[SOLO] Pauper, thief, and convict - Archer - ans

Upcoming books being recorded by a solo reader
Peter Why

Post by Peter Why »

The pauper, the thief, and the convict, by Thomas Archer (1830 - 1893)
"Bare, unpicturesque, and sordid as are the conditions of poverty, there are sights in London which everybody may and should see - sights which are sometimes touched upon in newspaper articles, or in the chapters of sensational stories, but whose dread meaning and fullest horror lie in that very blank routine of misery which most lacks interest." (Fom the introduction.) The author exposes the underside of poverty and crime, and expresses strong opinions about its causes and possible remedies: "The repressor of the unwilling pauper is often the owner of those foul tenements which disgrace the parish ...." (Summary from the introduction and Peter Yearsley)
Source text (please read only from this text!): (source unknown - a google pdf; though version available on https://www.victorianlondon.org/publications3/pauper.htm)

Target completion date: 2024-12-01

Prooflistening level: Standard
Prospective PLs, please see the Guide for Proof-listeners.

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the number of languishing projects on our server, we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't recorded anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process unless you are the BC or PL. Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
========================================
This paragraph is temporary and will be replaced by the MC with the list of sections and reader (Magic Window) once this project is in the admin system.

[list]
[*]Project Code: oAlhv3Q2
[*]Link to author on Wikipedia (if available):
[*]Link to title on Wikipedia (if available): (none)
[*]Number of sections (files) this project will have: 14
[*]Does the project have an introduction or preface: No
[*]Original publication date (if known): 1865
[*]If you are a new volunteer, how would you like your name (or pseudonym) credited in the catalog?
[*]Do you have a URL you would like associated with your name?:
[/list]

Genres for the project: *Non-fiction/History/Modern (19th C); *Non-fiction/Social Science (Culture & Anthropology)

Keywords that describe the book: Victorian London, poverty, Bethnal Green, Spitalfields, weavers, silk weaving, workhouse, (more to be added later)

LibriVox recording settings: mono (1 channel), 44100 Hz sample rate, 128 kbps constant bit rate MP3. See the Tech Specs

Intro to recording:
Leave 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning.

For the first section, say:
"Section # of The pauper, the thief, and the convict; sketches of some of their homes, haunts, and habits. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information or to volunteer, please visit librivox.org." "Read by Peter Yearsley" "The pauper, the thief, and the convict., by Thomas Archer. Section Title."
For the second and subsequent sections, you may use the shortened intro if you wish:
"Section # of The pauper, the thief, and the convict, by Thomas Archer. This LibriVox recording is in the public domain." "Read by Peter Yearsley" "Section Title."
End of recording:
Say:
"End of section #."
If you are recording the final section of the book, add:
"End of The pauper, the thief, and the convict, by Thomas Archer."
Leave 5 seconds of silence at the end.

Filename: pauperthiefconvict_##_archer_128kb.mp3 where ## is the section number. (e.g. pauperthiefconvict_01_archer_128kb.mp3)

Upload to the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader

MC to select: xxxx

Copy and paste the file link generated by the uploader into the relevant Listen URL field in the Section Compiler, enter the duration in the Notes field, and post in this thread to let your PL and MC know that you have uploaded a file. You may also post the file link in the thread.
Last edited by Peter Why on May 8th, 2024, 11:49 pm, edited 6 times in total.
"I think, therefore I am, I think." Solomon Cohen, in Terry Pratchett's Dodger
Peter Why

Post by Peter Why »

Laura (lvictoria) has volunteered to be the DPL.

I downloaded a pdf of this book some years ago, but forgot to note the source. In format, it seems to be a google document, but I couldn'd find it online now. The Victorian London site has a reformatted text (which I can't assume is PD), whose first chapter is identical to that of the pdf I have. I'd be happy to give a copy of the pdf to admin, and will give one to my DPL.

Peter
Last edited by Peter Why on May 2nd, 2024, 12:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

We seem to make a good team so I'll set it up for you - If the text matches I'll accept that. Back soon - Anne
Peter Why

Post by Peter Why »

Thanks, Anne.

Peter
Peter Why

Post by Peter Why »

I've uploaded the first chapter. It's the introduction, and is rather dry. Later chapters are more descriptive and involving.

Peter
lvictoria

Post by lvictoria »

Hi Anne and Peter. It's good to be working with you both again.

I have chapter 1 downloaded and will listen later today.
Laura
lvictoria

Post by lvictoria »

Here are the notes for 1:

~13:08 "while 9132 could do neither" was read 932
~16:14 "and" is repeated in the phrase "and elsewhere"

I just wanted to double check about the intros and outros since the template shows that you'll be using "Section #" for both. In the intro you say "section 1" and in the outro you say "end of chapter 1"

It's going to be interesting hearing the author's thoughts on this subject.
Laura
Peter Why

Post by Peter Why »

Thanks, Laura; chapter one edited and re-uploaded.

The chapter/section mix-up comes from my estimates of chapter lengths. There's a chance that chapter 3 will be too long for one recording, so might have to be in two pieces, sections 3 (chapter 3, part 1) and 4 (chapter 3, part 2). I forgot to end my chapter one recording as "section", rather than "chapter". Thanks for catching that. I'll try to remember!

Peter
Last edited by Peter Why on May 3rd, 2024, 1:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
lvictoria

Post by lvictoria »

Thanks for clarification, Peter. I wondered if some of the chapters might be a bit long.

Section 1 is PL OK
Laura
Peter Why

Post by Peter Why »

Laura, do you think I should avoid longer sections, and go for around 30 minutes? It doesn't take much more work to do, and I think that half-hour pieces will be easier to listen to.

As it is, the second chapter feels quite long, so I'm going to get it all recorded and edited before deciding on splitting it up.

Peter
lvictoria

Post by lvictoria »

I tend to listen to audio books in large chunks of time so I don't mind long sections at all. However, since the subject matter of this book leans on the heavy side, some listeners may wish to digest the content in smaller sections. Ultimately, I would just go with whatever feels most comfortable to you. (Not very helpful, was I?}
Laura
Peter Why

Post by Peter Why »

Thanks, Laura; after finishing chapter two, I think I'll stick to my original plan, just splitting chapter three.

Chapter two has been uploaded.

Peter
lvictoria

Post by lvictoria »

A very sobering chapter which makes me grateful for what I have.

~10:51 I hear 'Hollywood Place" for 'Hollybush Place'
~21:31 'speak of it' is missing from 'when those who follow it speak of it"
~25:54 repeat of 'and' in the phrase 'and hulking youths'
~44:23 is a cough right before 'were it not for two of the company'
Laura
Peter Why

Post by Peter Why »

Thanks for catching them, Laura; considering that I edit by going through the entire recording, I don't know how I miss so many mistakes!

Chapter 2 edited and re-uploaded.

Yes, it's a side of the world which almost certainly still exists in places, and which we know nothing about.

Peter
lvictoria

Post by lvictoria »

Chapter 2 is good to go.
Laura