The Temple by George Herbert [IN CATALOG]

Suggest and discuss books to read (all languages welcome!)
UncleGeorge

Post by UncleGeorge »

Anyone have any plans to record George Herbert's The Temple? There's a recording on the site, but I'm not always a fan of collaborative recordings. The poems are all by one person, so one reader just makes more sense to me. I have a facsimile copy on Google books and was thinking of recording it myself.
Tim
Winnifred

Post by Winnifred »

UncleGeorge wrote: May 1st, 2024, 10:12 am Anyone have any plans to record George Herbert's The Temple? There's a recording on the site, but I'm not always a fan of collaborative recordings. The poems are all by one person, so one reader just makes more sense to me. I have a facsimile copy on Google books and was thinking of recording it myself.
Tim
There's also one on Hathitrust, which might be a bit easier to read: https://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?id=njp.32101068140316&seq=1

And another on Internet Archive at: https://archive.org/details/temple00herb/page/1/mode/1up

They are both later editions but still well within the public domain.

Cheers,
Winnifred
From May 15-23, no access to Checker or to PL readings longer than 10 minutes

Readers Wanted:
Potemkin Village by Fletcher Pratt (science fiction novelet)
The First Sir Percy (Scarlet Pimpernel prequel)
UncleGeorge

Post by UncleGeorge »

Thank you.
alanmapstone

Post by alanmapstone »

These are wonderful poems.

The complete recording in the catalogue used the Hathitrust text mentioned above. This will be about 5+ hours of recording if you do it all, which is quite a lot for a new reader. You might be better advised to start with something shorter.

Good Luck!
Alan
the sixth age shifts into the slippered pantaloon with spectacles on nose