMPLETE][IBSEN SPOOF] Cinderella by George Calderon - rg

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
RuthieG

Post by RuthieG »

Cinderella by George Calderon (1868 - 1915)

You're not going to believe this, but this project is now complete! All audio files can be found on our catalog page: https://librivox.org/cinderella-by-george-calderon/
If you are expecting glass slippers and pumpkin coaches, look elsewhere...

From the Prologue: "The Theatrical Manager comes before the curtain and introduces the play with a short speech, in which he says that he has endeavoured to please both generations, providing Ibsen for the young and Pantomime for the old. The result is a Pantomime as Ibsen would have written it, if only it had occurred to him to write one." Thus begins Calderon's hilarious Ibsenesque version of Cinderella.

Calderon wanted, in true pantomime tradition, to have the part of Mrs. Inquest played by a man as pantomime dame. In this recording Mrs. Inquest is played by a woman pretending to be a man pretending to be a woman.

NOTE : This play was put aside to be worked on when the right moment should come. Unhappily it never came; but even in its present form the play has seemed too characteristic of its author to be lost, and it is therefore printed as it stands.

If you are a devoted Ibsen fan, you may hate this. People who know but do not like Ibsen will probably find it very funny.(Summary by Ruth Golding)
  1. How to claim a part, and 'how it all works' here

To find a role to record, simply look at point 4. below at the sections. All the ones without names beside them are “up for grabs.” Click "Post reply" at the top left of the screen and tell us which role you’d like to read. Read points 5. to 7. below for what to do before, during and after your recording.
  2. New to recording?

Please read our Newbie Guide to Recording!
  3. Where do I find the text? Source text (please only read from this text!): http://www.archive.org/details/threeplaysandpan00caldrich

Songs:
    Oh poor old Mr Hasquith - chorus: http://upload.librivox.org/share/uploads/rg/cinderella.zip
    Please use a filename like cinderella_song1_xx.mp3 where xx is your initials.
    We're the Ibsen, Gibson Rickety-rackety Gells: http://upload.librivox.org/share/uploads/rg/ibsengirls.zip
    Please use a filename like cinderella_song2_xx.mp3 where xx is your initials.
    The zips have the sheet music and an MP3 to sing along with. Please submit your voice only, so that I can put them all together with the accompaniment and verses later.
  4. Please claim roles (the numbers in the first column below)! Please note: All Librivox recordings are in the public domain. When you submit your recording, you will be placing your recording in the public domain as well.

If this is your first recording, please let me know under which name or pseudonym you'd like to appear in the LibriVox catalogue. We can also link to a personal website/blog.

Magic Window:

BC Admin
  5. BEFORE recording: Please check the Recording Notes: http://librivox.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6427#6430

Set your recording software to:

Channels: 1 (Mono)

Bit Rate: 128 kbps

Sample Rate: 44.1 kHz

Submit one file per act.
  6. Make sure you add this to the beginning of your recording:

[Role], read by [your name].

If you are reading stage directions, please include for each file:

At the beginning: Act [#] of Cinderella, by George Calderon. This is a Librivox recording. All Librivox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit Librivox dot org.

At the end: End of Act [#]. At the end of the play, add End of Cinderella, by George Calderon.

Please remember to check this thread frequently for updates!
  7. AFTER recording:

Save files as .flac, if possible, otherwise 128 kbps MP3 cinderella_[role]_[#].mp3 (all lower-case), where # is the act number.

ID3 V2 tags: Not needed for individual parts.

Transfer of files (completed recordings)

Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
    • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader:[/b]
      • https://librivox.org/login/uploader
        (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
      • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: RuthieG
      • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
      • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.
Any questions? Please post below or PM me.
Last edited by RuthieG on March 12th, 2009, 7:33 am, edited 5 times in total.
My LV catalogue page | RuthieG's CataBlog of recordings | Tweet: @RuthGolding
RuthieG

Post by RuthieG »

I have transcribed the script, if you find it easier to read it like this:
See http://docs.google.com/Doc?id=dd7rjj4x_3c7hcdjdp&hl=en

This play is for anyone who really loves hamming up their acting. :D

NOTE: The parts of Mrs Inquest and Aunt Judy are to be played by men (or women who can sound like men playing women. :p) I am sorely tempted to take Mrs Inquest myself... :lol:

Ruth
mb

Post by mb »

RuthieG wrote:I have transcribed the script, if you find it easier to read it like this:
See http://docs.google.com/Doc?id=dd7rjj4x_3c7hcdjdp&hl=en

This play is for anyone who really loves hamming up their acting. :D

NOTE: The parts of Mrs Inquest and Aunt Judy are to be played by men (or women who can sound like men playing women. :p) I am sorely tempted to take Mrs Inquest myself... :lol:

Ruth
This is GENIUS.
RissaDove

Post by RissaDove »

oh oh oh!! Hedda sounds like an awfully mean person. Can I play her pretty please?
RuthieG

Post by RuthieG »

RissaDove wrote:oh oh oh!! Hedda sounds like an awfully mean person. Can I play her pretty please?
Certainly! As long as you can be REALLY horrid. :D
TheoD

Post by TheoD »

Haven't done a recording for Librivox before but... I would love to do one for this! A brilliant piece of drama I think this is. Please let me have a part!

To tell you the truth, I can't decide between the role of Tesman and the Demon. Perhaps you could decide for me? Tesman has more substantial part with a great ending, but the demon has the cool cockney accent plus forbidden love interest. Hmmm...
You should know I have all the enthusiasm of the world to do this; I like doing voices. :P

So please!
RuthieG

Post by RuthieG »

Welcome, Theo! I should be happy for you to take either role... I listened to your test recording, and in me 'umble opinion you are young enough to do Tesman and not too Strine to do the Demon. :lol:

Ruth
RuthieG

Post by RuthieG »

Oh... and I have succumbed to temptation. I am going to try Mrs Hinquest. I'm a sucker for silly voices. :D
TheoD

Post by TheoD »

So I flipped a coin: heads be Tesman, tails be Demon. I got... tails.
Then I went into a deep research into Cockney and lost confidence in being able to produce the accent.

So I guess I'm doing Tesman! :lol:

In a highly stereotypical English accent that probably is just as bad as my Cockney.
But at least I'm more used to doing the English accent badly. :roll:

But now, right off the bat, I want to ask here the proper way to pronouce a few words (though some look even to me completely obvious), namely: Hedda, goloshes, salaam, Madam (accent on which syllable?), D'Urbervilles, "Gop, Gop! Doόshenka mayá!", Norwegian.
Or maybe I'm asking for too much, I'm sorry. :(
RuthieG

Post by RuthieG »

TheoD wrote:So I guess I'm doing Tesman! :lol:

In a highly stereotypical English accent that probably is just as bad as my Cockney....
Please don't worry about Tesman's accent. :) You'll be just fine. We positively welcome all accents anyway. It is only the Demon that is specifically written cockney-style, and would lose something if not done that way.
But now, right off the bat, I want to ask here the proper way to pronouce a few words (though some look even to me completely obvious), namely: Hedda, goloshes, salaam, Madam (accent on which syllable?), D'Urbervilles, "Gop, Gop! Doόshenka mayá!", Norwegian.
Pronunciation just as they are written with stress as follows:

HEDda
goLOSHes (I usually see it spelled galoshes :? )
saLAAM
MADam
D'URBervilles
NorWEEjan

"Gop, Gop! Doόshenka mayá!" Eeek, no idea. I will ask in Help Wanted. :)
EDIT: Now you will begin to see what an amazing place this is, Theo. Within minutes of posting, Kristine came up with:
Kikisaulite wrote:Here you go: http://upload.librivox.org/share/uploads/kb/russian-gop.mp3
At least I presume that's what was meant - a line from a popular old song.

Or maybe I'm asking for too much, I'm sorry. :(
You can never ask too much. :D

Ruth
britishcowgirl

Post by britishcowgirl »

Could I possible be the fairy? She sounds like a lot of fun! And, if I can, do you have any suggestions as to voice? British accent or French? I know she is supposed to be very old, but maybe a silly, childlike character? I'll have to see is there are any character/stage directions! This would be my first Libirvox recording, so I'd have to brush-up on the basics
David O'Connell

Post by David O'Connell »

Oh, I so have to be a part of this.

Edit: I'd love to give my falsetto a shot with Aunt Judy.
Last edited by David O'Connell on December 18th, 2008, 1:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I once knew how to fix mercury, and now I am myself fixed.
mb

Post by mb »

Me too! Stockfish is appealing (!), but I'd read whatever you wanted me to.
Jc

Post by Jc »

Awww... I wanna be the Demon, but I can't do a Cockney accent.
Can I do a French accent? (Would still match the words)

PS: It doesn't sing, does it?
Put yourself in the Readers' Accents Table. See this post.
(Busy real life & traveling, sorry if not here often.)
RuthieG

Post by RuthieG »

britishcowgirl wrote:Could I possible be the fairy? She sounds like a lot of fun! And, if I can, do you have any suggestions as to voice? British accent or French? I know she is supposed to be very old, but maybe a silly, childlike character? I'll have to see is there are any character/stage directions! This would be my first Libirvox recording, so I'd have to brush-up on the basics
I will mark you down for the Fairy. As it's your first recording, I think the best thing would be for you to do a test recording to make sure all the technical specs, volume etc are OK.

You could do the test recording of a few lines from the play with several accents and we can take a listen to see which would be most suitable. :D

Ruth