COMPLETE [POLIT] Nat.Gambling Impact Study Comm.Report -lz

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
stinssd

Post by stinssd »

National Gambling Impact Study Commission Final Report.

All audio files can be found on our catalog page: http://librivox.org/national-gambling-impact-study-commission-final-report/

For copyright reasons, volunteering for this project is open to people living in the following countries. If your country does not appear on the list, but you would like to take part, please pm CarlManchester.

United States, Argentina, Australia, Belgium, Brazil, France, Greece, Hungary, India, Israel, Italy, Jordan, The Netherlands, Poland, Spain, Sweden, United Kingdom.
The National Gambling Impact Study Commission was given the task of conducting a comprehensive legal and factual study on the social and economic implications of gambling in the United States. This report presents the principal findings of that work and recommendations for action. (Summary from the Introduction, modified by Sam Stinson)

1. How to claim a part, and 'how it all works' here
    To find a section to record, simply look at point 5. below at the sections. All the ones without names beside them are “up for grabs.” Click "Post reply" at the top left of the screen and tell us which section you’d like to read (include the section number from the left-most column in the reader list, please). Read points 6. to 8. below for what to do before, during and after your recording.
  2. New to recording?
    Please read our Newbie Guide to Recording!
  3. Is there a deadline?
    Target completion date of this project: 11 Sept. 2008 – but try to send your recordings as soon as you can. If you cannot do your section, for whatever reason, just let me know and it’ll go back to the pool. There’s no shame in this; we’re all volunteers and things happen.
  4. Where do I find the text?
    Source text (please only read from this text!): http://govinfo.library.unt.edu/ngisc/reports/fullrpt.html
  5. Please claim sections (the numbers in the first column below)!
    If this is your first recording, please let me know under which name or pseudonym you'd like to appear in the LibriVox catalogue. We can also link to a personal website/blog.

======================================================
    MAGIC WINDOW:

(BC admin)
    =======================================================
  6. BEFORE recording:
    Please check the Recording Notes:
    http://librivox.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6427#6430

Set your recording software to:
    Bit Rate: 128 kbps
    Sample Rate: 44.1 kHz
  7. The reader will record the following at the beginning and end
    of each file:

Start of recording (Intro)
    • "Chapter [number] of
      National Gambling Impact Study Commission Final Report - This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the
      public domain. For more information, or to find out how you can
      volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by
      (Your name)"
    • Say:
      "Title, by Author. [Translated by [translator]]. [Chapter]"

End of recording
    • At the end of the section, say:
      "End of [Chapter]"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
      "End of Title, by Author. [Translated by [translator]]."

There should be 5 seconds silence at the end of the recording, or
    10 seconds for files longer than 30 minutes.
  8. Example filename
    gambling_00.mp3
  9. Example ID3 V2 tags
    Title: 00 - Introduction
    Artist: United States Government
    Album: National Gambling Impact Study Commission Final Report
http://linux.wku.edu/~stinssd/audio/gambling/gambling_00.mp3 Length: 6:15
http://linux.wku.edu/~stinssd/audio/gambling/gambling_01.mp3 Length: 27:17

All page numbers are PDF page numbers, not the document's listed page numbers.

Sections:

00 - Introduction - Ready to PL
01 - Chapter 1 - Ready to PL
02 - Chapter 2 part 1, pp. 1-9
03 - Chapter 2 part 2, pp. 10-17
04 - Chapter 3 part 1, pp. 1-9
05 - Chapter 3 part 2, pp. 10-18
06 - Chapter 3 part 3, pp. 19-27
07 - Chapter 4 part 1, pp. 1-12
08 - Chapter 4 part 2, pp. 13-23
09 - Chapter 5 pp. 1-13
10 - Chapter 6 part 1, pp. 1-12
11 - Chapter 6 part 2, pp. 13-25
12 - Chapter 7 part 1, pp. 1-11
13 - Chapter 7 part 2, pp. 12-22
14 - Chapter 7 part 3, pp. 23-32
15 - Chapter 8 pp. 1-6

Also, please remember to check this thread frequently for updates!

[*]AFTER recording:
Need noise-cleaning?
Listen to your file through headphones. If you can hear some constant background noise (hiss/buzz), you may want to clean it up a bit. The new (free) version 1.3.3. of Audacity (Mac/Win) has much improved noise-cleaning. See this LibriVox wiki page for a complete guide.

Save files as
128 kbps MP3
titleinoneword_##_authorsurname.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is your section number. (e.g. titleinoneword_01_authorsurname.mp3)

ID3 V2 tags
(To find out more about ID3 tags, go to our wiki: http://librivox.org/wiki/moin.cgi/WhatIsID3)
Add the following tags to your .mp3 file (how you do this depends on which software you use – if you are unsure about ID3 tags, send me a message). Please mind upper and lower case!

Title: ## - [Section title]
Artist: Author name
Album: Book title

Please ignore tags for Genre and Track Number - these will be filled in automatically at the cataloguing stage.

Transfer of files (completed recordings)
Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file.
Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
  • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader (when your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread):
    http://upload.librivox.org
    (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
    You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: lz - lezer
  • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.
[/list]

Readers, please edit your recordings for word-perfect recording.

Also, feel free to read and include any footnotes or endnotes you believe will be helpful. Otherwise, please do not read them.

Any questions?
Please post below or PM me.
Last edited by stinssd on November 9th, 2008, 11:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Samuel Stinson

"And furthermore, my son, be admonished: of making many books there is no end; and much study is a weariness of the flesh." (Ecclesiastes 12:12, ASV)

"My tongue is the pen of a ready writer." (Psalms 45:1, ASV)
lezer

Post by lezer »

Hi Sam,
I'll get it set up in the database this evening (European time) so that we can get this started!
Anna

EDIT: OK, all set Sam! You can play around with filling in the magic window if you like, now - let me know if you have any questions!
stinssd

Post by stinssd »

This project is still open and needs readers. :-) It's an interesting study and well-written.
Samuel Stinson

"And furthermore, my son, be admonished: of making many books there is no end; and much study is a weariness of the flesh." (Ecclesiastes 12:12, ASV)

Cori

Post by Cori »

Any chance you could put word counts in for each section..? That really helps people to decide how much to sign up for.
There's honestly no such thing as a stupid question -- but I'm afraid I can't rule out giving a stupid answer : : To Posterity and Beyond!
daveanton

Post by daveanton »

i would like to CLAIM :

+ SECTION 12 12 - Chapter 7 part 1, pp. 1-11

thanks!

.dave.anton.
stinssd

Post by stinssd »

Thanks Dave, I've got you in.
Samuel Stinson

stinssd

Post by stinssd »

Who else would like to volunteer to read a portion? I've been studying the topic of gambling and this report suggests a type of moratorium on the practice in order to judge the effect it has. When gambling rises, crime rises. When gambling rises in one location, it has a noticeable influence in other locations. Not only is this study a good, entertaining read, it is also informative. It may help in your own study of the topic.
Samuel Stinson

musil

Post by musil »

I claim chapter 2. How would you like me to handle the figures on p. 2?

Eugene Smith
stinssd

Post by stinssd »

musil wrote:I claim chapter 2. How would you like me to handle the figures on p. 2?

Eugene Smith
Eugene,

If you'd like, you may read them as:

Figure two dash one: Per capita lottery sales in states with lotteries: 1973 versus 1997: 1973, 35 billion dollars per year; 1997, 150 billion dollars per year:

Figure two dash two: Increase in tribal gambling revenues: 1988 versus 1997: 1988, 212 million dollars per year; 1997, 6.7 billion dollars per year.

If you believe the illustrations to be helpful, please consider reading them.

Regards,

Sam
Samuel Stinson

musil

Post by musil »

I claim chapter 2, part 2. In fact I've nearly finished reading both parts.

Eugene
stinssd

Post by stinssd »

musil wrote:I claim chapter 2, part 2. In fact I've nearly finished reading both parts.

Eugene
Very good. I've got you down. :-)

Sam
Samuel Stinson

musil

Post by musil »

Sam -

Would it be awkward for you if I were to submit chapter 2 as a single file rather than dividing it into two parts, as you specified?

Also, when I use the Librivox uploader, it does not give me a URL. Will you be able to find it from the filename after I tell you I've uploaded?

Eugene
stinssd

Post by stinssd »

musil wrote:Sam -

Would it be awkward for you if I were to submit chapter 2 as a single file rather than dividing it into two parts, as you specified?

Also, when I use the Librivox uploader, it does not give me a URL. Will you be able to find it from the filename after I tell you I've uploaded?

Eugene
Eugene,

We can condense the sections down to permit this, so it should be okay.

As far as being able to find the file, Lezer should be able to tell us. You may need to upload it again with another browser--Which web browser did you use to connect to the uploader?

Sam
Samuel Stinson

musil

Post by musil »

i don't think the browswer is responsible for I use Firefox but I don't think the browswer causes the malfunction of the Librivox uploader. I had been using Mediafire to upload, but other Librivox volunteers said they could find my uploaded files just by knowing the filename. I'll do it any way you wish.
stinssd

Post by stinssd »

musil wrote:i don't think the browswer is responsible for I use Firefox but I don't think the browswer causes the malfunction of the Librivox uploader. I had been using Mediafire to upload, but other Librivox volunteers said they could find my uploaded files just by knowing the filename. I'll do it any way you wish.
If you would, would you try uploading again to see if it gives you a url this try? I would suggest using MSIE and http://upload.librivox.org/ as the direct link. :-)

Sam
Samuel Stinson