SOLO [Mystic Philosphy] The Initiates of the Flame by Manly P. Hall - rr

Upcoming books being recorded by a solo reader
BrotherMichael

Post by BrotherMichael »

The Initiates of the Flame, by Manly P. Hall (1901 - 1990)

Volunteers outside the USA: Manly P. Hall died in 1990. This person's work may still be protected by copyright in countries where copyright duration is determined by the author's death date. In Europe this is 70 years; in Canada it is 70 years for authors who died after 1971; and in Australia it is 70 years for authors who died after 1955.
A book about the spiritual flame that nourishes all created things and the initiates who guard it. It explores the mysteries of alchemy, Egypt, the Grail, and the pyramids through the eyes of a mystic philosopher. (Summary by )
Source text (please read only from this text!): https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/55687

Target completion date: 2024-05-01

Prooflistening level: Standard
Prospective PLs, please see the Guide for Proof-listeners.

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the number of languishing projects on our server, we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't recorded anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process unless you are the BC or PL. Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin

Keywords that describe the book: philosophy, egypt, Occult, spiritualism, freemason, esoteric, grail

========================================

LibriVox recording settings: mono (1 channel), 44100 Hz sample rate, 128 kbps constant bit rate MP3. See the Tech Specs

Intro to recording:
Leave 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning.

For the first section, say:
"Section (or Chapter) # of The Initiates of the Flame. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information or to volunteer, please visit librivox.org." [Optional: "Read by your name."] "The Initiates of the Flame, by Manly P. Hall. Section Title."
For the second and subsequent sections, you may use the shortened intro if you wish:
"Section (or Chapter) # of The Initiates of the Flame, by Manly P. Hall. This LibriVox recording is in the public domain." [Optional: "Read by your name."] "Section Title."
End of recording:
Say:
"End of section (or chapter) #." [Optional, and if not stated in the intro: "Read by your name, city, date."]
If you are recording the final section of the book, add:
"End of The Initiates of the Flame, by Manly P. Hall."
Leave 5 seconds of silence at the end.

Filename: initiatesoftheflame_##_hall_128kb.mp3 where ## is the section number. (e.g. initiatesoftheflame_01_hall_128kb.mp3)

Upload to the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader

MC to select: redrun

Copy and paste the file link generated by the uploader into the relevant Listen URL field in the Section Compiler, enter the duration in the Notes field, and post in this thread to let your PL and MC know that you have uploaded a file. You may also post the file link in the thread.
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

I won't be MC'ing this, since it's not PD for me.

You may be getting a bit of a delay on getting this set up, because you haven't done any sections in group projects, "to get your feet wet". While it's not required, it is highly recommended to do one or two, to get a feel for how long it takes to record and edit before jumping in to a solo.

But you do have the length of this work going for you - a nice, short one as a first solo. :)

Anyway, just wanted to check in to let you know we see you. 8-)
School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
BrotherMichael

Post by BrotherMichael »

No problem. I am in no hurry, and have been recording and editing the sections already to get a feel for the process.
redrun
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by redrun »

Welcome, BrotherMichael! I look forward to working with you! :mrgreen:

As the solo reader, you are the Book Coordinator (BC). You'll be responsible for adding your recorded chapters to the back-end system. As you do, you'll notice that the "Magic Window" (MW) in your first post will update, so everyone can follow along.

I'll be joining as your Meta-Coordinator (MC). I'm here to answer your questions as needed, to do some setup on the back end, and to send your project off to the catalog once completed!

We'll also have folks volunteer to Proof Listen (PL) your recorded chapters. Often, someone will volunteer to PL all the files for a project, becoming that project's Dedicated Proof Listener (DPL). I've added a tilde (~) to the thread title, so anyone looking to volunteer for the role, will know it's open.

What to do now:

I'll have you set up your account in our back-end system, following instructions here:
https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php?title=Soloists:_How_to_update_the_Magic_Window#Accessing_the_System_%E2%80%93_First_Time_Login

Once your account is set up, you can click the 'BC Admin' link within your first post, to access the system.
For now, I'll have you finish entering the chapter titles (I filled out a few, as examples).

When each chapter is ready:

Follow the instructions in the first post to upload the file, and be sure to copy the link that the Uploader gives you.

Then, paste that link into the 'Listen URL' column in the back-end system, enter the duration in the Notes column, and change the Status column to 'Ready for PL'. You can find more detailed instructions further down the wiki page, if needed.

Lastly, you'll post to this forum thread to let us know that there's a file ready for Proof Listening!
BrotherMichael

Post by BrotherMichael »

Intro and forward section uploaded and linked.
redrun
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by redrun »

Alright! Well done, I know there's a lot to sort through, especially on your first project! You even got the status column, which is easy to forget. :wink:
Just one more change needed sometime, and that's to add the duration of the file into the Notes column.

In the meantime, since this project is officially underway, we'll stick around the Launch Pad for just another day or so, and then off to the 'Going Solo' forum! If nobody's come along to PL your section for you by then, I can put up a notice for you in Proof Listeners Wanted.
BrotherMichael

Post by BrotherMichael »

I just knew i was forgetting something. Corrected.

Thanks!
redrun
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by redrun »

Perfect, and now we're all set for a Proof Listener! :D
BrotherMichael

Post by BrotherMichael »

chapter 1 uploaded
BrotherMichael

Post by BrotherMichael »

Chapter 2 uploaded.

Also, a previous comment used the abbreviation "PD". What does this refer to?
redrun
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by redrun »

Around here, it's short for 'Public Domain'. :wink:

In order to record anything for LibriVox, the source text must not be protected by copyright law in the United States (where our servers are). That can mean the US copyright is expired, or that it's a government publication that is exempt from copyright entirely.

Volunteers from outside the USA should also take care that they obey their own local copyright laws - most of which are based on when the author dies, rather than when the book is published. If you see someone say a book is not 'PD for me', the author probably died less than 70 years ago.
BrotherMichael

Post by BrotherMichael »

Makes sense, thanks for the clarification.
redrun
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by redrun »

I'm moving us over to the Going Solo forum, and putting ad in Listeners Wanted for you. :D
Cbteddy

Post by Cbteddy »

Happy to DPL if still needed!
Cheers,
Claire

~~Books are like people, but usually more interesting~~
~~I'm not addicted to reading. I can stop as soon as I finish the next chapter~~

Come read!
The Boys' Book of Famous Rulers by Lydia Hoyt Farmer
redrun
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by redrun »

Welcome aboard! :mrgreen: