Books in Russian language ...any interest?

Get to know your fellow readers and tell us a little about yourself
irina&irina

Post by irina&irina »

Can i join you guys? ... would like to try...what about Russian books? Any interest? Would love to do in English but my accent perhaps is too strong...unless somebody will be looking for English books with Russian accent :-)
Well, my questions I guess is how to proceed...
Irina :)
kayray

Post by kayray »

Hi Irina,

First of all, you're welcome to join us in reading ANY of our books or poems. We like accents from all around the world, so feel free to join in wherever you feel comfortable.

After you've done a couple of recordings for us, and you feel comfortable with our system, you're more than welcome to start a project for any public-domain book in Russian! (Must have been published in the US before 1923) We might not have a lot of readers who can handle Russian right now, but I'm sure they'll find us eventually :)

Let us know if you have any questions about how to get started, or anything!

Happy reading,
Kara
Kara
http://kayray.org/
--------
"Mary wished to say something very sensible into her Zoom H2 Handy Recorder, but knew not how." -- Jane Austen (& Kara)
vee

Post by vee »

Hi Irina. I don't think anyone's asked about Russian books before, but as long as their Public Domain I don't see why not. You might have a hard time finding other readers, but we've got a number of languages already.

Someone did mention that they might need help with reading War and Peace.

Welcome aboard. If you have other questions, I'm sure someone will chime in.

Chris
Chris Vee
"You never truly understand something until you can explain it to your grandmother." - Albert Einstein
raynr

Post by raynr »

hello irina,

welcome to LibriVox!
Books in other languages are always welcome, We have at the moment some books in Finnish and German and even Latin. Projects in Italian, Spanish and other Languages are on the way. Nevertheless, we don't mind accents. If you're willing to contribute in English, you are very welcome. Especially for "War and Peace" ( http://librivox.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1354 ), a project we started yesterday, a Russian accent would be more than welcome (for obvious reasons). It also has short chapters. Therefore it's something easy to begin with and you can learn how to start recording.

Take a look at this page about recording http://librivox.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=702

But if you feel unsure about recording in English, you are welcome to contribute a Russian work. The more languages, the better. The best thing is to start with a short work or a poem.

Once again, welcome to Librivox.

Rainer
"Everything in the world exists in order to end in a book." (Stéphane Mallarmé)
raynr

Post by raynr »

Oh my god, it's difficult to be the first to answer :D .

I tried to learn Russian, but I wasn't very successful (I now know how it must be for Americans to learn German), butI would be delighted to hear a recorded work in Russian.
Gesine

Post by Gesine »

Oh yes, a Russian recording would be very cool. Perhaps there's something on here that you fancy? These are the Russian texts on Project Gutenberg (public domain in the US, which is what we need here at LibriVox to remain 'legal').

You may also want to check out the languages section in our FAQ.

Any help you need, just ask! :)
"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein
irina&irina

Post by irina&irina »

Thanks to everybody for the welcoming messages...
I did check a Guttenberg Project on Russian Language and they have only 3(!) books, however the Project Gutenberg Europe has a lot to choose from...I assume PGE is OK to use???
Meanwhile I should do my reading in English first as I understood correctly...
Rainer, can I sigh up for the chapter 8 in War and Peace? How are you doing with ch. 1, struggling? Endless dialologs :-( btw in original, half of it in French :-)
Did I say - I just LOVE the whole idea of free audio books...
Irina
kri

Post by kri »

irina&irina wrote:Rainer, can I sigh up for the chapter 8 in War and Peace?
I'd suggest you scoot over to the War and Peace thread so Rainer can see your request better :)
raynr

Post by raynr »

My all-spotting eye is everywhere :wink:

I will quote you in the "War and Peace" thread, take a look there. The dialogues in the translation are in English, so you don't have to struggle with two foreign languages. I'm glad for that (my German translation at home kept the french dialogues).

Basically you can record any book which was published before 1923 (that's US-copyright law). I took a look at Project Gutenberg Europe. If you want to record a translation (e.g. Aristoteles) in Russian, make sure that the translation was also published before 1923. But there are enough great Russian writers I would love to hear.
kayray

Post by kayray »

Perhaps there is some public-domain Russian poetry that could be included in one of our poetry collections?

Although I speak no Russian (unless "nyet" counts) I'd love to hear some Russian recordings!

And I am really looking forward to hearing that Russian accent in some of our English books, Irina :)

Kara
Kara
--------
"Mary wished to say something very sensible into her Zoom H2 Handy Recorder, but knew not how." -- Jane Austen (& Kara)
temac

Post by temac »

kayray wrote:I speak no Russian (unless "nyet" counts)
Kara, you could learn "da" and double your vocabulary... :)

Ted
kayray

Post by kayray »

temac wrote:
kayray wrote:I speak no Russian (unless "nyet" counts)
Kara, you could learn "da" and double your vocabulary... :)

Ted
Oh yes, and borscht! That's three!
Kara
--------
hugh
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by hugh »

me too!
irina&irina

Post by irina&irina »

well, i see a lots of interests in Russian culture already :)
should my first reading to be a "borscht resepie" project?
on a serious note - there is something called www.lib.ru, an open library for Russian and other translated into Russian languages - seems to be a public domain , at least it says "suported by the departmen of media and publication"...it has tons of great poetry, prose etc...
although legal standarts can be different there and here I don't see why we can not use some texts from that website ...
Please advise if otherwise
Iriina
raynr

Post by raynr »

Hello Irina,
you can centainly use this website as a source, if something is not on gutenberg.org. Nevertheless, the librivox-servers are hosted in the US, and we therefore have to follow US-copyright law. That basically means, all books must be published before 1923. Most English books in the public domain are on gutenberg.org, therefore it's a great resource, but we had also recordings from different sources. If you would like to read a certain book, you can always post it and we try to check the legal issues.

But - War and Peace is a long book.... :wink: