[COMPLETE] A Treatise... by George Berkeley - cm

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
CarlManchester

Post by CarlManchester »

A Treatise Concerning the Principles of Human Knowledge, Part 1 by George Berkeley.

This book is now complete. All audio files can be found on our catalog page: http://librivox.org/berkeleys-treatise/

NOTE TO READERS: Please include the section numbers as part of your reading.
Wikipedia wrote:A Treatise Concerning the Principles of Human Knowledge (Commonly called "Treatise" when referring to Berkeley's works) is a 1710 work by the Irish Empiricist philosopher George Berkeley.

This book largely seeks to refute the claims made by his contemporary John Locke about the nature of human perception. Whilst, like all the Empiricist philosophers, both Locke and Berkeley agreed that there was an outside world, and it was this world which caused the ideas one has within one's mind, Berkeley sought to prove that the outside world was also composed solely of ideas. Berkeley did this by suggesting that "Ideas can only resemble Ideas" - the mental ideas that we possessed could only resemble other ideas (not physical objects) and thus the external world consisted not of physical form, but rather of ideas. This world was given logic and regularity by some other force, which Berkeley concluded was God.
MAGIC WINDOW:

(BC admin)
  1. How to claim a part, and 'how it all works' here
    To find a section to record, simply look at point 5. below at the sections. All the ones without names beside them are “up for grabs.” Click "Post reply" at the top left of the screen and tell us which section you’d like to read (include the section number from the left-most column in the reader list, please). Read points 6. to 8. below for what to do before, during and after your recording.
  2. New to recording?
    Please read our Newbie Guide to Recording!
  3. Is there a deadline?
    Target completion date of this project: 28 February 2009 – but try to send your recordings as soon as you can. Please note that if we haven't heard from you for three months, your section(s) may automatically be re-opened for other readers. If you cannot do your section, for whatever reason, just let me know and it’ll go back to the pool. There’s no shame in this; we’re all volunteers and things happen.
  4. Where do I find the text?
    Source text: Read from TEXT link in Magic Window above
    Original Source: http://oregonstate.edu/instruct/phl302/texts/berkeley/principles_contents.html
  5. Please claim sections (the numbers in the first column below)!
    If this is your first recording, please let me know under which name or pseudonym you'd like to appear in the LibriVox catalogue. We can also link to a personal website/blog.

Prospective Prooflisteners: Please read the Listeners Wanted FAQ before listening! Level of prooflistening requested: Standard
  6. BEFORE recording:
    Please check the Recording Notes:
    http://librivox.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6427#6430

Set your recording software to:

Channels: 1 (Mono)
    Bit Rate: 128 kbps
    Sample Rate: 44.1 kHz
  7. DURING recording:
    Make sure you add this to the beginning and end of your recording:
    Start of recording (Intro)
    • ["Introdcution to/Sections XX to XX of] Berkeley's Treatise. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name]"
    • Say:
      "[Introdcution to/Sections XX to XX of] A Treatise Concerning the Principles of Human Knowledge, Part 1 by George Berkeley"

End of recording
    • At the end of the section, say:
      End of [Introdcution/Sections XX to XX]"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
      "End of [Introdcution to/Sections XX to XX of] Berkeley's Treatise"

Please leave 5 seconds silence at the end of your recording, or 10 seconds for files longer than 30 minutes!

Also, please remember to check this thread frequently for updates!
  8. AFTER recording:
    Need noise-cleaning?
    Listen to your file through headphones. If you can hear some constant background noise (hiss/buzz), you may want to clean it up a bit. The new (free) version 1.3.3. of Audacity (Mac/Win) has much improved noise-cleaning. See this LibriVox wiki page for a complete guide.

Save files as
    128 kbps MP3
    treatise_##_berkeley.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is your *LibriVox* section number. (e.g. treatise_01_berkeley.mp3)

ID3 V2 tags
    (To find out more about ID3 tags, go to our wiki: http://librivox.org/wiki/moin.cgi/WhatIsID3)
    Add the following tags to your .mp3 file (how you do this depends on which software you use – if you are unsure about ID3 tags, send me a message). Please mind upper and lower case!

Title: ## - [Introduction/Sections XX to XX]
    Artist: George Berkeley
    Album: Selected Works: A Treatise Concerning the Principles of Human Knowledge, Part 1

Please ignore tags for Genre and Track Number - these will be filled in automatically at the cataloguing stage.

Transfer of files (completed recordings)
    Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file.
    Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
    • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader (when your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread):
      http://upload.librivox.org
      (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
      You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: cm - Carl Manchester
    • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.

Any questions?
Please post below or PM me.
Last edited by CarlManchester on May 11th, 2009, 8:05 am, edited 3 times in total.
American Psychology 1922-1947. It's the nearest thing to American Psycho that we are allowed to record.
Sue Anderson

Post by Sue Anderson »

Hi. I would like to volunteer for Sections 1 and 3 (Front Matter/Preface and Sections 1-14). Regards, Sue
CarlManchester

Post by CarlManchester »

Yours, Sue. Thanks.
American Psychology 1922-1947. It's the nearest thing to American Psycho that we are allowed to record.
Sue Anderson

Post by Sue Anderson »

Sue Anderson

Post by Sue Anderson »

Hi again. Here is section 3
http://upload.librivox.org/share/uploads/cm/treatise_03_berkeley.mp3
Time 19.33
Regards, Sue
CarlManchester

Post by CarlManchester »

Thanks Sue.
CarlManchester

Post by CarlManchester »

Hi all,

Just to let you know I'm away for a bit (until 7th December). I will be checking in every few days, but please be prepared for delayed response times.

Thanks,
Carl.
sidneyg

Post by sidneyg »

hi i'll pl 1&3 for you
sidneyg
CarlManchester

Post by CarlManchester »

Thanks sideneyg
sidneyg

Post by sidneyg »

Hi, Frontmatter & Preface & Sections 1-14, PL OK! Sidney
hassanwtahir

Post by hassanwtahir »

Hi. I'd like to volunteer to read sections 2, 4, and 5.
Hassan
CarlManchester

Post by CarlManchester »

Thanks Hassan, I've included you in the Magic Window.

As a new member, you might like to look at the New Users Frequently Asked Questions, if you haven't already:

http://librivox.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1491

If you need anything else, please just ask.

Welcome to LibriVox,
Carl.
CarlManchester

Post by CarlManchester »

sidneyg wrote:Hi, Frontmatter & Preface & Sections 1-14, PL OK! Sidney
Thanks Sidney.
GeoffreyEdwards

Post by GeoffreyEdwards »

Hi. I can read sections 7 and 8.
Sibella

Post by Sibella »

Can I have 12, please?
[size=100][b]It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. -Aristotle

[/b][/size]