COMPLETE: Theory of Moral Sentiments by Adam Smith - jo

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by knotyouraveragejo »

That sounds like an excellent idea to me Jennifer, but we will need to wait and see if ettelocin has heard from this reader recently or not.
Jo
ettelocin

Post by ettelocin »

I wrote the below without seeing the other recent posts - for some reason i don't always get notified of posts.

I had given the original sec. 18 reader a week to respond to me (last week) but did not hear back. So JW, I will sign you up for it instead! Thanks so much. :)

Hello all,

I've just re-opened section 18 if anyone wants to claim it. I had no response from the person originally signed up for it.

Does this mean we move back to "readers wanted"?
wendeltopper

Post by wendeltopper »

Hello all. New here and not sure if I need to ask permission to PL, the wiki says just go ahead, so I did. I PL'd section 30 and the only issue I found was a 6 second pause in the very beginning 00:00 - 00:06. Other than that, it sounded great to me. I can edit it also, if wanted, but not sure about librivox etiquette. Would that be stepping on toes?
ettelocin

Post by ettelocin »

hi wendeltopper,

welcome to librivox, and thanks so much for the PL! I've updated the magic window with your note. i bet JenniferW would be grateful for the help in editing, she has a lot on her hands with this project.

unless you object, JW, i say go ahead, and thanks!

thanks again,
nikki
wendeltopper wrote:Hello all. New here and not sure if I need to ask permission to PL, the wiki says just go ahead, so I did. I PL'd section 30 and the only issue I found was a 6 second pause in the very beginning 00:00 - 00:06. Other than that, it sounded great to me. I can edit it also, if wanted, but not sure about librivox etiquette. Would that be stepping on toes?
wendeltopper

Post by wendeltopper »

Should I upload the edited file with the exact same file name as before, or should I change it in some way?
ettelocin

Post by ettelocin »

same filename is perfect.

thanks! :)
wendeltopper wrote:Should I upload the edited file with the exact same file name as before, or should I change it in some way?
wendeltopper

Post by wendeltopper »

Is 'jo' 'knotyouaveragejo' the MC?
ettelocin

Post by ettelocin »

yup :)
wendeltopper wrote:Is 'jo' 'knotyouaveragejo' the MC?
wendeltopper

Post by wendeltopper »

Section 30 edited and uploaded.
http://upload.librivox.org/share/uploads/jo/theoryofmoralsentiments_30_smith.mp3
Duration 16:34
Should be good to go! That was fun! Can I do 31 also?
ettelocin

Post by ettelocin »

great! thanks!!!

glad it was fun :) go for it (re: sec 31).
wendeltopper wrote:Section 30 edited and uploaded.
http://upload.librivox.org/share/uploads/jo/theoryofmoralsentiments_30_smith.mp3
Duration 16:34
Should be good to go! That was fun! Can I do 31 also?
wendeltopper

Post by wendeltopper »

Section 31 - The only issues were a 6 sec pause in the beginning and 13 secs in the end. I edited out the pause in the beginning and truncated the pause at the end to 10 secs

PL'd, Edited, and Uploaded
http://upload.librivox.org/share/uploads/jo/theoryofmoralsentiments_31_smith.mp3
Duration 28:58
ettelocin

Post by ettelocin »

you're amazing!! thank you so much. magic window updated.
wendeltopper wrote:Section 31 - The only issues were a 6 sec pause in the beginning and 13 secs in the end. I edited out the pause in the beginning and truncated the pause at the end to 10 secs

PL'd, Edited, and Uploaded
http://upload.librivox.org/share/uploads/jo/theoryofmoralsentiments_31_smith.mp3
Duration 28:58
wendeltopper

Post by wendeltopper »

ettelocin wrote:you're amazing!! thank you so much. magic window updated.
Flattery will get you nowhere! :D It was my pleasure! I don't suppose I can edit any more of these sections? I think they all need the speaker.
ettelocin

Post by ettelocin »

haha :)

yes, it seems so (that they all need the reader). thanks again :) :)
wendeltopper wrote:
ettelocin wrote:you're amazing!! thank you so much. magic window updated.
Flattery will get you nowhere! :D It was my pleasure! I don't suppose I can edit any more of these sections? I think they all need the speaker.
knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by knotyouraveragejo »

Nikki,

Since arisha hasn't been on the forums since Dec 2008, I've done what I can with regard to the edits noted for her files.
tankboy wrote:Section 16 The Theory of the Moral Sentiments Part III Chap III.
Intro correct, closing incomplete. Volume variable and, in the first half particularly, there is frequent, distracting microphone noise.
There are also the following minor errors:
07:06
it is not that feeble spark of benevolence
it is not that feeble spirit of benevolence
15:05
can produce only anxiety to ourselves,
can produce only anxiety in ourselves,
25:11
the most sincere commiseration in the spectator.[eight second gap] Though, in the present state of society, this
I've removed the gap at 25:11. The other two are minor and close enough in my opinion. Added 10 s end silence. The volume and background noise that tankboy has commented on is a little distracting in places but overall it's acceptable and the only way to fix it would be to have these sections rerecorded, so I think we should just go with these as is.
tankboy wrote:Section 17 The Theory of the Moral Sentiments Part III Chap III. cont'
Intro and closing correct. Volume variable and there is frequent, distracting microphone noise, including a strange grating sound.
There is also the following error:
23:48
What may be called the laws of faction have often been laid down
What may be called the laws of faction have always been laid down
replaced 'always' with 'often' from another spot in the recording. Again I think we can live with the background noise.
tankboy wrote:Section 22 The Theory of the Moral Sentiments Part IV Chap II.
Stumble/correction at 12:50, text "The man who gives up his pretensions to an office"
Edited out this stumble.

I've marked all three of these as OK to catalog in the MW.

Can you please post the edits needed for sections 9, 12, 24 and 27 that you've noted were sent by PM?

Thanks,
Jo

ETA: BTW the site for your text link is currently offline. I used this one instead:

http://www.econlib.org/library/Smith/smMS.html
Jo