fanmail: mark smith

Comments about LibriVox? Suggestions to improve things? News?
russiandoll

Post by russiandoll »

Ohhhhh. Yes. It must be quite hard to keep cows in a U-boat.

Reminds me of 'the old parlour game Hitler’s Dairy in which players try to increase their sales of Gold Top by annexing the Sudetenland.'

(RIP Humph) And that is a British reference. EDIT: but here's a link for him.
English is the lingua franca par excellence
PaulW

Post by PaulW »

However, it could be appropriate for the commander of one of the WWII "milch cow" supply U-boats....

Haven't listened to this one yet, but it's been downloaded and is high on my list of "to listen for pleasure not proofing" books.
Paul
[b]DPL: [url=http://librivox.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=12852]Brigands of the Moon[/url]; [url=http://librivox.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=13151]Brain Twister[/url][/b]
lcapelle

Post by lcapelle »

I also have only recently discovered audio books. I have enjoyed the few I have listened to a great deal, but The Man in The Iron Mask read by Mark Smith was truly exceptional. Thank you so much for making this possible. I will always associate moving to Canada with listening to this book and I will always be grateful for the pleasure it gave me at this time.
ximines

Post by ximines »

Now in my 70's, one of the first books I read as an adolescent was "Tarzan of the Apes" I am now listening to Mark Smith's excellent reading, and I realise that this book was no doubt one that gave me such a passion for reading, ( in a home with no books), and subsequently to a reasonable successful life based on a very wide knowledge.

It is indeed somewhat emotional to "re-read" this, and so excellently read by Mark.

Thanks to ALL at Librivox for such an excellent concept.
gpiccola

Post by gpiccola »

Just my thanks to Mark for his great reading. Stellar!
anknight

Post by anknight »

Over the past two years, our family has enjoyed listening to audio books as we travel, and our favorite Librivox reader is most certainly Mark Smith (of Simpsonville, SC - or Virginia now?). We have listened to Tarzan, Swiss Family Robinson and Huck Finn - we just finished Peter Pan this evening, and Mark Smith's two chapters were our favorites. My husband and I - with our fifth grade twin daughters - have received so much enjoyment from these books that we wanted to give an official "thank you!!" to you. ...and we promise to keep listening, even when we no longer hear the familiar "of Simpsonville, South Carolina" at each chapter's introduction. :)
richcamlin

Post by richcamlin »

Mark,
I have been a fan of audiobooks in general; and LibraVox specifically for many years. I tend to focus on non fiction/history, but am a huge fan of literary classics. Jules Verne remains my all-time favorite author. I've considered from time to time volunteering to read but never quite follow through. I've published a few minor pieces and have belonged to a few writing groups. To get to the point, which is a departure from my usual pattern of obfuscation (see what I mean?)

Mark, as readers go my friend, you are one [if not the] best I've ever had the sheer pleasure of listening to. You bring Vern's stories to life. As a chronologically-challenged individual [81-yrs] I fondly recall radio broadcasts (Sky King, Sherlock Holmes, The Whistler, Dragnet . . .) that offered the listener the opportunity to visualize the action and the characters. I have yet to find another medium (TV, movies, social media . . .) that offers the same challenge to fill in the details with one's own imagination. Your normal timber, dialect inflections, presentation of multiple characters each with their own voice . . . are [literally] unsurpassed. Currently I've just left the crew from "Round the Moon" safely on Terra Firma and have moved ahead to "From the Earth to the Moon", rejecting the original LibraVox version with an unfamiliar voice and happily hearing the familiar "Reading by Mark Smith, from Simpsonville South Carolina"

Can't say I didn't warn you I don't seem to be able to eschew obfuscation. I am hopeful you get to read this tome and I would be deliriously happy to hear back from you.
Cordially,
rich camlin