Hey! LV Philosophy Club! Request for conversation.

Non-reading activities need your help too!
d.e.wittkower

Post by d.e.wittkower »

Hey, I wanted to organize a conference call. I want to get a sense of what recording philosophy texts means to you.

I'd love to get a whole big bunch of different views, but Skype can only conference 9 people, so please sign up, and we'll cut things off there, if we have that many folks interested. I'll invite written thoughts from everybody and anybody, though!

I am available on the 26th, or after the 2nd, although my guess is that Jan 5th or 6th might be the first date which will work.

Please let me know if you'd like to chat, and approximately when you'd be free!
Ticktockman

Post by Ticktockman »

D.E.,

I'd love to chat with you and others about this, but you should know (and probably do) that I'm a bit of a poseur. I've never taken a philosophy course, but I am trying to make up for lost time. Being quite naive, I am concerned about translation in non-English texts (recall our Kant concerns). Beyond problems with meaning, if I am going to take the time & effort to read myself, I want to read beautiful prose (I never bothered you with a Berkeley v. Hume question along these lines that's been floating around in my small mind).

At any rate, I'll be watching this thread. I am also willing to remain a listener if you get more interest than you can handle.

Many thanks,
TTM
[color=darkblue][size=92][i]Three things in human life are important. The first is to be kind. The second is to be kind. And the third is to be kind.[/i] -- Henry James[/size][/color]
LeonMire

Post by LeonMire »

I'd be happy to participate. I've still got to download skype and figure out how to use it, but that shouldn't be too big of a problem.

I'm curious though, to know why you're wanting to have this conference. Is this for some kind of survey or something, or are you just interested to know what people think?
I remember how, in college, I got that part-time job as a circus clown, and how the children would laugh and laugh at me. I vowed, then and there, that I would get revenge.
-[url=http://www.deepthoughtsbyjackhandey.com/][u]Jack Handey[/u][/url]
Ticktockman

Post by Ticktockman »

LeonMire wrote:I've still got to download skype and figure out how to use it, but that shouldn't be too big of a problem.
Oh yeah, me too, but it could be a problem at work.
[color=darkblue][size=92][i]Three things in human life are important. The first is to be kind. The second is to be kind. And the third is to be kind.[/i] -- Henry James[/size][/color]
d.e.wittkower

Post by d.e.wittkower »

Well, I'm looking to get some conversation on tape which I can have a student transcribe, and potentially use in publication. (BTW, I'll need to get permission from all participants to create derivative works -- I assume this won't be too much of an issue, as we're all accustomed to waiving our rights over our words spoken here, but if it's an issue, please LMK.)

Primarily, though, I want to get an idea of what you think, for my own information, and I want to start up a dialogue on this amongst our volunteer community. The next stage in that dialogue is that I'll be inviting written submissions of short pieces on this subject for possible inclusion in a publication, about which I will remain silent for now. I want our conversation to be about our own issues and our own thoughts, and saying more about potential applications of this conversation would color the conversation, I think.

Is that cryptic enough for you?
Cloud Mountain

Post by Cloud Mountain »

Hello philosophers!*

Am dropping here an invitation to participate in the the 3 Jan 08 community podcast. The topic is one that is both heady and emotional: Poetic Language, Am hoping it will cover all things from the experience of reading/listening poetry, reading/recording poetry aloud, and all within the frameless frame of how language works, how it creates our thinking, forms of thinking and ultimately how we act. (Daren't hint at this on any other LV forum.)

Please send me your thoughts via PM. Grazie.

Thanks --Alan

*It's my sense that we are all philosophers, particularly as we are all such experts with language...
[url=http://librivox.org/newcatalog/people_public.php?peopleid=254]Alan's LV catalog[/url]
d.e.wittkower

Post by d.e.wittkower »

Wow! That sounds really fun, Alan!
Cloud Mountain

Post by Cloud Mountain »

d.e.wittkower wrote:Wow! That sounds really fun, Alan!
If possible, any recordings should be to me by Dec 28. Thanks.

'Can prepare a list of questions if anyone's interested but is feeling "speaker's block."
[url=http://librivox.org/newcatalog/people_public.php?peopleid=254]Alan's LV catalog[/url]
Ticktockman

Post by Ticktockman »

A list would help me, but if you have enough respondents already, I probably wouldn't be able to add value.

Best, TTM
puffin1

Post by puffin1 »

I think, therefore I rhyme

In metered time, sublime.

Such noise, damned noise

Does foul my equipoise

Yet spew I not, here

Lines forgot, dear?

A mental pox, now uttered

This Librivox., I muttered. :wink:
Last edited by puffin1 on December 20th, 2007, 6:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[size=84][color=#483d8b][b]Is it weird in here, or is it just me? [/b][/color][/size]- [size=75][i]Steven Wright[/size][/i]
d.e.wittkower

Post by d.e.wittkower »

Indicated interest:

1. Hugh

2. Gesine

3. Kirsten

4. Leon

5. Robert Scott

6. CarlManchester

Requested "reserve" status:

i. TTM

ii. Jim Mowatt

Now, let's see . . . Kirsten is at GMT - 8, and Gesine at GMT + 1?
hugh
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by hugh »

sure i'm in. EST.
ductapeguy

Post by ductapeguy »

I'm EST as well
[size=84] Sean McGaughey
Librivox: [url=http://librivox.org/newcatalog/people_public.php?peopleid=231]Catalog[/url] | [url=http://ductapeguy.net]ductapeguy.net-- My music and podcasts[/url][/size]