[HISTORICAL NOVEL] The Making of Americans by Gertrude Stein -jo

Upcoming books being recorded by a solo reader
martywell

Post by martywell »

The Making of Americans, by Gertrude Stein (1874 - 1946)
In The Making of Americans, Gertrude Stein sets out to tell "a history of a family's progress," radically reworking the traditional family saga novel to encompass her vision of personality and psychological relationships. As the history progresses over three generations, Stein also meditates on her own writing, on the making of The Making of Americans, and on America. (Summary by Google Books)
Source text (please read only from this text!): https://archive.org/details/the-making-of-americans/page/n9/mode/2up

Target completion date: 2024-09-01

Prooflistening level: Standard
Prospective PLs, please see the Guide for Proof-listeners.

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the number of languishing projects on our server, we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't recorded anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process unless you are the BC or PL. Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin

Genres for the project: Literary Fiction

Keywords that describe the book: novel, historical, modernist, philosophical, experimental

========================================

LibriVox recording settings: mono (1 channel), 44100 Hz sample rate, 128 kbps constant bit rate MP3. See the Tech Specs

Intro to recording:
Leave 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning.

For the first section, say:
"Section (or Chapter) # of The Making of Americans. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information or to volunteer, please visit librivox.org." [Optional: "Read by your name."] "The Making of Americans, by Gertrude Stein. Section Title."
For the second and subsequent sections, you may use the shortened intro if you wish:
"Section (or Chapter) # of The Making of Americans, by Gertrude Stein. This LibriVox recording is in the public domain." [Optional: "Read by your name."] "Section Title."
End of recording:
Say:
"End of section (or chapter) #." [Optional, and if not stated in the intro: "Read by your name, city, date."]
If you are recording the final section of the book, add:
"End of The Making of Americans, by Gertrude Stein."
Leave 5 seconds of silence at the end.

Filename: makingofamericans_##_stein_128kb.mp3 where ## is the section number. (e.g. makingofamericans_01_stein_128kb.mp3)

Upload to the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader

MC to select: knotyouraveragejo

Copy and paste the file link generated by the uploader into the relevant Listen URL field in the Section Compiler, enter the duration in the Notes field, and post in this thread to let your PL and MC know that you have uploaded a file. You may also post the file link in the thread.
Last edited by martywell on April 7th, 2024, 3:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
martywell

Post by martywell »

Thanks to ChuckW for suggesting this. I have never studied Stein and have always been curious. I know it will be a long journey, but the text itself should be relatively easy to record -- simple vocabulary.

I look forward to some kind and generous folk to MC and PL.

Marty
knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by knotyouraveragejo »

I can MC for you, Marty. Please confirm that you wrote the summary.
Jo
martywell

Post by martywell »

Jo
That summary came from Google Books. I edited the text. Is that ok?
Thanks,
Marty
knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by knotyouraveragejo »

As long as it came from a PD text, it would be, but if it"s a description of the book on its google books page, then it is probably not PD. Perhaps you can write one of your own after recording the book.
Jo
martywell

Post by martywell »

I will do that. Thanks! And thanks for being MC. Marty
martywell

Post by martywell »

I have uploaded section 1.

https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/makingofamericans_01_stein_128kb.mp3
54:15

I'm hoping someone will agree to PL. I realize this is a huge project. Each section is close to an hour and there are 50 of them. My general plan is to finish 3 sections a week and that's a big commitment for someone to PL. I understand if it takes longer that my original estimate of 9/1/24 to complete. I shoot for that for me, but if it takes longer to PL that's ok with me. Thanks,
Marty
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

Yep, this is a huge project!

I'm being very selective about my PL projects right now to fit in with my time demands, but I would be glad to join you in this journey. There may be times when I'm traveling, like next week, but I'm usually able to keep up with PL tasks. I've listened to a sample of your first section, and your reading is fluent and easy to listen to. I usually don't follow the text when PLing these types of solos, but will check text if anything draws my attention. If this is okay with you, I'm willing to volunteer.

~ Larry
martywell

Post by martywell »

Thank you so much! Marty
martywell

Post by martywell »

Larry,
if I wasn't clear, yes, please PL for me! I'm a very careful proofer myself. I won't say I never make a mistake, but they are uncommon. Thanks again, Marty
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

martywell wrote: April 10th, 2024, 8:38 am Larry,
if I wasn't clear, yes, please PL for me! I'm a very careful proofer myself. I won't say I never make a mistake, but they are uncommon. Thanks again, Marty
I've got this on my master spreadsheet, and have Section 1 downloaded, so I'll have your first report soon!
Thanks for including me on this adventure. :)

~ Larry
martywell

Post by martywell »

silverquill

Post by silverquill »

martywell wrote: April 9th, 2024, 9:43 am I have uploaded section 1.

https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/makingofamericans_01_stein_128kb.mp3
54:15
Glad to mark Section 1 PL OK!

~ Larry
martywell

Post by martywell »

Thanks, Larry. I've added another one (section 3).

55:16
https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/makingofamericans_03_stein_128kb.mp3

Marty
martywell

Post by martywell »