[COMPLETE] State of the Union Addresses (1978-1981) by Jimmy Carter (1924-) - icequeen

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

State of the Union Addresses by United States Presidents (1978-1981) by Jimmy Carter (1924-)

This project is now complete! All audio files can be found on our catalog page: https://librivox.org/state-of-the-union-addresses-by-united-states-presidents-1978-1981-by-jimmy-carter/

The State of the Union address is a speech or report presented by the President of the United States to a joint session of the United States Congress, typically delivered annually. The address not only reports on the condition of the nation but also allows the President to outline his legislative agenda (for which he needs the cooperation of Congress) and national priorities. This album contains recordings of addresses from Jimmy Carter. (Summary by KevinS)
Source text (please read only from this text!): https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/5045

Target completion date: 2024-06-30

Prooflistening level: Standard
Prospective PLs, please see the Guide for Proof-listeners.

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the number of languishing projects on our server, we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't recorded anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process unless you are the BC or PL. Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
========================================
This paragraph is temporary and will be replaced by the MC with the list of sections and reader (Magic Window) once this project is in the admin system.

[list]
[*]Project Code: liUJhHC0
[*]Link to author on Wikipedia (if available): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jimmy_Carter (Jimmy Carter)
[*]Link to title on Wikipedia (if available):
[*]Number of sections (files) this project will have: 4
[*]Does the project have an introduction or preface: No
[*]Original publication date (if known):
[*]If you are a new volunteer, how would you like your name (or pseudonym) credited in the catalog?
[*]Do you have a URL you would like associated with your name?:
[/list]

Genres for the project: *Non-fiction/Political Science

Keywords that describe the book: state of the union, jimmy carter, james carter

LibriVox recording settings: mono (1 channel), 44100 Hz sample rate, 128 kbps constant bit rate MP3. See the Tech Specs

Intro to recording:
Leave 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning.

For the first section, say:
"Section (or Chapter) # of State of the Union Addresses by United States Presidents by Jimmy Carter. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information or to volunteer, please visit librivox.org." [Optional: "Read by your name."] "State of the Union Addresses by United States Presidents, by Jimmy Carter. Section Title."
For the second and subsequent sections, you may use the shortened intro if you wish:
"Section (or Chapter) # of State of the Union Addresses by United States Presidents by Jimmy Carter. This LibriVox recording is in the public domain." [Optional: "Read by your name."] "Section Title."
End of recording:
Say:
"End of section (or chapter) #." [Optional, and if not stated in the intro: "Read by your name, city, date."]
If you are recording the final section of the book, add:
"End of State of the Union Addresses by United States Presidents by Jimmy Carter."
Leave 5 seconds of silence at the end.

Filename: stateoftheunion19781981 _##_carter_128kb.mp3 where ## is the section number. (e.g. stateoftheunion19781981 _01_carter_128kb.mp3)

Upload to the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader

MC to select: icequeen

Copy and paste the file link generated by the uploader into the relevant Listen URL field in the Section Compiler, enter the duration in the Notes field, and post in this thread to let your PL and MC know that you have uploaded a file. You may also post the file link in the thread.
Last edited by KevinS on April 15th, 2024, 6:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

I'm uncertain how we have handled copyright date(s) with this series.
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

I can MC this one for you, Kevin!

I believe that because these are speeches, done by a public figure, they are PD. Since they are at PG, we can trust that they are PD, especially since they state towards the bottom of the text's home page that this is PD. I will go ahead and set up the MW, and get the correct file name.
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

OK, I think I have everything the way it should be, and your MW ready for you! If I have anything not quite right, Tricia will let me know! :lol: :wink: We will wait here for a day or so to see if we can pick up a DPL.
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

icequeen wrote: April 13th, 2024, 6:00 pm OK, I think I have everything the way it should be, and your MW ready for you! If I have anything not quite right, Tricia will let me know! :lol: :wink: We will wait here for a day or so to see if we can pick up a DPL.
Thank you!
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

If I have anything not quite right, Tricia will let me know!
Speak of the devil....? :lol:

Just sticking in my nose about the copyright year. I don't think it's really important exactly which year goes in the database entry. We know it's PD, and that's the most important part. :)
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

TriciaG wrote: April 14th, 2024, 10:55 am
If I have anything not quite right, Tricia will let me know!
Speak of the devil....? :lol:

Just sticking in my nose about the copyright year. I don't think it's really important exactly which year goes in the database entry. We know it's PD, and that's the most important part. :)
I just in 1978 because that was the first year. I figured that would be good enough, plus it is PD at PG. We are all good!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

Off we go to Going Solo!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

icequeen wrote: April 15th, 2024, 1:00 pm Off we go to Going Solo!
Thank you. I'll advertise for a DPL in a day or two. Not everyone wants to listen to speeches.
KiltedDragon
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by KiltedDragon »

I will DPL this for you. :)
Barry
My Recordings
“I became insane. With long intervals of horrible sanity.” - Edgar Allan Poe
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

KiltedDragon wrote: April 15th, 2024, 6:43 pm I will DPL this for you. :)
Thank you. You may find this project to be of interest in comparing this viewpoint with those today. To me it's fascinating. Of course, I lived through those times years ago, but I paid little attention then, I must admit.
KiltedDragon
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by KiltedDragon »

Section 1 is PL OK. It was interesting to listen to an actual State of the Union speech instead of our modern speeches which just seem aimed at taking credit for things supposedly done and blaming the opposition for everything else.
Barry
My Recordings
“I became insane. With long intervals of horrible sanity.” - Edgar Allan Poe
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

KiltedDragon wrote: April 15th, 2024, 7:14 pm Section 1 is PL OK. It was interesting to listen to an actual State of the Union speech instead of our modern speeches which just seem aimed at taking credit for things supposedly done and blaming the opposition for everything else.
Amen.