How to interpret the warning around copyright and reading?

Comments about LibriVox? Suggestions to improve things? News?
justdaj

Post by justdaj »

I've seen similar statements on various posts for Readers:
Volunteers outside the USA: (the author) died in 1958. This person's work may still be protected by copyright in countries where copyright duration is determined by the author's death date. In Europe this is 70 years; in Canada it is 70 years for authors who died after 1971; and in Australia it is 70 years for authors who died after 1955.
BUT what are we actually being told, beyond the facts of when the author died, and when copyright expires.

Are you saying that if I am in Europe I can not participate in the reading project (as the copyright does not expire until 2028)?
Can I even listen to the book in Europe yet?

thanks
David
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

That's correct. If the author died 70 years ago or fewer, someone in Europe would be breaking European copyright laws if they downloaded their works to listen to, or if they recorded their works.

Essentially, you'd have to listen to audiobooks from sources that worked with the copyright holder to make an authorized audiobook. Just like you can't copy a copyrighted printed book, you can't record one, and you would be running afoul of copyright laws by purchasing (or downloading) a copy of a "bootlegged" version.
Very limited computer access Wed-Sun, May 15-19.
justdaj

Post by justdaj »

Interesting.

It seems therefore that my ambition as a Reader is short lived, as in non-existent. Although, I guess it depends on the author of the work being deceased more than 70 years

Thanks for the clarification
David
sjmarky

Post by sjmarky »

justdaj wrote: May 5th, 2024, 11:40 am Interesting.

It seems therefore that my ambition as a Reader is short lived, as in non-existent. Although, I guess it depends on the author of the work being deceased more than 70 years

Thanks for the clarification
Yes, it does. We all have to deal with copyright rules. In the US, many copyrights are valid for 95 years. That still leaves many PD works to record. You are not the only UK volunteer. You will need to do some searches and researches, but you will find works that you can record.
"Bringing you yesterday's tomorrow...today!"

My website
My Librivox reader page
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

As for LibriVox - our files are stored in the USA so we can only accept books that follow USA rules and that is what we have to follow,
And we have many non USA readers that find plenty to read.

Anne