Some Books that Aren't in the Public Domain (and why)

Suggest and discuss books to read (all languages welcome!)
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

It's already in the catalogue and being read by at least 1 other reader. Anne
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Yeah, it looks like we need to remove that and Lady Chatterly from the first post. 8-) I guess we just haven't gotten to it yet.

EDIT: Done!
School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
Tale123

Post by Tale123 »

Do US copyright laws also apply to authors from other countries who wrote their works in their own country and never really had anything to do with the US? :hmm:

Also, if an author lived and wrote his works in a country that has stricter copyright laws, surely US law wouldn't apply since it's out of their jurisdiction?

Tale
Winnifred

Post by Winnifred »

Tale123 wrote: February 8th, 2024, 4:40 pm Do US copyright laws also apply to authors from other countries who wrote their works in their own country and never really had anything to do with the US? :hmm:

Also, if an author lived and wrote his works in a country that has stricter copyright laws, surely US law wouldn't apply since it's out of their jurisdiction?

Tale
I'm sure one of the admins will weigh in on this, but here's my take on it, based on my own experience.

Because Librivox recordings are housed on the Internet Archive site, which is located in the US, the recordings need to adhere to US copyright law. If you're in a different country, with different copyright laws (as I am, in Canada), you also have to follow the copyright laws of your own country to record (or download) recordings. So I can record something that was published in 1928 or earlier (PD under US law), provided the author died in 1971 or earlier (PD under Canadian law).

It's a bit confusing, but it is logical.

Cheers,
Winnifred

Readers Wanted:
Where the Blue Begins by Christopher Morley (humorous novel about a "Synthetic Hound" named Haphazard Gissing I.)
Potemkin Village by Fletcher Pratt (science fiction novelet)
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Tale123 wrote: February 8th, 2024, 4:40 pm Do US copyright laws also apply to authors from other countries who wrote their works in their own country and never really had anything to do with the US? :hmm:

Tale
Since the Archive servers (which host our files) are in the US, we use US copyright law. So even if an author never had anything to do with the US, we'd still follow US copyright law for those works. (US copyright law does have something to say for works published outside the US.)

If you live outside the US, you have to follow your own country's copyright laws. Someone living in Europe (a Life+70 jurisdiction), even if a book is PD in the US (say, published in 1928) but the author died less than 70 years ago, that person would be breaking EU copyright law by recording the work. This happens a lot. I was SO excited to be able to download and listen to P.G. Wodehouse soon, but alas, Canada copyright changed, and he'll be copyrighted another 20 years. *sigh*

So those outside the US have to pay attention to both laws: that in their country (stay within the law where you are) and that in the US (to record it for LV).

Does this make sense?

EDIT: What Winnifred said. 8-)
Tale123

Post by Tale123 »

Thanks for clarifying this! 🙂👍

Tale
cavaet

Post by cavaet »

https://archive.org/details/ComradeDonCamillo-English/mode/1up?view=theater

I found this copy on archive.org, from the 1950's. It's a "complete" copy, as far as it goes, but Pilot Productions have a later more complete version translated version that I know is owned by the family still. Most of these stories appear in various versions on the internet
So the question is, can i make a recording of this one from archive.org?

C
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

cavaet wrote: March 9th, 2024, 11:07 am https://archive.org/details/ComradeDonCamillo-English/mode/1up?view=theater

I found this copy on archive.org, from the 1950's. It's a "complete" copy, as far as it goes, but Pilot Productions have a later more complete version translated version that I know is owned by the family still. Most of these stories appear in various versions on the internet

C
Archive is not a reliable source of <95 year old PD-ness, especially stuff uploaded from India. This text would have to be copyright-cleared through Gutenberg or HathiTrust.
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

The last page has an author's note dated 1963, so it's not from the 1950s.
Tale123

Post by Tale123 »

phileasfogg wrote: March 7th, 2023, 6:05 am Oh , thanks a lot !!! I´ll apreciate it a lot. I´s a better translation than the other one in public domain at the Library of Spain. Thanks again!
Do you mean that this translation is also public domain?

Because as far as I know (correct me if I'm wrong), a translation of a public domain book counts as "original work" and is again copyright protected.

Just wanted to point this out.
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Tale123 wrote: March 9th, 2024, 3:41 pm
phileasfogg wrote: March 7th, 2023, 6:05 am Oh , thanks a lot !!! I´ll apreciate it a lot. I´s a better translation than the other one in public domain at the Library of Spain. Thanks again!
Do you mean that this translation is also public domain?

Because as far as I know (correct me if I'm wrong), a translation of a public domain book counts as "original work" and is again copyright protected.

Just wanted to point this out.
Yes. The translation was published in 1913, so it's PD in the US. And it's PD in Latin America because the author and translator died long enough ago.
cavaet

Post by cavaet »

TriciaG wrote: March 9th, 2024, 11:11 am
cavaet wrote: March 9th, 2024, 11:07 am https://archive.org/details/ComradeDonCamillo-English/mode/1up?view=theater

C
Archive is not a reliable source of <95 year old PD-ness, especially stuff uploaded from India. This text would have to be copyright-cleared through Gutenberg or HathiTrust.

doesn't surprise me at all. It was just a thought.
Agape77

Post by Agape77 »

I am brand new here and in the process of reading everything but I haven't come across anything that states if we can read books that have only been reprinted not written again by another author making it absent in the Public domain? Maybe it's in here and I am sorry for taking up your time, I just haven't seen it. I have a book that was originally printed in 1886, reprinted in 1968 and then reprinted in 1976 but the author is deceased. Is this allowed to be read here? Thanks!
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Agape77 wrote: March 26th, 2024, 10:58 am I am brand new here and in the process of reading everything but I haven't come across anything that states if we can read books that have only been reprinted not written again by another author making it absent in the Public domain? Maybe it's in here and I am sorry for taking up your time, I just haven't seen it. I have a book that was originally printed in 1886, reprinted in 1968 and then reprinted in 1976 but the author is deceased. Is this allowed to be read here? Thanks!
It depends on if it was edited between the editions.

Is the work available on Archive.org, HathiTrust.org, Gutenberg.org, Google books, etc. in its 1886 version? That's 100% allowed. We'd have to explore the reprint more thoroughly.
Agape77

Post by Agape77 »

I will check to see if it is and get back with you. Thank you!
I just found it on Archive.org. I had to do an advanced search. It seems to be read by a robot on audio. Since it's there, can it be read here?