Samhita 1 minute test

All languages: post your test recording here. Help check audio files.
samhitap

Post by samhitap »

https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/samhitapokkunuri.mp3

Recorded with: Audacity

Mic: Audient iD4
Winnifred

Post by Winnifred »

samhitap wrote: April 13th, 2024, 2:20 pm https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/samhitapokkunuri.mp3

Recorded with: Audacity

Mic: Audient iD4
Welcome to Librivox, Samhita!

Your voice is pleasant and animated, but your test volume is much too low at 60.9 dB (I had to crank the volume waay up to even hear it).

Here's some information on how to adjust your volume before recording:

Set volume in the Audacity Gain Slider and on your mic
Ideal volume: between 86 and 92 dB

Top of Audacity screen

Move the input gain slider (upper row beside the little mic icon) well to the right.

Then adjust the input gain dial on your mic, if you have one, so your raw recording has wave forms that peak at about the 0.5 marks in the Audacity window, like this:

How to double-check volume in Audacity
Download the free ReplayGain plugin for Audacity to find out exactly how far your recording is from 89 dB. If the level is at or near zero, your volume is very close to 89 dB. If between +3 and -3, you're within the acceptable range for LibriVox. Instructions for installing and using this plugin are here.

Alternately (or in addition), you can download and use the free standalone tool Checker before you upload. Just drag your file into the top area of this interface.

Members use this to check 1-minute tests and their own files. Look under the Information tab to see your detailed results, including volume.

If you want it to also show your Background Noise, select Validation > Choose Validation Methods, and tick the box for Background Noise. You only need to do this once.

The Checker reviews the last 5 seconds of silence in a recording to assess background noise (all Librivox recordings are required to have 5 seconds of silence at the end so they work properly in all media players).

Please adjust your settings, re-record your test, re-upload the file, and post the link in a response to this post and I'll come back and check it out.

Thanks,
Winnifred

Readers Wanted:
Where the Blue Begins by Christopher Morley (humorous novel about a "Synthetic Hound" named Haphazard Gissing I.)
Potemkin Village by Fletcher Pratt (science fiction novelet)
samhitap

Post by samhitap »

Winnifred

Post by Winnifred »

samhitap wrote: April 14th, 2024, 11:40 am https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/samhitapokkunuri2.mp3
Hi, here is the adjusted recording
Hi Samhita,

That's better, but still a bit too low at 85.1 dB. Remember, your target is between 86 and 92 dB. You can find out for yourself whether your recording meets the standard by downloading the free Checker app (see my post above for the link) and running it through that before uploading.

To get the right volume, there's a simple fix in Audacity. Select the whole track, then click "Effect > Loudness Normalization" set to -19LUFS and "perceived loudness," then click "Apply." That will bring the volume up to the 89-90 dB range.

However, there is still one other issue; I notice several loud plosives (pops) on your p sounds. You can prevent those by speaking beside, rather than straight into, your mic, at a distance of about 6 inches or so. There's no way to fix those after recording, so could you please try recording the test once more, and reuploading it for a final (hopefully perfect!) version?

Many thanks,
Winnifred

Readers Wanted:
Where the Blue Begins by Christopher Morley (humorous novel about a "Synthetic Hound" named Haphazard Gissing I.)
Potemkin Village by Fletcher Pratt (science fiction novelet)