SOLO The Delinquent, Vol. IV, Nos. 1-7 by National Prisoners' Aid Asoc. - rr

Upcoming books being recorded by a solo reader
dontburnthewitch

Post by dontburnthewitch »

The Delinquent, Vol. IV, Nos. 1-7, by National Prisoners' Aid Association
The Delinquent (formerly The Review) was a monthly periodical published by the National Prisoners' Aid Association.

Source text (please read only from this text!): Project Gutenberg ebooks, The Delinquent, Vol. IV
No. 1 .
No. 2 .
No. 3 .
No. 4 .
No. 5 .
No. 6 .
No. 7 .

Target completion date: 2024-09-01

Prooflistening level: Standard
Prospective PLs, please see the Guide for Proof-listeners.

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the number of languishing projects on our server, we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't recorded anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process unless you are the BC or PL. Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin

Genres for the project: *Non-fiction/Social Science (Culture & Anthropology)

Keywords that describe the book: prisons -- periodicals, social pathology, social and public welfare

========================================

LibriVox recording settings: mono (1 channel), 44100 Hz sample rate, 128 kbps constant bit rate MP3. See the Tech Specs

Intro to recording:
Leave 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning.

For the first section, say:
"Section # of The Delinquent, Vol. IV, Nos. 1-7. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information or to volunteer, please visit librivox.org." [Optional: "Read by your name."] "The Delinquent, Vol. IV, Nos. 1-7, by National Prisoners' Aid Association. Section Title."
For the second and subsequent sections, you may use the shortened intro if you wish:
"Section # of The Delinquent, Vol. IV, Nos. 1-7, by National Prisoners' Aid Association. This LibriVox recording is in the public domain." [Optional: "Read by your name."] "Section Title."
End of recording:
Say:
"End of section (or chapter) #." [Optional, and if not stated in the intro: "Read by your name, city, date."]
If you are recording the final section of the book, add:
"End of The Delinquent, Vol. IV, Nos. 1-7, by National Prisoners' Aid Association."
Leave 5 seconds of silence at the end.

Filename: delinquentvolivnos17_##_various_128kb.mp3 where ## is the section number. (e.g. delinquentvolivnos17_01_various_128kb.mp3)

Upload to the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader

MC to select: redrun

Copy and paste the file link generated by the uploader into the relevant Listen URL field in the Section Compiler, enter the duration in the Notes field, and post in this thread to let your PL and MC know that you have uploaded a file. You may also post the file link in the thread.
laurakgibbs

Post by laurakgibbs »

I would be very glad to PL for this one!!! :clap:
redrun
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by redrun »

And I would be very glad to join as your MC!
I'll be back with your Magic Window, and your instructions as a newly minted Book Coordinator! 8-)

Twice edited:
And, here we are!

I've made a few changes to the first post, to simplify things for us. For one, I've set up the "National Prisoners' Aid Association" as the author, similar to what we do with the National Geographic magazine. :thumbs:

You'll also notice I've added the titles and accredited authors for the first few articles into the Magic Window. That's a sample to get you going, but I'll have you fill in the rest!

Now for the instructions:

To manage the Magic Window, you'll need to set up your new account on the back-end system. The username is the same as your forum name, but since they're separate accounts, you may choose a different password if you wish. To get set up, follow the instructions here:
https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php?title=Soloists:_How_to_update_the_Magic_Window#Accessing_the_System_%E2%80%93_First_Time_Login

Once your account is set up, you can get to the system at any time by clicking 'BC Admin' in your first post in this thread, just below the Magic Window. For now, I'll have you use that to fill in the next article titles.
Going forward, whenever you upload a recording, you'll need to copy/paste the link from the Uploader into the 'Listen URL' column in that system page. Then change the Status to 'Ready for PL', and put the file's length in the Notes.
Lastly, you post back here so that Laura and I get a notification that something has changed!

If you run into trouble with the system, you can find more detailed instructions on the rest of linked wiki page, and of course you're welcome to ask questions!
dontburnthewitch

Thanks so much, Laura & Redrun!
I'm reading through the material -- and have begun recording.
I'm hopeful to get something uploaded in the next couple of days.

I'm caught in a slight glitch, looking for coaching.
* Must I necessarily begin each recorded section with the start of a new section of text?
And if not, please model how the section titling would then work best
(should each section title then include all the text titles to appear within the recorded section?)

With apology for the awkwardness of my wording here,
And gratitude for your guidance, partnership,
J GO
redrun
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by redrun »

dontburnthewitch wrote: May 4th, 2024, 9:21 pm * Must I necessarily begin each recorded section with the start of a new section of text?
And if not, please model how the section titling would then work best
(should each section title then include all the text titles to appear within the recorded section?)
I think I know what you're asking, and it's a good question!

No, you don't have to record e.g. "Why Delaware Use the Whipping Post*" and "Troubles of the Texas Prison System" as each their own audio file. You could combine the two as a single section in the Magic Window and upload them as a single .mp3 file, which will need the LibriVox intro only once.

As for what to title the combined section, you've got the idea. You might consider using a semicolon (;) or hyphen (-) to separate the titles, but the exact arrangement is at your discretion. For example, you might combine the first four text-parts into two audio sections like so:

Section | Title
1 | Why Delaware Use the Whipping Post; Troubles of the Texas Prison System
2 | The Prison Ship "Success"; Progress in Massachusetts

I did have the names of the authors in the audio-section titles for greater visibility, but so long as you read the author names (where provided) in your recording, we do meet the requirement there. :wink:
dontburnthewitch

Thanks for the feedback -- I tried the section title as suggested:
Section #1 of The Delinquent, Vol. IV, Nos. 1-7. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information or to volunteer, please visit librivox.org. The Delinquent, Vol. IV, Nos. 1-7, by National Prisoners' Aid Association. Why Delaware Use the Whipping Post; Troubles of the Texas Prison System.
but! i don't love it. i'm wondering about the following alternate approach:
Section #1 of The Delinquent, Vol. IV, Nos. 1-7. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information or to volunteer, please visit librivox.org. The Delinquent, Vol. IV, Nos. 1-7, by National Prisoners' Aid Association. Issue No. 1, January, 1914; Part 1.
With subsequent sections to follow in that model:
Section #2 of The Delinquent, Vol. IV, Nos. 1-7, by National Prisoners' Aid Association. This LibriVox recording is in the public domain. Issue No. 1, January, 1914; Part 2.
and
Section #5 of The Delinquent, Vol. IV, Nos. 1-7, by National Prisoners' Aid Association. This LibriVox recording is in the public domain. Issue No. 2, February, 1914; Part 1.
etc, etc . . .

Would that be okay?
I see value in offering the issue no/date with the section title.
redrun
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by redrun »

That will work! So long as the text title and author names are read as they appear inside the text, they don't also need to be a part of the audio intro or "section title" in the Magic Window. :thumbs:
dontburnthewitch

:9:
dontburnthewitch

Okay! - I have posted section #1 for proof listening.

A question to redrun:
:?: Is it okay that I’ve input the fields on the .mp3 for #, title, contributing artists, album?
Or is it best if I leave those unfilled?

A point of note to laura:
:hmm: At 0:39:09, there was some potential errata. I read the figure:
$60,00
as:
sixty-thousand dollars
. I emailed Project Gutenberg with the following errata report:
The Delinquent (Vol. IV, No. 1), January, 1914 by Various (National
Prisoners' Aid Association)

April 4, 2017 [eBook #54486]

line #562 in [.txt]:

full amount of this loss, for only about $60,00 was

zero missing or comma misplaced?
T H A N K Y O U
redrun
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by redrun »

dontburnthewitch wrote: May 6th, 2024, 10:36 pm Okay! - I have posted section #1 for proof listening.

A question to redrun:
:?: Is it okay that I’ve input the fields on the .mp3 for #, title, contributing artists, album?
Or is it best if I leave those unfilled?
Filling them out won't break anything, but it is wasted effort. The fields will all be filled as part of the cataloging process, when the project is complete. That's also when I will remove the extra, blank MW sections. :thumbs:

Since the project is all set up, and we've assembled the band, I'll go ahead and move us to the Going Solo forum!
laurakgibbs

Post by laurakgibbs »

Wow, this is going to be so intense to listen to! It was great to hear your voice again... but what a contrast to the fun storytelling in the Tales book. Of course, even though this is not a book of tales, there are so many stories *implied* in these pieces, and grim stories they are. Especially living here in Texas (in Austin, and just a few blocks from the state capitol building in fact; I see it from my window), this was really thought-provoking to listen to. PLANTATIONS... and the statistics tell us right there about how many of these prisoners were black. So, like I said, wow...

Anyway, your reading was just super! I noticed only one tiny thing to jiggle here in part 1:
1:33 shall be repealed (not replaced)

Also, about Gutenberg errors: they happen! You can use the actual page scans at Hathi to check on things like that, and you were exactly right about the 60,000; here's a link you can use to look at that page:
https://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?id=mdp.39015073679451&seq=7&q1=60,000
You can see that there is a sort of half-zero in the scan and so probably the OCR at Gutenberg missed it -- the OCR technology has gotten soooooo much better, but back in the day there used to be lots of things like that where the computer didn't know how to correct scan errors based on something that just didn't make sense. Of course, YOU knew what made sense and what didn't, yay!

I am so glad you are doing this project; it is a powerful way to use public domain materials to make history, actual history, come alive, and on a topic so important and being debated even now. Intense indeed... thank you for doing this!!!
dontburnthewitch

Thanks so much for your enthusiasm, Laura!
I jiggled that one line and put it into the magic window.
Hoping to have section 2 for you in the next day or so.
Thanks, again, everybody!
laurakgibbs

Post by laurakgibbs »

dontburnthewitch wrote: May 13th, 2024, 12:45 pm Thanks so much for your enthusiasm, Laura!
I jiggled that one line and put it into the magic window.
Hoping to have section 2 for you in the next day or so.
Thanks, again, everybody!
Super! Perfect edit there, so I'll go mark that PL OK in the magic window. I'm looking forward to the next installment. :-)