[BIRDS] The Birds of the Air by John Frost -jo

Upcoming books being recorded by a solo reader
elsieselwyn

Post by elsieselwyn »

The Birds of the Air, by John Frost
In this book, aimed at children, the author provides a brief profile of 35 different bird species. Strangely for a book titled <i>The Birds of the Air</i>, the first two birds featured are flightless birds: the ostrich and the cassowary. (Summary by Elsie Selwyn)
Source text (please read only from this text!): https://archive.org/details/birdsofair00fros/page/n9/mode/2up

Target completion date: 2024-07-31

Prooflistening level: Standard
Prospective PLs, please see the Guide for Proof-listeners.

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the number of languishing projects on our server, we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't recorded anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process unless you are the BC or PL. Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin

Genres for the project: Children's Non-fiction/Science

Keywords that describe the book: birds, biology, flighted birds, flightless birds

========================================

LibriVox recording settings: mono (1 channel), 44100 Hz sample rate, 128 kbps constant bit rate MP3. See the Tech Specs

Intro to recording:
Leave 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning.

For the first section, say:
"Section # of The Birds of the Air. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information or to volunteer, please visit librivox.org." [Optional: "Read by your name."] "The Birds of the Air, by John Frost. Section Title."
For the second and subsequent sections, you may use the shortened intro if you wish:
"Section # of The Birds of the Air, by John Frost. This LibriVox recording is in the public domain." [Optional: "Read by your name."] "Section Title."
End of recording:
Say:
"End of section (or chapter) #." [Optional, and if not stated in the intro: "Read by your name, city, date."]
If you are recording the final section of the book, add:
"End of The Birds of the Air, by John Frost."
Leave 5 seconds of silence at the end.

Filename: birdsoftheair_##_frost_128kb.mp3 where ## is the section number. (e.g. birdsoftheair_01_frost_128kb.mp3)

Upload to the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader

MC to select: knotyouraveragejo

Copy and paste the file link generated by the uploader into the relevant Listen URL field in the Section Compiler, enter the duration in the Notes field, and post in this thread to let your PL and MC know that you have uploaded a file. You may also post the file link in the thread.
Last edited by elsieselwyn on April 10th, 2024, 11:28 am, edited 3 times in total.
Elsie :9:
Like Sweden and coming of age stories? Read for Pelle the Conqueror
Like travelogues and Anthony Trollope? Read for The West Indies and the Spanish Main
Shadowland: October, 1919
elsieselwyn

Post by elsieselwyn »

Unfortunately, I was unable to find any biographical information on Robert Ramble. He is not yet in our system.

MC and DPL most welcome :D
Like travelogues and Anthony Trollope? Read for The West Indies and the Spanish Main
lomond

Post by lomond »

Greetings -

DPL reporting for duty if you still need one.

Lomond
elsieselwyn

Post by elsieselwyn »

lomond wrote: April 9th, 2024, 9:17 pm Greetings -

DPL reporting for duty if you still need one.

Lomond
Thanks, lomond! Much appreciated!
knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by knotyouraveragejo »

Hi Elsie. I'll MC for you.
Jo
knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

IA seems to suggest Ramble is a pseudonym of John Frost, but I couldn't confirm that is the case.

Edited to add: Library of Congress lists Frost as the author.
Jo
elsieselwyn

Post by elsieselwyn »

knotyouraveragejo wrote: April 10th, 2024, 10:58 am IA seems to suggest Ramble is a pseudonym of John Frost, but I couldn't confirm that is the case.

Edited to add: Library of Congress lists Frost as the author.
Ok! I was just looking through HathiTrust's listing of John Frost's works to see if he was the author. I was able to confirm John Frost used Robert Ramble as a pseudonym (https://catalog.hathitrust.org/Record/008654992), but you beat me to it :D
elsieselwyn

Post by elsieselwyn »

Should I change the LibriVox introduction to say John Frost or Robert Ramble, pseudonym for John Frost?
elsieselwyn

Post by elsieselwyn »

Also, the MW has been filled in :D
knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

You can use Robert Ramble or John Frost in the intros. In the summary I would add that Robert Ramble is a pseudonym of John Frost. A search for either will bring up John Frost as the author. His catalog blurb mentions the pseudonym.
Jo
elsieselwyn

Post by elsieselwyn »

knotyouraveragejo wrote: April 10th, 2024, 11:27 am You can use Robert Ramble or John Frost in the intros. In the summary I would add that Robert Ramble is a pseudonym of John Frost. A search for either will bring up John Frost as the author. His catalog blurb mentions the pseudonym.
Okay! Sounds good!
elsieselwyn

Post by elsieselwyn »

I have uploaded the first two sections.
lomond

Post by lomond »

Greetings -

And the first two sections are now listed as PL OK.

A couple of weeks ago, I had a turkey vulture land some 25 feet from me when I was out on a country road here in Oregon. Interesting bird.

Lomond
elsieselwyn

Post by elsieselwyn »

Sections 2-7 have been uploaded. No rush on PLing them.
elsieselwyn

Post by elsieselwyn »

lomond wrote: April 11th, 2024, 8:51 pm Greetings -

And the first two sections are now listed as PL OK.

A couple of weeks ago, I had a turkey vulture land some 25 feet from me when I was out on a country road here in Oregon. Interesting bird.

Lomond
I am just quoting you in case you missed my earlier post that the rest of the sections are up. I don't want to rush you. I just sometimes have accidentally not subscribed to a thread that I was DPLing for and completely missed that more sections were ready for me to DPL. :D