[GROUP/HUMOROUS FICTION] Where the Blue Begins, by Christopher Morley - kd

Upcoming books fully-subscribed with readers. Check progress here, too
ShellyW

Post by ShellyW »

Winnifred wrote: April 20th, 2024, 12:25 pm
ShellyW wrote: April 20th, 2024, 12:04 pm
Winnifred wrote: April 20th, 2024, 11:25 am

Hi Shelly,

Chapter 1 is PL OK and wonderfully read, but I have one suggestion you might want to try. I notice the background noise is flagged as "moderate" in Checker. It's not obtrusive enough to prevent this chapter from passing, but it would benefit from a round of noise reduction (set to 12, 6, and 3). I leave it up to you whether you want to do this or not.

Thanks,

OK I have another question. A couple times I have received a noise flag and I could not figure out what noise it was talking about. Another time there was no flag and I did hear noise. Is it possible that the checker picks up artifacts from a previously saved file??

I have already used noise reduction on this, as well as some spot changes. I get concerned about overprocessing. :hmm:
Checker looks only at the last 5 seconds of the recording. If there’s background noise there, it’ll flag it. If it’s silent there, but there’s noise elsewhere, it won’t flag anything. And no, it couldn’t be from a previously saved file, as it doesn’t retain any information.

I find I can safely run two rounds of noise reduction on my files without any significant impairment of my recording (I often have to, as I record next to a refrigerator, and one round just isn’t enough if it’s running). But it’s up to you. It’s not super noisy, just a bit noticeable.

You could always run noise reduction, then listen to it and decide if the sound is ok before saving and re-exporting. If you don’t like what you hear, just close without saving.

Cheers,
Wow, very useful information, thank you!

:lol: I just realized I might be hearing raindrops in the background :lol:
Shelly
Shellyweingart.com
ShellyW

Post by ShellyW »

Shelly
Shellyweingart.com
ShellyW

Post by ShellyW »

I went ahead and did a noise reduction on chapter 1 and uploaded it.

https://librivox.org/uploads/kilteddragon/wherebluebegins_01_morley_128kb.mp3 (9:32)
Shelly
Shellyweingart.com
Winnifred

Post by Winnifred »

ShellyW wrote: April 23rd, 2024, 10:15 am I went ahead and did a noise reduction on chapter 1 and uploaded it.

https://librivox.org/uploads/kilteddragon/wherebluebegins_01_morley_128kb.mp3 (9:32)
Spot PL OK! Definitely better.

Cheers,
Winnifred

Readers Wanted:
Potemkin Village by Fletcher Pratt (science fiction novelet)
Winnifred

Post by Winnifred »

ShellyW wrote: April 23rd, 2024, 10:04 am Chapter 15 ready for PL

https://librivox.org/uploads/kilteddragon/wherebluebegins_15_morley_128kb.mp3 (16:14)
Nicely done, Shelly. Gissing really is outrageous, isn't he?

Just a few small fixes needed:
  • At 1:40 there are a couple of words missing. I hear “Occasionally Captain Scottie would emerge from his cabin with a faint surprise, and come to the bridge to see what was happening.” But the text reads “Occasionally Captain Scottie would emerge from his cabin, look round with a faint surprise, and come to the bridge to see what was happening.” I think this sentence would make more sense with those words included
  • At 6:10, I hear “Poised upon uncertainty, she was for sure.” But the text reads “Poised upon uncertainty, she was sure.” This has rather a different meaning, so I think the “for” needs to be snipped out.
  • At 8:03, I hear “…especially those who had wagered that the Polynesia would dock on the eighth day” but the ship’s name is the “Pomerania.” You might want to correct that so listeners don’t get confused.
Thanks,
Winnifred

Readers Wanted:
ShellyW

Post by ShellyW »

Winnifred wrote: April 23rd, 2024, 11:42 am
ShellyW wrote: April 23rd, 2024, 10:04 am Chapter 15 ready for PL

https://librivox.org/uploads/kilteddragon/wherebluebegins_15_morley_128kb.mp3 (16:14)
Nicely done, Shelly. Gissing really is outrageous, isn't he?

Just a few small fixes needed:
  • At 1:40 there are a couple of words missing. I hear “Occasionally Captain Scottie would emerge from his cabin with a faint surprise, and come to the bridge to see what was happening.” But the text reads “Occasionally Captain Scottie would emerge from his cabin, look round with a faint surprise, and come to the bridge to see what was happening.” I think this sentence would make more sense with those words included
  • At 6:10, I hear “Poised upon uncertainty, she was for sure.” But the text reads “Poised upon uncertainty, she was sure.” This has rather a different meaning, so I think the “for” needs to be snipped out.
  • At 8:03, I hear “…especially those who had wagered that the Polynesia would dock on the eighth day” but the ship’s name is the “Pomerania.” You might want to correct that so listeners don’t get confused.
Thanks,
:lol: I got Dr. Dolittle mixed up in there :lol:
Shelly
Shellyweingart.com
Winnifred

Post by Winnifred »

ShellyW wrote: April 23rd, 2024, 12:07 pm
:lol: I got Dr. Dolittle mixed up in there :lol:
Perfectly understandable! :lol:
Winnifred

Readers Wanted:
ShayanRahmati1

Post by ShayanRahmati1 »

Winnifred wrote: April 19th, 2024, 9:05 pm
ShayanRahmati1 wrote: April 19th, 2024, 7:43 pm Hello! Can I read chapter 2 please :mrgreen:
Welcome to Librivox, Shayan.

Before you start recording, please make and submit a 1-minute test recording (1-minute test info) to make sure your recording set up is ok. Post your test in the Forum appropriately named Post Your 1-Minute Test Recording Here and an experienced LVer will review it and provide feedback (and/or approve it). If you use Audacity, version 3.4.2, this post provides information on how to get your settings right.

This isn’t an audition, but just to make sure your technical specifications work for Librivox. It would be a shame to record a section then have to redo it because some simple setting is incorrect.

After your test is approved, head back here and claim your section. I'll tentatively reserve Chapter 2 for you until May 3, pending that approval. When you return, please read the top of this thread carefully, as it contains all the instructions you'll need to submit your section.

I look forward to your first foray into reading for Librivox!

Cheers,

Thanks for the fast and kind response back! I really appreciate it. I recorded a minute of test audio. Let me know whenever you have a chance to view it, thanks again! viewtopic.php?t=102523
Winnifred

Post by Winnifred »

ShayanRahmati1 wrote: April 23rd, 2024, 2:30 pm Thanks for the fast and kind response back! I really appreciate it. I recorded a minute of test audio. Let me know whenever you have a chance to view it, thanks again! viewtopic.php?t=102523
I've responded over in the test forum. One tweak needed to the file format before I can review.

Thanks,
Winnifred

Readers Wanted:
Winnifred

Post by Winnifred »

I've just posted Chapter 0 (the dedication) to the Magic Window. I will need someone else to PL it for me.

https://librivox.org/uploads/kilteddragon/wherebluebegins_00_morley_128kb.mp3 (1:16)

Thanks,
Winnifred

Readers Wanted:
KiltedDragon
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by KiltedDragon »

Chapter 0 is PL OK. :)
Barry
My Recordings
“I became insane. With long intervals of horrible sanity.” - Edgar Allan Poe
Winnifred

Post by Winnifred »

KiltedDragon wrote: April 23rd, 2024, 7:06 pm Chapter 0 is PL OK. :)
Thanks!
Winnifred

Readers Wanted:
ShellyW

Post by ShellyW »

I think I have fixed the 3 spots you mentioned above, as well as the date at the very end. I suddenly realized that for the first 3 weeks of April I was still saying "March." :hmm: :idea: :thumbs:

Oh, it might help to include the new link :help:

https://librivox.org/uploads/kilteddragon/wherebluebegins_15_morley_128kb.mp3 (16:15)
Shelly
Shellyweingart.com
Winnifred

Post by Winnifred »

ShellyW wrote: April 25th, 2024, 9:48 am I think I have fixed the 3 spots you mentioned above, as well as the date at the very end. I suddenly realized that for the first 3 weeks of April I was still saying "March." :hmm: :idea: :thumbs:

Oh, it might help to include the new link :help:

https://librivox.org/uploads/kilteddragon/wherebluebegins_15_morley_128kb.mp3 (16:15)
Thanks, Shelly. Ready for spot PL.

Cheers,
Winnifred

Readers Wanted:
JohnLeloup

Post by JohnLeloup »

I would like to claim sections 3 and 4.
Thanks,
JL