1-Minute Test Recording Submission [OK]

All languages: post your test recording here. Help check audio files.
karthikey97

Post by karthikey97 »

Hello.

Please find the recording here: https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/test_karthikey97.mp3
I registered to LibriVox a few years ago but forgot about it somehow. I recently started listening to a LibriVox audiobook and wanted to try my hand at it once again. I realize there is some hum in the background. I was able to remove it using the method discussed in the forum, but I am sharing the one with the noise here as it was suggested to upload the raw file for more accurate feedback.

I hope this works out!:)
Winnifred

Post by Winnifred »

karthikey97 wrote: April 29th, 2024, 12:51 am Hello.

Please find the recording here: https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/test_karthikey97.mp3
I registered to LibriVox a few years ago but forgot about it somehow. I recently started listening to a LibriVox audiobook and wanted to try my hand at it once again. I realize there is some hum in the background. I was able to remove it using the method discussed in the forum, but I am sharing the one with the noise here as it was suggested to upload the raw file for more accurate feedback.

I hope this works out!:)
Welcome to Librivox, kathrikey97!

Your voice is clear and pleasant. You're right about the background hum. Everything else meets Librivox technical standards.

If you're using Audacity, you can easily eliminate that hum. Select the closing five seconds of your recording, click "Effect > Noise reduction" and "Noise Profile." Then select the entire track, click "Effect > Noise reduction" and "OK," after making sure your settings are at "Noise reduction (dB) 12," "Sensitivity 6.00," and "Frequency smoothing (bands) 3." Then save and re-export the file to mp3 and re-upload it, and post the link in a response to this post. I'll come back and check it out.

Thanks,
Winnifred
From May 15-23, no access to Checker or to PL readings longer than 10 minutes

Readers Wanted:
Potemkin Village by Fletcher Pratt (science fiction novelet)
The First Sir Percy (Scarlet Pimpernel prequel)
karthikey97

Post by karthikey97 »

Hey Winnifred,
Thanks for the feedback. Here's the file with the background noise filter applied in Audacity. Let me know how it sounds now.
https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/test_karthikey97.mp3
Thanks!
Winnifred

Post by Winnifred »

karthikey97 wrote: April 30th, 2024, 3:21 am Hey Winnifred,
Thanks for the feedback. Here's the file with the background noise filter applied in Audacity. Let me know how it sounds now.
https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/test_karthikey97.mp3
Thanks!
Yes, that's better. You may have to apply that to all your recordings. You're ready to start recording!

You can test for background noise and other technical specifications using the the free standalone tool Checker before you upload. Just drag your file into the top area of this interface.

Members use this to check 1-minute tests and their own files. Look under the Information tab to see your detailed results.

To get it to also show your Background Noise, select Validation > Choose Validation Methods, and tick the box for Background Noise. You only need to do this once.

The Checker reviews the last 5 seconds of silence in a recording to assess background noise (all Librivox recordings are required to have 5 seconds of silence at the end so they work properly in all media players).

I suggest heading over to the "Readers Wanted: Short Works (Poetry & Prose)" forum to find your first recording. There are lots of short options there in all genres. Let the book coordinator of your first reading know if you want a different name than karthikey97 in the Librivox catalogue.

If you have questions along the way, the "Need Help? Got Advice?” forum is a useful place to get answers.

Happy reading!

Cheers,
Winnifred
From May 15-23, no access to Checker or to PL readings longer than 10 minutes

Readers Wanted:
Potemkin Village by Fletcher Pratt (science fiction novelet)
The First Sir Percy (Scarlet Pimpernel prequel)
karthikey97

Post by karthikey97 »

Thanks for the detailed explanation! I did use the Checker app to verify the background noise before the second submission.