Test from duffy424 [OK]

All languages: post your test recording here. Help check audio files.
duffy424

Post by duffy424 »

Here is my 1-minute test recording.

https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/test_duffy424.mp3

Done using latest version of Audacity. Recorded on a Windows 11 desktop computer. Microphone is a mid-grade USB mic - a CAD u37.

Thanks.
Winnifred

Post by Winnifred »

duffy424 wrote: April 27th, 2024, 11:24 am Here is my 1-minute test recording.

https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/test_duffy424.mp3

Done using latest version of Audacity. Recorded on a Windows 11 desktop computer. Microphone is a mid-grade USB mic - a CAD u37.

Thanks.
Welcome to Librivox, Douglas!

Your voice is powerful and animated, and your test meets all Librivox technical standards, so you're ready to start recording!

I suggest heading over to the "Readers Wanted: Short Works (Poetry & Prose)" forum to find your first recording. There are lots of short options there in all genres. Let the book coordinator of your first reading know if you want a different name than duffy424 in the Librivox catalogue.

If you have questions along the way, the "Need Help? Got Advice?” forum is a useful place to get answers.

Happy reading!

Cheers,
Winnifred

Readers Wanted:
Potemkin Village by Fletcher Pratt (science fiction novelet)
The First Sir Percy (Scarlet Pimpernel prequel)
"The Woggle-Bug Book" in Dramatic Reading & Story Collection 5 (dramatic reading of L. Frank Baum story)
duffy424

Post by duffy424 »

Thanks. I wondered about the breathing, which seemed too much. But I guess that is fairly normal, or at least OK in this situation.
Winnifred

Post by Winnifred »

duffy424 wrote: April 27th, 2024, 2:09 pm Thanks. I wondered about the breathing, which seemed too much. But I guess that is fairly normal, or at least OK in this situation.
It didn’t seem loud to me, but I think we always sound louder to ourselves. I always recall someone saying when I first started, to not worry about it unless I sounded like an asthmatic rhinoceros.

If it sounds overloud to your ear, you can always de-amplify just the breaths by 5 dB. Just select the breath, then click “Effect > Amplify” and insert -5 into the dialogue box and click Apply. That should bring it down to a natural level. If you cut out your breathing altogether it’ll sound unnatural. And for some readings, the breaths can be a deliberate part of the effect you want to make.

Cheers,
Winnifred

Readers Wanted:
Potemkin Village by Fletcher Pratt (science fiction novelet)
The First Sir Percy (Scarlet Pimpernel prequel)
"The Woggle-Bug Book" in Dramatic Reading & Story Collection 5 (dramatic reading of L. Frank Baum story)