LV servers getting spiked [FIXED]

Comments about LibriVox? Suggestions to improve things? News?
hugh
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by hugh »

fyi our servers are getting flooded, we'll keep you posted (assuming we can post)!

forum & blog & wiki might be affected.
Last edited by hugh on November 14th, 2007, 12:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
peatbogfaery

Post by peatbogfaery »

For the non-techie of us, what does this mean, and is there anything we can do to help?
hugh
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by hugh »

all is ok now...

but, a description:
it means, more or less, that there were many many simultaneous requests to "see" pages (and the images on those pages) on the librivox web site. each time someone looks at our web pages, it takes memory and processing on the server. and memory and processing power are finite - if you make too many demands on them, things stop working.

so if someone - on purpose or by accident - sends many many simultaneous requests to see our web pages, it "breaks" our servers, and means other people can't see them.

more or less (i'm not a techie either).
peatbogfaery

Post by peatbogfaery »

I see! Thanks.
Jc

Post by Jc »

Hmmmm.... I don't know if this can be related, but I had this problem when I was in China: Sometimes, about once every 2 or 3 days, when I'd go on the forum pages, it would suddenly start opening tons and tons of popups windows with the forum's homepage. Like, nonstop until I had to shut down the computer.

I thought it was a problem with my aunt's computer, maybe a virus or something like that, and plus the browser had no popup blocker.

Maybe that's what causing the spikes...

(and even now, once in a while, I'd get the little message saying that a popup window has been blocked by Firefox)
Put yourself in the Readers' Accents Table. See this post.
(Busy real life & traveling, sorry if not here often.)
raynr

Post by raynr »

Hello Jc,

I would suggest that you check your computer for adware or spyware. LibriVox has no pop-ups (in fact, no advertisement at all). Therefore it has to be something else, and that are usually programs that install themselves on your computer and can cause problems (pop-ups are harmless compared to other things they can do). A good and free program is, e.g., ad-aware:
http://www.lavasoftusa.com/products/ad_aware_free.php
"Everything in the world exists in order to end in a book." (Stéphane Mallarmé)
knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by knotyouraveragejo »

The little window that comes up to let you know you have a private message is blocked as a pop-up by my pop-up blocker. That may be what you are seeing Jc.
Jo
Jc

Post by Jc »

raynr wrote:Hello Jc,

I would suggest that you check your computer for adware or spyware. LibriVox has no pop-ups (in fact, no advertisement at all). Therefore it has to be something else, and that are usually programs that install themselves on your computer and can cause problems (pop-ups are harmless compared to other things they can do). A good and free program is, e.g., ad-aware:
http://www.lavasoftusa.com/products/ad_aware_free.php
No, it wasn't ad pop-ups. The browser just kept opening new windows with the forum's homepage.
Anyway, I don't have that kind of problem now that I'm back.
Put yourself in the Readers' Accents Table. See this post.
(Busy real life & traveling, sorry if not here often.)