Recording a different translation of a book Librivox already has

Post your questions & get help from friendly LibriVoxers
DavidYoung

Post by DavidYoung »

Now that I have done an entire Sienkiewicz novel, I was interested to see what else he had written whose English translation is in the public domain.

Librivox already has a collaborative recording of 'W pustyni i w puszczy' in English, titled 'In Desert And Wilderness', here: https://librivox.org/in-desert-and-wilderness-by-henryk-sienkiewicz/

However, also in the public domain is a different translation of the same novel with the title 'Through The Desert'. Its translator, Mary Webb (also credited as Artois, Mary W.), died in 1935 so it will not fall foul of copyright laws. It's here on Project Gutenberg: https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/60177

I would like to record this latter translation. Is this permitted on Librivox or do you prefer to keep the number of recordings of the same story to a minimum?
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Moved from the Launch Pad to "Need Help?"
School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
SowasVon

Post by SowasVon »

Not a mod, but since Librivox allows for multiple recordings of the same text by different people, without putting a limit on how many there may be, I don't see why they would keep you from recording a different translation of the same text.
"You're on Librivox? Pffft. You just like to hear yourself talk."
"Yuuuup." :mrgreen:
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

The more translations, the better, as far as I'm concerned! As long as they're all in the public domain, that is. Go for it!
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

We have several different translations of the same project in the catalogue.
So yes go ahead They are usually not catalogued as - version 2 but as - (translators name) translation
Anne