Third Anniversary of LibriVox -- let's celebrate!

Non-reading activities need your help too!
Cori

Post by Cori »

It's our Third Birthday on 10th August!

Let's celebrate! But how??? Suggestions welcome!

For my part, I'm starting to plan a community podcast for that week (8th August) and am actively requesting content. Please tell one (or more!) of your LibriVox stories, either to a microphone or to me in writing by PM or email. [MP3s to my folder 'cs' on the uploader, and please PM me to let me know a file's there.] You could say something about a special recording you've made or listened to. Maybe a book that's meant a lot to a family member or friend. Perhaps explain a bit about how/why you started volunteering here. Or what you'd like to achieve here in the coming year. Which stats have amazed you the most, as we've grown and grown. Even what texts you'd most like to see started -- and finished! :lol:

Any stories you like, as long as they're yours and they're about LibriVox! I'm going to be asking around, too, by posting on our blog and probably other places ... so if you know any other listeners / fans, please let them know I'd love to hear from them too!

What other celebrations would be good..? Obviously there'll be virtual champagne and cake for everyone on the day! Alcohol and calorie-free, naturally. :D What other fun can we have..?
There's honestly no such thing as a stupid question -- but I'm afraid I can't rule out giving a stupid answer : : To Posterity and Beyond!
ink tree

Post by ink tree »

Happy birthday, Librivox!

Could we plan some sort of Librivox-/book-/birthday-themed recording for that night? Several versions of the happy birthday song? A sort of "this day in history" thing?
[i]...the stoic Greek philosopher Chrysippus died of laughter after giving his donkey wine, then seeing it attempt to feed on figs.[/i]

[b]:thus spake sarah.[/b]
kristin

Post by kristin »

ink tree wrote:Several versions of the happy birthday song?
Unfortunately, not PD.
[size=75]Whereas story is processed in the mind in a straightforward manner, poetry bypasses rational thought and goes straight to the limbic system and lights it up like a brushfire. It's the crack cocaine of the literary world. - Jasper Fforde[/size]
ductapeguy

Post by ductapeguy »

I like the "This day in history idea" I wonder if we could do a short collection of documents about events occuring on Aug 10. Here are a couple "Aug 10 in History links".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/August_10

http://www.answers.com/topic/august-10
[size=84] Sean McGaughey
Librivox: [url=http://librivox.org/newcatalog/people_public.php?peopleid=231]Catalog[/url] | [url=http://ductapeguy.net]ductapeguy.net-- My music and podcasts[/url][/size]
Starlite

Post by Starlite »

Um it's aug 8th sean!
"Reasonable people adapt themselves to the world. Unreasonable
people attempt to adapt the world to themselves. All progress,
therefore, depends on unreasonable people." George Bernard Shaw
Cori

Post by Cori »

Is it..? I was confused by the release date of the 2006 First Birthday program at archive.org, then ... :(
There's honestly no such thing as a stupid question -- but I'm afraid I can't rule out giving a stupid answer : : To Posterity and Beyond!
ductapeguy

Post by ductapeguy »

[size=84] Sean McGaughey
Librivox: [url=http://librivox.org/newcatalog/people_public.php?peopleid=231]Catalog[/url] | [url=http://ductapeguy.net]ductapeguy.net-- My music and podcasts[/url][/size]
ink tree

Post by ink tree »

I like the idea of brief documents - headlines, etc?

Just wondering: if something like that ["this day..."] were to be done on a larger scale, could some of the facts just be read, eg "born: so-and-so"? If so, would using wikipedia or something as a jumping-off point be against the rules? What could be used? What about events after 1923?

This is totally off-topic so PM if anyone has any ideas, please.
[i]...the stoic Greek philosopher Chrysippus died of laughter after giving his donkey wine, then seeing it attempt to feed on figs.[/i]

[b]:thus spake sarah.[/b]
Starlite

Post by Starlite »

Cori wrote:Is it..? I was confused by the release date of the 2006 First Birthday program at archive.org, then ... :(
I think we were a little late getting it out. 8 / 10 what's a day or two?? :lol:
"Reasonable people adapt themselves to the world. Unreasonable
people attempt to adapt the world to themselves. All progress,
therefore, depends on unreasonable people." George Bernard Shaw
Great Plains

Post by Great Plains »

On the Nov 8, 06 show of Penn Radio, around the time Donald Rumsfeld resigned, they had a show composed mostly of "absolutely true" stories about their wacky exploits with "Rummy". Hilarious.

On a totally unrelated note, Hugh and I used to get into some seriously wacky situations when we lived in Bangkok in the 70's as part of an underground boxing and circus troupe. I'm just sayin' ... :P
Daniel, the Cylon
([url=http://librivox.org/newcatalog/people_public.php?peopleid=2136]LV Profile[/url])
Cori

Post by Cori »

ink tree wrote:Just wondering: if something like that ["this day..."] were to be done on a larger scale, could some of the facts just be read, eg "born: so-and-so"? If so, would using wikipedia or something as a jumping-off point be against the rules? What could be used? What about events after 1923?
We record published texts in the public domain ... and we've generally ruled that appearing online doesn't count as "publication" so ... Wikipedia can be used only as a starting point for research on formal LibriVox recordings, not in its own right. Post-23 events would depend on satisfying the usual copyright requirements, and I think they'd be hard to find and prove. Also, I wouldn't want to restrict this by location, so ... it'd be great if we could comply with laws in the vast majority of countries, both for recording and for listening. Sara Teasdale's the only writer's name I recognise from the list of birthdays.

All that said, for the podcast, we don't HAVE to work under public domain rules, so if someone wanted to record a little section about This Day in History, it could be based on Wikipedia.

I would say that this'll be the same date every year, unless we have a similar date confusion next year, and it doesn't get corrected ... so for me, I'm more interested in LibriVox-related content than in the date per se. But there's scope for lots of different celebrations, of course. :D
anoldfashiongirl

Post by anoldfashiongirl »

We could have David A.K.A GreatPlains write a birthday song for Librivox.

I know we haven't even begun on the other, but that would be cool!

I'm no good at planning such things so y'all plan and I'll help where I can!
~~~ Jami ~~~

Your Life is an occasion, rise to it.
- Mr. Magorium

Signature Loading
(89%/100)
|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
Great Plains

Post by Great Plains »

anoldfashiongirl wrote:We could have David A.K.A GreatPlains write a birthday song for Librivox.

I know we haven't even begun on the other, but that would be cool!

I'm no good at planning such things so y'all plan and I'll help where I can!
The melody to the popular "Birthday Song" is "Good Morning to All", which was composed in 1893. It's only the lyrics to the Birthday Song that are copyrighted.
Daniel, the Cylon
([url=http://librivox.org/newcatalog/people_public.php?peopleid=2136]LV Profile[/url])
anoldfashiongirl

Post by anoldfashiongirl »

I know. That's why I suggested you writing lyrics for LV to that tune.
~~~ Jami ~~~

Your Life is an occasion, rise to it.
- Mr. Magorium

Signature Loading
(89%/100)
|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
Great Plains

Post by Great Plains »

anoldfashiongirl wrote:I know. That's why I suggested you writing lyrics for LV to that tune.
Well, then you're brilliant for two reasons. Props! 8)
Daniel, the Cylon