COMPLETE-[CHINESE] 聊斋志异 (Liaozhai Zhiyi) Selection..

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
earthcalling

Post by earthcalling »

This project is complete. All the files can be downloaded from our catalogue: http://librivox.org/liaozhai-zhiyi-by-pu-songling-0906/ .

聊斋志异, 蒲松龄著.

《聊斋志异》,清代短篇小说集,是蒲松龄的代表作,在他40岁左右时基本完成,此后不断有所增补和修改。“聊斋”是他的书屋名称,“志”是记述的意思, “异”指奇异的故事。全书有短篇小说491篇,内容十分广泛,多谈狐、魔、花、妖,以此来概括当时的社会关系,反映了17世纪中国的社会面貌。书中写的是一个花妖鬼狐的世界,既有对如漆墨黑的社会现实的不满,又有对怀才不遇、仕途难攀的不平;既有对贪宫污吏狼狈为奸的鞭笞,又有对勇于反抗,敢于复仇的平民的称赞;而数量最多、质量上乘、写得最美最动人的是那些人与狐妖、人与鬼神以及人与人之间的纯真爱情的篇章。 (来自百度百科)

(Summary from Baike.baidu.com)
  1. How to claim a part, and 'how it all works' here
    To find a section to record, simply look at point 5. below at the sections. All the ones without names beside them are “up for grabs.” Click "Post reply" at the top left of the screen and tell us which section you’d like to read (include the section number from the left-most column in the reader list, please). Read points 6. to 8. below for what to do before, during and after your recording.
  2. New to recording?
    Please read our Newbie Guide to Recording!
  3. Is there a deadline?
    Target completion date of this project: nominally by the end of 2008, but try to send your recordings as soon as you can. If you cannot do your section, for whatever reason, just let me know and it’ll go back to the pool. There’s no shame in this; we’re all volunteers and things happen.
  4. Where do I find the text?
    Source texts in Chinese and English (please only read from these texts!):
    http://www.mypcera.com/book/gu/gu/lzzy/index.html
  5. Please claim sections (the numbers in the first column below)!
    If this is your first recording, please let me know under which name or pseudonym you'd like to appear in the LibriVox catalogue. We can also link to a personal website/blog.

Magic Window:

BC Admin
    [
  6. BEFORE recording:
    Please check the Recording Notes:
    http://librivox.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6427#6430

Set your recording software to:
    Bit Rate: 128 kbps
    Sample Rate: 44.1 kHz
    Mono
  7. DURING recording:
    Make sure you add this to the beginning and end of your recording:
    Start of recording (Intro)
    • "聊斋志异,第 [x] 篇. - 這是[名字]為 LibriVox 點 org 所提供的錄音。LibriVox 的錄音都是公眾所有的."
    • Say:
      "聊斋自志, 蒲松龄著,第 [x] 篇,[story title]"

End of recording
    • At the end of the section, say:
      [story title] 完"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
      "聊斋自志, 蒲松龄著,完毕"

Please leave 5 seconds silence at the end of your recording, or 10 seconds for files longer than 30 minutes!

Also, please remember to check this thread frequently for updates!
  8. AFTER recording:
    Need noise-cleaning?
    Listen to your file through headphones. If you can hear some constant background noise (hiss/buzz), you may want to clean it up a bit. The new (free) version 1.3.3. of Audacity (Mac/Win) has much improved noise-cleaning. See this LibriVox wiki page for a complete guide.

Save files as
    128 kbps MP3
    liaozhai_##_pusongling_*.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is your section number in two digits, and * is the language of the recording c for Cantonese or m for Mandarin. (e.g. liaozhai_01_pusongling_c.mp3 for the Cantonese recording of story number 1)

ID3 V2 tags
    (To find out more about ID3 tags, go to our wiki: http://librivox.org/wiki/moin.cgi/WhatIsID3)
    Add the following tags to your .mp3 file (how you do this depends on which software you use – if you are unsure about ID3 tags, send me a message). Please mind upper and lower case!

Title: ## - [Story title] - [Cantonese or Mandarin]
    Artist: Pu Songling
    Album: Liaozhai Zhiyi

Please ignore tags for Genre and Track Number - these will be filled in automatically at the cataloguing stage.

Transfer of files (completed recordings)
    Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file.
    Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
    • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader (when your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread):
      http://upload.librivox.org
      (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
      You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: ec - earthcalling
    • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.

Any questions?
Please post below or PM me. :)
Last edited by earthcalling on April 18th, 2009, 10:33 am, edited 5 times in total.
Cori

Post by Cori »

I don't want to sound over-critical, because this looks like a wonderful idea -- but in practical terms, wouldn't this be better split into three volumes, one for each language..? Or even six, each language in two sections..?

There's a very small number of people who want to listen to each story in three languages before moving onto the next. That makes the enormous zip file useless to most listeners, and they'll have to download individual stories. The sheer numbers mean that picking out the stories that are wanted will take ages! Most people will just want to listen to the language they are most familar with, or that they want to learn. Certainly, having all three translations available is an amazing idea (like with Aesop's Fables which we have in several languages) -- but NOT all stored in the same project!

Not to mention that it'll take many months to complete -- I'd think end of 2009 is a more realistic deadline, based on what I've seen in other collaboratives, and given that people will want to work on other books / solos as well as this one. This is why many long books here are split into volumes, because once Volume 1 is complete, it often attracts listeners and readers to Vol. 2, and so on.
There's honestly no such thing as a stupid question -- but I'm afraid I can't rule out giving a stupid answer : : To Posterity and Beyond!
chocoholic
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by chocoholic »

I agree with Cori. It's a terrific idea but I think it would be more logical (and logistically much easier for listeners and coordinators) to have parallel projects, one for each language. Listeners who want to hear the stories in all three languages would have no trouble finding them. 492 sections is just plain mind-boggling. :shock:
Laurie Anne
genecode

Post by genecode »

Wow, that's fast.
I don't mind how you will have this project processed, anyways, I(and my Chinaknots folks) promise will definitely record them.
earthcalling

Post by earthcalling »

I've now converted this to a Chinese-only project, with 40 sections - i.e. 20 stories, each read in Cantonese and Mandarin.

David
genecode

Post by genecode »

David, I've selected the first 20 short stories for our selection vol 1, my Chinese recordings will go first now. You can decide when to start the English ones.

And I will claim 05, 15, 16, 20 in both Mandarin and Cantonese for the time being. Others interested is most welcome to take some stories,too, especially the Mandarin version! (tho I can take care of them all if nobody comes)

The English version is, of course, open to everyone. However, just I want to claim 15,16 & 20 in English for myself as well.They are really my favorite!

I aim to finish the Chinese versions all before mid July.

Table of Contents: in order based on Giles' English translated version, see below:
03.Painted Wall 卷1 畫壁
04. Planting A Pear-Tree 卷1 種梨
05. The Taoist Priest Of Lao-Shan 卷1 嶗山道士
06. The Buddhist Priest Of Ch‘Angch‘Ing 卷1 長清僧
07.Marriage Of The Fox’S Daughter 卷1 狐嫁女
08. Miss Chiao-No 卷1 嬌娜
09. Magical Arts 卷1 妖術
10. Joining The Immortals 卷1 成仙
11. The Fighting Quails 卷1 王成
12. The Painted Skin 卷1 畫皮
13. The Trader’S Son 卷1 賈子
14. Judge Lu 卷2 陸判
15. Miss Ying-Ning, Or The Laughing Girl 卷2 嬰寧
16. The Magic Sword 卷2 聶小倩
17. The Shui-Mang Plant 卷2 水蔓草
18. Little Chu 卷2 珠兒
19. Miss Quarta Hu 卷2 胡四姐
20. Mr. Chu, The Considerate Husband 卷2 祝翁

Post by earthcalling »

Great!

I've put the titles and links to the texts in the 'magic window'... Let me know if you spot any mistakes there...

Looking forward to hearing the first of these recordings!

-- I'll set up the English project over the weekend.

David
genecode

Post by genecode »

Hee hee, here comes the very first recording!
Wc(Chinaknot1) insists taking the Laoshan Taoist in Cantonese...His favorite, he exclaimed. PL's done by me.

Here's the link:
http://upload.librivox.org/share/uploads/ec/liaozhaizhiyi_vol1_10_c_wc.mp3

I'd like to know what you think how I name the file and the ID tags.

Another thing, I am wondering why you set up 40 sections instead of 20? You can only simply set up 20 since there are only 20 stories, can't you? Just like the way you've been working on the Tang Poem collections! You don't bother how many versions one Tang poem has, and that seems working pretty fine for me!
Jc

Post by Jc »

HI, I've put the link in the magic window, but please follow the instructions in the first post as regarding file name and ID3 tags:

Save files as

liaozhai_##_pusongling_*.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is your section number in two digits, and * is the language of the recording c for Cantonese or m for Mandarin. (e.g. liaozhai_01_pusongling_c.mp3 for the Cantonese recording of story number 1)

ID3 V2 tags
Title: ## - [Story title] - [Cantonese or Mandarin]
Artist: Pu Songling
Album: Liaozhai Zhiyi
So the file name should be liaozhai_10_pusongling_c.mp3

and the tags:
TITLE: 10 - [story title] - Cantonese
ALBUM: as shown above

Thanks!
Put yourself in the Readers' Accents Table. See this post.
(Busy real life & traveling, sorry if not here often.)
earthcalling

Post by earthcalling »

The English project is now open, here.

I've assigned to you the stories you asked for, Vivian.

David
earthcalling

Post by earthcalling »

(Thanks Jc!)

Vivian, on your question of sections...

The way we work is that one file is one section. There's a technical and future-proof reason for that, which I needn't bore you with.

Tang Poems is an exception (I think the only exception), because we don't know how many files there will be and how many per poem. When Tang Poems is catalogued, I have to create additional sections, one per file, in what we call the 'compilation table', and enter all the information there for each file. That way, if a listener does a catalogue search for 李白, the search results will include all his poems in all dialects.

David
sunnycn

Post by sunnycn »

Hello,I'm Sunny,I'm a good friend of Vivian.
大家好,我是Sunny,中国重庆人,我是Vivian的朋友!
很高兴认识大家,我现在正在学习英文,希望能向大家学习,跟大家做朋友.
walkerc

Post by walkerc »

Hello everybody!

I'm WalkerC/WC Cantonese.

I'm a good friend of Vivian Chan.

大家好! 我是广州的WC。
我是 Vivian的朋友。

请大家多多指教!
谢谢~!
genecode

Post by genecode »

Thanks for signing up, Sunny and Walker. You two are too sweet, Hugs~~:9:
I am really glad to have you both as Named friends rather than the Numbered Knots!
We've got so many to read, and the Chinese speakers are still very rare here!

Walker has read the very first Liaozhai story in Cantonese for us!
I will ask Sunny to pick up a story in Mandarin to start with soon!

非常感谢Sunny跟Walker的捧场噢,你们真是太可爱了!
这里中文郎读者目前很珍贵的!
Walker帮我读了第一个粤语的故事!
希望Sunny也帮我们读一些普通话的聊斋故事. :D
Last edited by genecode on March 21st, 2008, 7:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
genecode

Post by genecode »

Thanks for agreeing on PL my Mandarin, Jc! Hugs....
Among the first twenty, the "Planting A Pear-Tree 卷1 種梨" and the "Mr. Chu, The Considerate Husband 卷2 祝翁" are the shortest but equally interesting and very beautifully written in Chinese.
The 祝翁 is a wonderfully weird romantic story. It would be great if you take it in Mandarin and I could keep it in Cantonese for myself.
The 種梨 is more like a humorous fable.

Btw, David, I will PL all the stories in both Mandarin and Cantonese in this project apart from those of mine.
Jc agrees to PL my Mandarin and Wc will PL my Cantonese.