Uploader Blues

Post your questions & get help from friendly LibriVoxers
Sailorman

Post by Sailorman »

I tried through mediafire to send the link to: info[AT]librivox.org and was given the message by mediafire that this is an invalid email address though that is what I took from the librivox site.

I there a valid email address to where I can send the link to these files?

Thanks.

Peter
chocoholic
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by chocoholic »

You can just send them to yourself.

You're having a time with this, aren't you, Peter? We'll get it straight eventually.
Laurie Anne
gypsygirl

Post by gypsygirl »

If all else fails, I'll give you the ftp information for my server and we can store the files there until we're ready to catalogue.
Karen S.
Sailorman

Post by Sailorman »

Hi Karen:

Here are the links for the files at mediafire:

File name: dog-watchesatsea_3_king.MP3:
Download link: http://www.mediafire.com/?dxd110jsod0

File name: dog-watchesatsea_5_king.MP3:
Download link: http://www.mediafire.com/?xiea41uioxk

I have described what these are and how they were generated in a post above. I will point out that mediafire treats them as mp3 while the librivox uploader does not.

Thanks.

Peter

P.S. How about a short story for WIRED: "Files From Hell!"
chocoholic
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by chocoholic »

Maybe a silly thought, but I wonder if the uploader doesn't like the capitalized MP3 in the filename. Or the hyphen.
Laurie Anne
Jc

Post by Jc »

there shouldn't be a problem with the hyphen, I'm pretty sure we've used hyphens a-plenty around here.
Maybe someone should check your theory of the caps.
Put yourself in the Readers' Accents Table. See this post.
(Busy real life & traveling, sorry if not here often.)
gypsygirl

Post by gypsygirl »

Yup, that's it! I tried it first as is, and got the same error you'd been having, Peter. Then I renamed the file so the .mp3 was in lower case and it uploaded just fine.
Karen S.
Sailorman

Post by Sailorman »

Yes, Karen, that was the problem, the uploader will not accept upper case for mp3 (and probably other files). I have now been able to load a number of files. I did go in and change all .MP3 extensions to .mp3.

Also, the free SC Audio Converter I have generates upper case .MP3 and seems to have no option within it to generate lower case.

So, it really seems somewhat wondrous that there are Windows "compatible" programs which are generating upper or lower case file extensions which may or may not be acceptable to other Windows "compatible" programs.

I will suggest that if upper case extensions are only cosmetic to the operations of librivox that the uploader be modified to accept them. In time, someone else may have the same problem and it may have to be "solved" all over again.

Failing allowing acceptance of upper case extensions, I would suggest then that the message:
"# .zip, .mp3, .wav, .flac and .txt are the only files types you can upload."
include:
"ALL FILE EXTENSIONS MUST BE IN LOWER CASE".

While on the topic of the uploader, I am wondering if there are any plans to allow Batch Uploading? I know in my case and without high speed internet that would allow me to do a batch of uploads overnight. I imagine others might find this capacity useful. I note mediafire and, I imagine, other volume uploaders, allow Batch Uploads.

Thanks.

Peter

For those interested in techie problems, I found this at one music site:

"Q. What are the restrictions regarding MP3 uploads?
A. You must upload at least 3 MP3 files initially. Those files should be under 5MB and also should have a ".mp3" file extension. Ensure that the ".mp3" file extension is all lower-case. You should also include a descriptive song name in the field provided."

http://www.mp3.tv/emerging/apply/faq.html
Starlite

Post by Starlite »

I am wondering if there are any plans to allow Batch Uploading?
I have never tried this but I wonder if you opened 2 browsers with the uploader, whether it will allow this??

Esther :)
"Reasonable people adapt themselves to the world. Unreasonable
people attempt to adapt the world to themselves. All progress,
therefore, depends on unreasonable people." George Bernard Shaw
Aperi

Post by Aperi »

Not really connected to Sailorman's problem, but I have been having major uploader problems too. If anyone has any advice it would really be helpful, because I have about 6 chapters of various projects completed and edited right now and I can't get any of them to upload!
I have uploaded files with no problem before, but just recently for some reason I can't get the uploader to work for me at all. I can get into it, and then when I select the file and hit "upload file", nothing happens! The bar at the bottom of the window starts to fill up as if the page is loading, then when it gets to the end, it just sticks there and doesn't give me an url. I can't even tell if the file has actually uploaded or not.
Anyone have any ideas? Like I said, I used to be able to uplaod files from this computer just fine, and I am still using the same software (audacity).
Hope someone can help, because otherwise I don't what I'm going to do about these files.
LeonMire

Post by LeonMire »

Starlite wrote:
I am wondering if there are any plans to allow Batch Uploading?
I have never tried this but I wonder if you opened 2 browsers with the uploader, whether it will allow this??

Esther :)
Yes it will. :)
Last edited by LeonMire on March 21st, 2008, 9:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
I remember how, in college, I got that part-time job as a circus clown, and how the children would laugh and laugh at me. I vowed, then and there, that I would get revenge.
-[url=http://www.deepthoughtsbyjackhandey.com/][u]Jack Handey[/u][/url]
LeonMire

Post by LeonMire »

Aperi wrote:Not really connected to Sailorman's problem, but I have been having major uploader problems too. If anyone has any advice it would really be helpful, because I have about 6 chapters of various projects completed and edited right now and I can't get any of them to upload!
I have uploaded files with no problem before, but just recently for some reason I can't get the uploader to work for me at all. I can get into it, and then when I select the file and hit "upload file", nothing happens! The bar at the bottom of the window starts to fill up as if the page is loading, then when it gets to the end, it just sticks there and doesn't give me an url. I can't even tell if the file has actually uploaded or not.
Anyone have any ideas? Like I said, I used to be able to uplaod files from this computer just fine, and I am still using the same software (audacity).
Hope someone can help, because otherwise I don't what I'm going to do about these files.
Are you making sure to select the MC from that drop down box? I'm not sure how long ago you used it, but that's a new feature of the uploader: each MC has their own folder. And it does something similar to what you describe if you don't select one.

You can always see whether the files are there by typing in this URL:
http://upload.librivox.org/uploads/--/

where -- is the MC's initials. Mine, for instance, is: http://upload.librivox.org/uploads/lm/

If that still doesn't work, we have some other options that you can use.
I remember how, in college, I got that part-time job as a circus clown, and how the children would laugh and laugh at me. I vowed, then and there, that I would get revenge.
Aperi

Post by Aperi »

Yes, I have been selecting the MC's initials. And I just checked and no, the files didn't upload :( But thanks for the suggestions.
LeonMire

Post by LeonMire »

Aperi wrote:Yes, I have been selecting the MC's initials. And I just checked and no, the files didn't upload :( But thanks for the suggestions.
Hm.. I don't know what the problem is. I know it's been working fine for me. Go ahead and go back and click on where it says "Having a problem with the uploader? Click here to report it to the uploader admin."

Do you know how to use FTP software? We have another uploader that's not used much anymore. If you do, let me know and I'll PM you the username and password.
Aperi

Post by Aperi »

Well, I reported it to the admin the first time it happened, and that was almost a month ago, which is why I'm starting to think that there may be something wrong with my computer or something that I'm doing wrong rather than the uploader itself. I have tried to upload all of the files multiple times, but it never works.
I don't have a clue about FTP software, I'm afraid. I don't know much about computers at all. What is it?