Hi everyone! (+ question about Interlingue support)

Get to know your fellow readers and tell us a little about yourself
LeoS

Post by LeoS »

Hi everyone,

I'm Leo and I joined LibriVox a couple of days ago. So far I've completed the 1-minute test and contributed my very first section to a collaborative project. I look forward to being part of this community!

What drew me to LV is its friendliness towards non-English languages, including constructed ones. In the catalog there are Esperanto, Volapük and Interlingua, the latter still sitting at zero books. It seems that the language itself is simply too young for any works written in it to have entered the public domain.

There is another international auxiliary language, Interlingue (with a final -e, ISO 639-1 "ie"; originally called Occidental), which is actually just old enough (1922) to have a significant and growing amount of out-of-copyright material available. Since it's based on Western languages and tries to look as natural as possible, content in Interlingue could potentially be understood (and thus enjoyed) even by people who never actively learned it. For those interested, the Interlingue (Occidental) community maintains a modern website with more information.

I'd love to contribute the first LibriVox recording in Interlingue. Translating the LV disclaimer would be a breeze and I've already chosen a short work of prose (~3,500 words) which I think would make a good first project. Obviously, this triggers a few questions: How do I request the addition of a new language? Can I even start such a project as a newbie?

Any advice is greatly appreciated. :)

Leo
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

A short work like that would go in the multilingual short works collection. viewtopic.php?t=100916

You can give the BC the ISO code, since you have it, when you submit it. As an admin, he can add the new language. 8-) Than after it's added, it can be used for longer, standalone works.

If this were, say, a 3-hour solo, then we'd need to add it separately.
School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
LeoS

Post by LeoS »

TriciaG wrote: April 11th, 2024, 9:44 am A short work like that would go in the multilingual short works collection. viewtopic.php?t=100916

You can give the BC the ISO code, since you have it, when you submit it. As an admin, he can add the new language. 8-) Than after it's added, it can be used for longer, standalone works.

If this were, say, a 3-hour solo, then we'd need to add it separately.
Good to know, thanks Tricia!