Audacity start and stop lines on my track

Post your questions & get help from friendly LibriVoxers
KarenSmith

Post by KarenSmith »

Hello All,
This is my first Audacity recording.

When I start recording, then want to stop (for whatever reason), there is a line.... and when I restart the track the title line will go from "whatever the title is" #1 to "whatever the title is" #2 and so on throughout the track of my recording. I currently have "whatever the title is" #55.

I know this cannot be correct but cannot figure out how to either delete these lines or how to start and stop recording without the lines.

I would greatly appreciate any help.
Thank you,
Karen
Winnifred

Post by Winnifred »

KarenSmith wrote: April 22nd, 2024, 3:52 pm Hello All,
This is my first Audacity recording.

When I start recording, then want to stop (for whatever reason), there is a line.... and when I restart the track the title line will go from "whatever the title is" #1 to "whatever the title is" #2 and so on throughout the track of my recording. I currently have "whatever the title is" #55.

I know this cannot be correct but cannot figure out how to either delete these lines or how to start and stop recording without the lines.

I would greatly appreciate any help.
Thank you,
Karen
Whenever you stop recording in Audacity and then restart, it automatically thinks you want to start a new track. So all those lines are separating your tracks from each other. To join them together, just select them all with your mouse and click ctrl-j (command-j on a Mac) and that'll connect them all together into one track.

You don't necessarily have to stop and restart your recording if you're doing it all in one sitting. You can just let the recording keep going and then go back and delete the silences (or repeats, corrections, nose blowings, drinks of tea, interrupting noises, or whatever) after you've finished the whole recording. You'll likely have to do some editing in any case.

Hope that answers your question?

Cheers,
Winnifred

Readers Wanted:
Potemkin Village by Fletcher Pratt (science fiction novelet)
KarenSmith

Post by KarenSmith »

Winnifred,

My sincerest thanks for answering this question..... I looked for hours on You Tube! Thank you so very much for taking the time to respond!

Gratefully,
Karen
flavo5000

Post by flavo5000 »

KarenSmith wrote: April 23rd, 2024, 3:05 pm Winnifred,

My sincerest thanks for answering this question..... I looked for hours on You Tube! Thank you so very much for taking the time to respond!

Gratefully,
Karen
You can also just click on the line and it will remove it. At least if it's the line I think you are referring to.
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Yeah, I just click the line to make it disappear, but I usually only have a couple.

And you can also just pause, rather than stop-and-start or let the thing keep recording. 8-) I think it's P on the keyboard? That's what I do. :)
School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
Winnifred

Post by Winnifred »

flavo5000 wrote: April 24th, 2024, 3:31 pm
You can also just click on the line and it will remove it. At least if it's the line I think you are referring to.
TriciaG wrote: April 24th, 2024, 4:30 pm Yeah, I just click the line to make it disappear, but I usually only have a couple.
You folks haven't updated to Audacity 3.4.2, have you? The option to click the line to remove it disappeared with this version, much to many users' dismay (including me). They only later added the ctrl-j/command-j shortcut for removing them because of the outcry from users who frequently use this.

I'm used to it now, but it was a real pain at first.

I shall have to check out Pause. Haven't tried that yet. Might save me some editing time.

Cheers,
Winnifred

Readers Wanted:
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Argh! I greatly dislike when they significantly change things! Yes, I'm still back on 2.4.2.
School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
Winnifred

Post by Winnifred »

And 3.5.1 just came out! Can't wait to find out what they did to that one. Though I'm going to wait a bit longer before updating. Or maybe I'll try and run both at once for awhile.
Winnifred

Readers Wanted: