[RESOLVED] Track Properties in ID3 Tags

Report & help check download problems, corrupted files, badly-named files, bad links etc. (NOT for style & reading complaints)
Stores Express

Post by Stores Express »

I've noticed that alot, if not the majority, of titles are without track properties. Is this by design, or simply a per-volunteer choice to include or not? I ask because I distribute librivox on CD and get customers here and there whose players do not sort properly if the track properties are missing.

I have completed only one solo project (different username), and do not recall the instructions stating to include track numbers, only to name the files in order of track.

Not sure if this is considered an error or maybe just an omission. As I have easily sold a thousand cds in the past six months, I can state the track order/sort problem has only occurred in about 1-3% of cases. A few cases I have fished for device info, and they were usually obscure stereos with mp3 compatibility. I will continue to gather data in the future. Just thougt I'd shoot this out here while I am in reading forum post.

Thanks ahead of time for any news and/or updates about this.
Starlite

Post by Starlite »

It depends on which version you are downloading. The 128kbps should be ok but once the files are derived by archive.org, they may loose some of the info that we put in.

You could always add them in following the instructions in the first post of ever thread. (Even the completed thread still contains the info)

Esther :)
"Reasonable people adapt themselves to the world. Unreasonable
people attempt to adapt the world to themselves. All progress,
therefore, depends on unreasonable people." George Bernard Shaw
Stores Express

Post by Stores Express »

Thanks for the info. That helps make sense to me. I have mostly downloaded 64s, I think.

Usually I just fix on a case by case basis, or tell the customer how to fix. I'll get around to fixing them all via DOS one of these days, but who knows when. If I can't find the time to batch process them all, then it's not worth my time for player anomalies. I've tried a few programs, but haven't figured out a way to just zap them like dos will do. But hopefully before summer's end I will find the time, or gather the money to buy someone else's.

Thanks again!
Cloud Mountain

Post by Cloud Mountain »

You can batch tag in iTunes. Create and name a new playlist, drag/drop all of an audiobook's files into that playlist window, click in (select) the specific playlist window, enter keystrokes Command-A (Control-A) followed by Command-I (Control-I) and the Multiple Item Information window will pop up. Then go for it! There are 14 fields you can fix for all fimes at once. The remainder of the fields are user defined fields which will not be written to the file.

If you want, you can select in Preferences to also rename ALL of the file names for these files when you burn a CD. The filenames will be sequentially renamed base on the parameters you set, so be certain that the files are listed in the proper order. Or you can simple not use iTunes and make your CD's bia someother method.

Have fun.
[url=http://librivox.org/newcatalog/people_public.php?peopleid=254]Alan's LV catalog[/url]
Stores Express

Post by Stores Express »

Thanks Cloud!

Great Tips. I am not very familiar with iTunes, so it sounds like I better get to playing around and learning how to run it. Not sure if it is faster than a one-click dos batch file, but sounds like something I need to look into.

Have a good day!