COMPLETE: Aesop's Fables, Volume 5 (Fables 101-125) - SW/ll

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
ChipDoc

Post by ChipDoc »

All recordings can now be found on our catalog page: http://librivox.org/aesops-fables-volume-5-fables-101-125/

Aesop's Fables, Volume 5 (Fables 101-125)

OK, we're going to try something a little different this week. These Fables are very popular, and folks love to sign up for them. What's more, they're all SHORT - even a new reader can go from signup to sending the completed file in less than an hour. Experienced readers can literally do these in less than ten minutes. But real life often intrudes upon the best intentions, and sometimes these Fables go unread for extended periods.

So sign up for as many of these as you like, but only sign up for those which you're intending to read NOW. If I haven't received the file by the morning of the second day after I acknowledge your request for a Fable, that fable will again become available for readers to choose.

In order to make this easier, each Fable now has its own hotlink so you can just click on the Fable name and see the text of the Fable itself without having to download all 284 of them from Gutenberg. That way you can see what you're signing up for right off the bat - and even have it there in front of you to read then and there. They're tiny text files so they should pop up essentially instantly, even over a modem line. You may of course also download the complete text from Gutenberg.

Let me know what you think. We can adjust this plan in whatever fashion seems appropriate.

I thought that the idea of doing Aesop's Fables was charming, but was daunted by the fact that there are 284 of the things. Thanks to Annie for the elegant solution of breaking them up into Volumes of 25 Fables each. That'll allow us to read each Fable as an individual chapter. It'll make for short readings, which should prove a comfortable way for new folks to get their feet wet in the strange new format of reading aloud into your computer. A nice side benefit is that even folks with modem lines should be able to upload these without too much trouble. Most are less than 2 minutes long. Feel free to take a bunch of them!

Target completion date: February 18, 2006
Project Gutenberg e-text: http://www.gutenberg.org/files/11339/11339-8.txt

AESOP'S FABLES Volume 5 (Fables 101-125)

05-01 THE MAN AND THE IMAGE <temac> *DONE*
05-02 HERCULES AND THE WAGGONER <dunkelberg> *DONE*
05-03 THE POMEGRANATE, THE APPLE-TREE, AND THE BRAMBLE <dunkelberg> *DONE*
05-04 THE LION, THE BEAR, AND THE FOX <dunkelberg> *DONE*
05-05 THE BLACKAMOOR <dunkelberg> *DONE*
05-06 THE TWO SOLDIERS AND THE ROBBER <dunkelberg> *DONE*
05-07 THE LION AND THE WILD ASS <dunkelberg> *DONE*
05-08 THE MAN AND THE SATYR <dunkelberg> *DONE*
05-09 THE IMAGE-SELLER <dunkelberg> *DONE*
05-10 THE EAGLE AND THE ARROW <dunkelberg> *DONE*
05-11 THE RICH MAN AND THE TANNER <dunkelberg> *DONE*
05-12 THE WOLF, THE MOTHER, AND HER CHILD <VickiB> *DONE*
05-13 THE OLD WOMAN AND THE WINE-JAR <VickiB> *DONE*
05-14 THE LIONESS AND THE VIXEN <adelinfdm> *DONE*
05-15 THE VIPER AND THE FILE <adelinfdm> *DONE*
05-16 THE CAT AND THE COCK <adelinfdm> *DONE*
05-17 THE HARE AND THE TORTOISE <Henry> *DONE*
05-18 THE SOLDIER AND HIS HORSE <dunkelberg> *DONE*
05-19 THE OXEN AND THE BUTCHERS <dunkelberg> *DONE*
05-20 THE WOLF AND THE LION <dunkelberg> *DONE*
05-21 THE SHEEP, THE WOLF, AND THE STAG <adelinfdm> *DONE*
05-22 THE LION AND THE THREE BULLS <adelinfdm> *DONE*
05-23 THE HORSE AND HIS RIDER<dunkelberg> *DONE*
05-24 THE GOAT AND THE VINE <dunkelberg> *DONE*
05-25 THE TWO POTS <adelinfdm> *DONE*

There are no numbers in the Gutenberg text, so if you choose to download from there, please search for your fable by name.

File Name Format
Please use Volume and Fable number to distinguish between the fables. For instance, THE RICH MAN AND THE TANNER would be
fables_05_11_aesop.mp3

ID3 Tag Formats:
Title/Name: The Rich Man and The Tanner
Artist: Aesop
Album: Aesop's Fables Volume 5

File Format:
Stereo, 128kpbs, MP3

You may either post a link to your completed files here in the forum or email them to me by clicking this link:
http://www.yousendit.com/?recipient=Chip@ChipDoc.com

If you use YouSendIt.com, please ALSO post the yousendit link here in the forum.

These things are so short that they should easily fit in a mail attachment too, so if you like you can just send them to me at Chip@ChipDoc.com If you do this, PLEASE include the word "LibriVox" in the Subject Line so I don't simply mass-delete them with the hundred spam messages I get each day... sigh.

Please include the following with your file:
- Your name as you would like it to appear on the catalog page
- URL of your homepage if you have one you would like linked to your name on the catalog page

If this is your first recording, you'll also find this useful:
http://librivox.org/about-recording/

The following information should be included within the recordings:

INTRO

"This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: LibriVox.org"

If you wish, say: "Recorded by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"

Say: "Aesop's Fables, [title of fable]"

END OF RECORDING
Please say "end of [title]" and leave a few seconds of silence.

Pease remember to check this thread often for updates!
Last edited by ChipDoc on February 13th, 2006, 12:01 pm, edited 9 times in total.
-Chip
Retired to Colorado
The man who does not read good books has no advantage over the man who cannot read them.
~Mark Twain
adelinfdm

Post by adelinfdm »

I'd like to record the following fables for volume 5.

05-14 THE LIONESS AND THE VIXEN
05-15 THE VIPER AND THE FILE
05-16 THE CAT AND THE COCK
05-21 THE SHEEP, THE WOLF, AND THE STAG
05-22 THE LION AND THE THREE BULLS
05-25 THE TWO POTS
LibraryLady

Post by LibraryLady »

Nice idea, Chip, this way we can keep fables available for new readers to practice on while still getting them finished so you don't have to keep track of too many projects at once.

EDIT to add: Wow, that must have been a lot of work to create text files for each fable like that but it sure makes things easier on readers! Thanks Chip.
Annie Coleman Rothenberg
http://www.anniecoleman.com/

"I hear the sound I love, the sound of the human voice." ~Whitman
ChipDoc

Post by ChipDoc »

You've got them, adelinfdm! Remember that any that I haven't received by Monday morning are going to become free again. But you've really only got a couple of hours of reading and editing there, so I'm looking forward to hearing your voice on all of them!

05-14 THE LIONESS AND THE VIXEN <adelinfdm>
05-15 THE VIPER AND THE FILE <adelinfdm>
05-16 THE CAT AND THE COCK <adelinfdm>
05-21 THE SHEEP, THE WOLF, AND THE STAG <adelinfdm>
05-22 THE LION AND THE THREE BULLS <adelinfdm>
05-25 THE TWO POTS <adelinfdm>
-Chip
Retired to Colorado
The man who does not read good books has no advantage over the man who cannot read them.
~Mark Twain
ChipDoc

Post by ChipDoc »

LibraryLady wrote:Wow, that must have been a lot of work to create text files for each fable like that but it sure makes things easier on readers!
It was a little tedious, but it wasn't really difficult. And I figured it'd improve the workflow considerably too. After all, if you can just click on the Fable title and have the text pop right up there, it makes it a lot easier to actually DO the recording in five minutes. In things this short, most of the work is in the preparation and I figured this would cut down considerably on the prep time.

I just hope folks find it useful...
-Chip
Retired to Colorado
~Mark Twain
kri

Post by kri »

Chip I'm amazed. This is a great way to manage the fables, and I think it will make the process smoother and quicker.

I'll pass on taking a fable this time, until I can absolutely avoid it no longer. They're so fun! However, I really want to do my best to share so...
temac

Post by temac »

OK, I'll take #1, The Man and the Image. This'll be my first try, so feel free to toss it and give it to somebody else. I'm still fooling around trying to get familiar with Audacity. Wish me luck...
VickiB

Post by VickiB »

I agree that your idea to link to the particular fable was a stroke of brilliance! I'll take on a couple.

05-12 THE WOLF, THE MOTHER, AND HER CHILD
05-13 THE OLD WOMAN AND THE WINE-JAR
kri

Post by kri »

kri wrote:Chip I'm amazed. This is a great way to manage the fables, and I think it will make the process smoother and quicker.

I'll pass on taking a fable this time, until I can absolutely avoid it no longer. They're so fun! However, I really want to do my best to share so...

I lied, I lied!!

05-01 THE MAN AND THE IMAGE if you please.

Forgive me, for I have little self control.
ChipDoc

Post by ChipDoc »

temac wrote:OK, I'll take #1, The Man and the Image. This'll be my first try, so feel free to toss it and give it to somebody else. I'm still fooling around trying to get familiar with Audacity. Wish me luck...
Welcome to LibriVox, temac!

05-01 THE MAN AND THE IMAGE <temac>

These things are excellent for first-timers; they're short and easy to read. If you're still learning Audacity, it's a lot easier to learn on a piece which takes 52 seconds to read than with one where you sweat over it for an hour or more. Keep the mic slightly above and to the side of your lips - about an inch away. It'll let you use your normal speaking voice, while letting the recording be nice and loud.

If you have any questions, just ask. It's great to have you aboard, temac - it's always good to hear a fresh voice in the mix!
-Chip
Retired to Colorado
~Mark Twain
ChipDoc

Post by ChipDoc »

Thanks for the kind words, VickiB! Here you go:

05-12 THE WOLF, THE MOTHER, AND HER CHILD <VickiB>
05-13 THE OLD WOMAN AND THE WINE-JAR <VickiB>
-Chip
Retired to Colorado
~Mark Twain
ChipDoc

Post by ChipDoc »

kri wrote:Forgive me, for I have little self control.
Of course we forgive you, kri! But you should have asked just a smidge earlier...

temac Posted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 5:19 pm
kri Posted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 6:42 pm

Ya snooze, ya lose... :cry:

Pick another - there are plenty of good ones there!
-Chip
Retired to Colorado
~Mark Twain
dunkelberg

Post by dunkelberg »

How about -
05-02 HERCULES AND THE WAGGONER
05-03 THE POMEGRANATE, THE APPLE-TREE, AND THE BRAMBLE
05-04 THE LION, THE BEAR, AND THE FOX
05-05 THE BLACKAMOOR
05-06 THE TWO SOLDIERS AND THE ROBBER

by Monday 13:00 GMT

:lol:
Lee
www.culinarycowboy.com
ChipDoc

Post by ChipDoc »

They're yours, dunkelberg - thanks!

05-02 HERCULES AND THE WAGGONER <dunkelberg>
05-03 THE POMEGRANATE, THE APPLE-TREE, AND THE BRAMBLE <dunkelberg>
05-04 THE LION, THE BEAR, AND THE FOX <dunkelberg>
05-05 THE BLACKAMOOR <dunkelberg>
05-06 THE TWO SOLDIERS AND THE ROBBER <dunkelberg>
-Chip
Retired to Colorado
~Mark Twain
kri

Post by kri »

ChipDoc wrote:
kri wrote:Forgive me, for I have little self control.
Of course we forgive you, kri! But you should have asked just a smidge earlier...

temac Posted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 5:19 pm
kri Posted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 6:42 pm

Ya snooze, ya lose... :cry:

Pick another - there are plenty of good ones there!
Bah, I totally should have been paying attention. I'll pass for now.