COMPLETE: East Lynne, by Mrs. Henry Wood - jo

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
miss stav

Post by miss stav »

East Lynne, by Mrs. Henry Wood

This project is now complete. All audio files can be found on our catalog page here:

http://librivox.org/east-lynne-by-mrs-henry-wood/

Note: Sibella will be co-bc and help me with the magic window.
"Ellen Wood (1814-1887) was an English novelist, better known as Mrs. Henry Wood. She wrote over 30 novels, many of which (especially East Lyne which was a Victorian best seller and is still sometimes performed as a drama) enjoyed remarkable popularity.

Lady Isabel Carlyle, a beautiful and refined young woman, leaves her hard-working but neglectful lawyer-husband and her infant children to elope with an aristocratic suitor. After he deserts her, and she bears their illegitimate child, Lady Isabel disguises herself and takes the position of governess in the household of her husband and his new wife".
Summary by Wikipedia
  1. How to claim a part, and 'how it all works' here
    To find a section to record, simply look at point 5. below at the sections. All the ones without names beside them are “up for grabs.” Click "Post reply" at the top left of the screen and tell us which section you’d like to read (include the section number from the left-most column in the reader list, please).
    Read points 6. to 8. below for what to do before, during and after your recording.
  2. New to recording?
    Please read our Newbie Guide to Recording!
  3. Is there a deadline?
    We ask that you submit your recorded sections within 1-2 months of placing your claim (or by the target completion date, whatever is sooner). Please note that to be fair to the readers who have completed their sections in a timely way, if you haven't submitted your recording(s) after two months, your sections will automatically be re-opened for other readers to claim, unless you post in this thread to request an extension. Extensions will be granted at the discretion of the Book Coordinator. If you cannot do your section, for whatever reason, just let me know and it’ll go back to the pool. There’s no shame in this; we’re all volunteers and things happen. The target completion date for this project is 01 November 2011.
  4. Where do I find the text? http://www.gutenberg.org/etext/3322 - 13k - (please only read from this text!)
  5. Please claim sections (the numbers in the first column below)!
    If this is your first recording, please let me know under which name or pseudonym you'd like to appear in the LibriVox catalogue. We can also link your catalog name to a personal website/blog.

Prospective Prooflisteners: Please read the Listeners Wanted FAQ before listening!
    Level of Proof-Listening required: Standard Proof-listening
    • Do the intro and disclaimer match the instructions in the first post of the project thread?
    • Are there any long silences or pauses that ought to be edited out? If so, note the time.
    • Are there any stumbles or repeats that ought to be edited out? If so, note the words and the time.
    • Is there excessive background noise, a constant hiss or buzz that detracts from the reading?
    • Did you need to turn your volume up unusually high to listen to the recording? (Or did you find the recording too loud?)
    • Are the correct closing words used at the end of the recording, as per the first post of the project thread?
    • Are there 5 seconds of silence (10 if the recording is more than 30 minutes long) at the end of the file?"
    • And another request: if a new reader submits a test recording, please listen to it.
    MAGIC WINDOW:

(BC/DPL admin)
  6. BEFORE recording:
    Please check the Recording Notes:
    http://librivox.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6427#6430

Set your recording software to:
    • Channels: 1 (Mono)
      Bit Rate: 128 kbps
      Sample Rate: 44.1 kHz
  7. DURING recording:
    Make sure you add this to the beginning and end of your recording:
    Start of recording (Intro)
    • "Chapter [number] of [East Lynne]. - This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name]"
    • Say:
      "East Lynne, by Mrs. Henry Wood, [Chapter ##]"
  8. End of recording
    • At the end of the section, say:
      End of [Chapter]"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
      "End of East Lynne, by Mrs. Henry Wood."

Please leave 5 seconds silence at the end of your recording, or 10 seconds for files longer than 30 minutes!

Also, please remember to check this thread frequently for updates!
  9. AFTER recording:
    Need noise-cleaning?
    Listen to your file through headphones. If you can hear some constant background noise (hiss/buzz), you may want to clean it up a bit. The new (free) version 1.3.3. of Audacity (Mac/Win) has much improved noise-cleaning. See this
    LibriVox wiki page
    for a complete guide.

Save files as
    128 kbps MP3
    eastlynne_##_wood.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is your section number. (e.g. eastlynne_01_wood.mp3)

ID3 V2 tags
    (To find out more about ID3 tags, go to our wiki: http://librivox.org/wiki/moin.cgi/WhatIsID3)
    Add the following tags to your .mp3 file (how you do this depends on which software you use – if you are unsure about ID3 tags, send me a message). Please mind upper and lower case!

Title: [Section title]
    Artist: Mrs. Henry Wood.
    Album: East Lynne.

Please ignore tags for Genre and Track Number - these will be filled in automatically at the cataloguing stage.

Transfer of files (completed recordings)
    Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file.
    Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
    • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader (when your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread):
      http://upload.librivox.org
      (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
      You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: jo - knotyouraveragejo
    • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.

Any questions?
Please post below or PM me.
:)
Last edited by miss stav on May 14th, 2010, 10:02 am, edited 3 times in total.
Love gothic novels? Try Children Of The Abbey. Like surprising mysteries? Try The Amathist Cross. Looking for an easy read? Try Harriet's Choice.
PaulW

Post by PaulW »

Database all set up, Stave. Your project is now ready for readers.

I'll let Sibella add the chapter titles and word counts when she gets back from her conference, either Tuesday evening, or sometime Wednesday. Or sooner, if she can access things while at the conference.
Paul
[b]DPL: [url=http://librivox.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=12852]Brigands of the Moon[/url]; [url=http://librivox.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=13151]Brain Twister[/url][/b]
miss stav

Post by miss stav »

Thank you so much, Paul. I am so happy to start this project.
Love gothic novels? Try Children Of The Abbey. Like surprising mysteries? Try The Amathist Cross. Looking for an easy read? Try Harriet's Choice.
Sibella

Post by Sibella »

Very good, Stav! I'll get on this later. I can work on it from the conference.
[size=100][b]It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. -Aristotle

[/b][/size]
Sibella

Post by Sibella »

Oh, and I signed myself up for the first and last chapters!
[size=100][b]It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. -Aristotle

[/b][/size]
miss stav

Post by miss stav »

Thank you so much, Sibella. You are the best! Hope you'll love this book. I love it already.
(very happy).
Stav.
Sibella

Post by Sibella »

Hey Stav and Paul. Some of these chapters are pretty long. Most are 4,000 tp 5,000 words, but some are 8,000 or almost 10,000. Can I note in the magic box that they should be recorded in two files? (I don't mean that we add more lines to the MB or more sections, but rather indicate that one person should read the chapter, only split it in two parts?)

[/b][/size]
miss stav

Post by miss stav »

Hi Sibella and Paul,
I think we need more lines in the mw. If we write in the mw for a surten chapter "should be read in two parts" some readers would pass it on. But if we split the chapters in to readable sections, it would be much eseyer to find readers. And let's not menshen that it would take less time to record them. Please write here which chapters need spliting, and how you think it should be splited. Howmany chapters need spliting?
Stav.
Sibella

Post by Sibella »

Probably 10 of them. There are a bunch that are almost 6000 words and up.

[/b][/size]
miss stav

Post by miss stav »

My god! A bunch of long chapters. And I see 3 more has been claimed. Wow, thanks Sibella.
Last edited by miss stav on October 6th, 2008, 12:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Starlite

Post by Starlite »

I found it easier to split now (before recording starts) then later. People can then just pick up half a chapter or a full one. They NEED their own lines in the magic window in order to work with the new functions we have in the validator. It makes the cataloging process much faster.

Esther :)
"Reasonable people adapt themselves to the world. Unreasonable
people attempt to adapt the world to themselves. All progress,
therefore, depends on unreasonable people." George Bernard Shaw
miss stav

Post by miss stav »

Thanks, Esther. But which once should we split? In one of my pling projects, a reader read a chapter of 8000 and something words in 50 minits.
Starlite

Post by Starlite »

miss stav wrote:Thanks, Esther. But which once should we split? In one of my pling projects, a reader read a chapter of 8000 and something words in 50 minits.
I would leave that up to Sibella since she knows how fast she reads and can make a good judgment on it. I was just mentioning it should be done sooner rather then later.

Esther :D

Edit to add: Maybe make a note in the first post for readers to wait a bit on claiming sections till you sort it out.
"Reasonable people adapt themselves to the world. Unreasonable
people attempt to adapt the world to themselves. All progress,
therefore, depends on unreasonable people." George Bernard Shaw
miss stav

Post by miss stav »

Yes, it's up to you, Sibella. Mean while, readers can claim the shorter chapters.
(Very happy).
And I hope a dpl would come along.
(Very happy).
Stav.
PaulW

Post by PaulW »

I'd bump it up to 60 (13 additional) except I'm at work, which only has IE, and it's not compatible with the database admin page. :evil: I'll add them this evening when I get home, unless some other kind admin does it for me. If that's too many, we can delete some later, or add some more if more are needed.
Paul
[b]DPL: [url=http://librivox.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=12852]Brigands of the Moon[/url]; [url=http://librivox.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=13151]Brain Twister[/url][/b]