[FULL][Short Stories]The Black Cat Vol. 04 No. 04 January 1899 - kit

Upcoming books fully-subscribed with readers. Check progress here, too
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

JaimeWeaver wrote: April 21st, 2024, 8:25 amThank you so much for all of the support! This community is absolutely fantastic. I appreciate your reserving the spot for me while I get my audio okayed. You think can use JaiJai for my reader name! That's been my handle on various things for a long time, so it seems fitting to continue to use it.

I will get back to you once my audio test has been finished
thank you, I see you started and got already feedback and a few technical bits to tweak: viewtopic.php?t=102495

And yes, for reader name, JaiJai is fine, you can choose whatever you wish. The best is always to use the name you will use in the recording when saying "read by..."

Sonia
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

JaimeWeaver wrote: April 21st, 2024, 8:25 amYou think can use JaiJai for my reader name!
btw here is your reader page: https://librivox.org/reader/19438
all your projects will be listed here and you can check which sections are still outstanding or have PL notes.

Once the test is oked, have fun recording :) Since this is your first official section please read carefully through the first post, you can find all the details on how to read the full intro, the title/author and the outro, and how to name the file correctly.

Any further questions, don't hesitate to ask. I'm looking forward to hearing your story 8-)

The section is now officially reserved for you for two months.

Sonia
JaimeWeaver

Post by JaimeWeaver »

viewtopic.php?p=2322003#p2322003

I wasn't exactly sure how to forward this to you, hopefully this works fine. I was approved to record!
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

JaimeWeaver wrote: April 23rd, 2024, 6:46 amviewtopic.php?p=2322003#p2322003

I wasn't exactly sure how to forward this to you, hopefully this works fine. I was approved to record!
:thumbs: I've seen it, I kept an eye out for it :lol: You are good to go, please see my messages right above yours.

Enjoy, and I will be looking forward to listening to the story.

Sonia
JaimeWeaver

Post by JaimeWeaver »

I wasn't totally sure, so I recorded the first bit about the magazine and the various sections being read at the beginning. If I was not supposed to I can cut it out, just let me know. This was so much fun to record!! I hope you enjoy and let me know what I should fix/if you have any advice about how I'm reading. This is my first attempt at something like this, so any input about how I could make it better is much appreciated. :clap:

https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/blackcat0404jan1899_1_various_128kb.mp3
File length: 33:12
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

JaimeWeaver wrote: April 23rd, 2024, 6:24 pmI wasn't totally sure, so I recorded the first bit about the magazine and the various sections being read at the beginning. If I was not supposed to I can cut it out, just let me know. This was so much fun to record!! I hope you enjoy and let me know what I should fix/if you have any advice about how I'm reading. This is my first attempt at something like this, so any input about how I could make it better is much appreciated. :clap:

https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/blackcat0404jan1899_1_various_128kb.mp3
File length: 33:12
:lol: this was a hilarious story, and here I thought the title sounded a bit dry...far from it. Highly entertaining.

As to your narration, very lively done and lovely to listen to. :thumbs: You were courageous to tackle such a long story as your first endeavour, but you did it wonderfully. Already looking forward to hearing you in some other project soon. 8-)

Since this is you first section, there are a few kinks to iron out still, which I'll write down with the exact time stamps below. Don't worry, it might look like a lot but it's actually not that much considering the length of the text.

Now, please, do no re-record from scratch (I mention this because some new readers think they need to). It's too much work for both reader and prooflistener, especially with such a long text as this. The way to go is Spot-editing the parts in the PL notes. If you need help on how to edit, please let me know and I can work you through it.

I would recommend, starting with the last note and working your way up, that way, the time stamps stay correct for you to find the exact spot ;)

> at the beginning: we recommend 0.5-1 second maximum of silence, you have over 2 seconds

> from 0:02 to 0:50: my summary indeed can be cut, this is for the official catalogue page, not for the audio version. Sorry that I was imprecise, with "full intro" I meant the LV disclaimer intro, which you can see in full under the Magic Window in the first post. You have that one correct.

> from 1:24 to 1:29: between author and start of story, the silence feels too long. I always recommend staying under 2 seconds, even between paragraphs, 1.5 seems enough, to make the story more fluent.

> at 1:36: (p. 1) "It then assumed an aspect almost Corsican" – you say "it was assumed an aspect of Corsican" which changes the meaning quite a bit.

> at 3:28: (p. 2) "the three did Capri, Sorrento, Ischia" – as a suggestion if you want the correct Italian pronunciations, it's Ca-pree (you say Ca-pa-ree) and Iss-kee-ah (you say Ish-shia)

> from 18:42 to 18:45: (p. 8) between "this was the despatch" and "Italy" – also here the pause is a bit too long, I would cut significantly to under 2 seconds

> at 21:49: (p. 9) "he bought the second edition of the corriere di Napoli" – as a suggestion, it's "co-ri-e-re / dee / na-po-lee", to make it a bit more precise to understand maybe

> at 24:04: (p. 10) "he caught the 2:40 train" – you say "four"

> at 31:39: (p. 13) "you've exposed it" – you say "expressed"

> at 33:04: "read by JayJay..." – actually, please only say the name credit, either at the beginning or at the end, saying it twice is a bit redundant

> at the end: we need a standard of 5 seconds of silence, you only have 3.5

Simply reupload with the exact same filename, then the old recording will replace the new one.

Thanks

Sonia
Cbteddy

Post by Cbteddy »

Hello! Here is section 4 (18:20). What an interesting story! Totally went in a different way than I thought it would go.

https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/blackcat0404jan1899_4_various_128kb.mp3
Cheers,
Claire

~~Books are like people, but usually more interesting~~
~~I'm not addicted to reading. I can stop as soon as I finish the next chapter~~

Come read!
The Boys' Book of Famous Rulers by Lydia Hoyt Farmer
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Cbteddy wrote: April 28th, 2024, 10:54 amHello! Here is section 4 (18:20). What an interesting story! Totally went in a different way than I thought it would go.
https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/blackcat0404jan1899_4_various_128kb.mp3
:shock: indeed ! I was expecting that robber to show up any time, but that was clearly a red herring. Turned out a wild-west ghost story, how cool. 8-) Yes, this magazine chooses excellent stories.

And beautifully narrated, the accent wasn't easy :thumbs: Absolutely PL ok.

Thank you, Claire

Sonia